ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Pros and cons of duromine

I recently got a script for duromine, my doctor thinks it will help get me back on track with my weight. I Quit smoking and got the implanon about 8 months ago, and put on about 7 kg ( i had lost 15 before that).
    Since putting on the weight, i CAN NOT LOSE IT. I started a new job where i am constantly moving and active, i have been jogging/running 3 times a week in the morning (or trying to, its hard when the place is flooding!)
    I eat healthy, i do have the occasional treat etc but 6 days of the week we eat good food and but still nothing. My weight hasnt budged.

I just wanted to hear peoples experiences. The Pros and cons of taking it. Ive heard it makes you moody... the implanon already makes me moody during my "time of the month"
    Ive also considered getting the implanon taken out but it was inserted very deep, and im worried about missing work to have it cut out.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only went on duromine for a month because of the cost but loved it. Didn't experience any side effects besides not being able to sleep the first day I took it. Lost 8kgs in the month and I have managed to keep it off. Going to go back on it when I can afford it cos still have 20kgs to lose

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently there are bad side affects and it can make you a bit "crazy". I was wondering if anyone had a bad experience from it. Guess ill have to try it to see,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by confusd View Post
    Apparently there are bad side affects and it can make you a bit "crazy". I was wondering if anyone had a bad experience from it. Guess ill have to try it to see,
    Everyone reacts differently to different things. I just let people around me know I was on it so they could watch my behaviour as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pros: weight loss, energy

Cons: mood swings, heart palpitations, really thirsty and always peeing, paranoia, sores on arms, always angry, expensive

I was on it for about 6 months and lost about 30 kilos. I loved it at the time but everyone hated me while I was on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The only side-effect I had was me feeling kinda jittery. Just a tiny bit, but after a month of it, I just stopped taking my duromine tablets. I've still got about 2 weeks worth yet, I'm just not interested in taking them because of that.

They made me not hungry, and thus I lost weight...

I'm like you in that my body clings to excess fat for dear life and it's one reason my doctor suggested it. I didn't go in to him and ask like a lot of people on the drug do.

I'd say give it a go, and if it has you feeling like rubbish, stop taking it. No point in losing weight if you feel horrible while doing it. Take your tablet in the morning before breakfast to avoid the insomnia.

All of the side-effects everyone scared me with were not true for me. I could sleep, I didn't go insane, I wasn't constantly thirsty, etc etc... I just stopped thinking about food and thus didn't eat much of it, and never felt hungry... and I felt jittery. That's it.

Chubear is offline Mummy to two baby rhinos (according to them!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i took it for a few months to try lose 2kg. i never lost it. i would be up til4 am and still get up at 7. i would cry at nothing. i had severe nausea from travelling that would last for about 4 hours after i got off the bus ( not so good as i went to chool 5 days a week). coming off it was like a withdrawal, it is an amphetamine substance. i wouldnt recommend it for anyone, but its up to each person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's like legal speed. It's a personal choice. It's certainly not good for you but it's effective for losing weight.

If you're not losing weight through a good diet and exercise do look into the imbalance that is causing this. If your system is unbalanced perhaps it's worth investigating your hormones, full blood count and talk to a natropath to address the real cause. Duramine may simply cause more stress on your system and worsen the existing issue.

Getting your health under control is more important than rapid weight loss in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would say it depends on your weight. If you a quite overweight and it is effecting your health then I would say try it.

But if you aren't obese I would shy away from it. I know that's easy to say from someone in a healthy weight range, but I would recommend investigating your diet and exercise regime. Are you calorie counting? How long are you getting your heart rate up? Can I suggest interval training? It burns much more cals. Try changing it up too, bike ride one day, run the next, swim another, keep your body guessing. My metabolism has changed since having kids and I find I need to work out 5 days a week to keep my weight in check.

I know a few people that have used duromine and they have lost weight. But as soon as they come off the tablets they put the weight straight back on as their lifestyle hadn't changed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have recently started interval training and joined a new gym. which gives me a few personal training session and i get a new exercise program and eating guide. I was thinking of taking the duramine When i start this (i wont be getting fully into it until the new year due to work and the gym being closed).

The doctors idea was: i must of put the weight on from quitting smoking and getting the implanon. The reason i cant lose any of it is because of the implanon.

Although i do alot of physical activity at work, and i eat a decent diet, lots of salad, fresh fruit and veges. (although im ALWAYS hungry on days that i work)

Its just really gotten to me recently, i was doing really well with weight loss till i quit smoking!

ETA: I have NEVER been in the range of "normal weight" on a BMI calculator. even when i was a size 10 and at my skinniest and looked to thin and horrid. I was still in the Obese range =\
    Last edited by Bank; 23-12-2010 at 20:22.