+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default High TSH levels??

I got a call from the antenatal clinic yesterday after having my first appointment at 21 weeks (that was as soon as they could get me in). The nurse said she was reviewing my file and noticed that my Thyroid levels were elevated and I would need to have my blood drawn again. I had my blood work done in September with my GP, and was told everything was fine. So this morning I went to the hospital and on the paper the test was for TSH and Thyroid antibodies. Tonight the curiosity got the better of me and I pulled out my old blood test results. My TSH was 8.3 and the normal range says .40-4. I don't have any symptoms that I know of as I have felt pretty great my whole pregnancy. Of course, one should never google these things as it has come back with all kind of horrible things from second trimester miscarrying to low I.Q in the baby. It sounds pretty serious, and I am wondering why in the world they waited 3.5 months to have me retest when on the bottom of the blood test results it says the test needs to be repeated. It seems medication is needed to treat TSH levels that are this high. I'm hoping it's nothing but has anyone else had high TSH levels, and what was the outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know about tsh during pregnancy, but 8 doesn't sound too scary. My daughter was diagnosed at 10 with hasimotos and her tsh was 119. I hope that makes you feel a bit better. If they were concerned they would be monitoring it, my daughter has 6 weekly blood tests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on the other end of the spectrum, my TSH levels are so low they don't even show up, but that causes my T3 & T4 to skyrocket which has the same risks during pregnancy.

Try not to worry too much (and stop Googling, lol!), I was told all horrible things by the GP who first did my pregnancy blood tests, but upon seeing my endocrinologist, he told me the risks were very very low, and all of the risks were quite outdated and no cases had been shown in recent years. So that put me at ease.

DD was born perfectly healthy, no thyroid issues at all even though I had to take meds during my pregnancy for thyroid that they don't really like you taking in the 3rd tri as it can affect bub, but I had take them anyway.

Hope your next set of bloods give you a clearer picture!
    Last edited by MyCheekyMonkey; 18-12-2010 at 19:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

8 is pretty scary considering you shouldn't be over a 1-2 during pregnancy, and you rarely conceive with anything over a 4 because your thyroid can't sustain the pregnancy.

I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on meds and referred to an Endocrinologist. Unfortunately, the midwife said any questions about any damage already done to the baby would have to be directed to the Endo (which I haven't seen yet), but because my levels dropped from 8.3 to 4.26, she thinks that's a good sign. At any rate, I'm just happy it has been noticed and I am on meds and don't have to worry so much about the 2nd trimester miscarriages, placental abruption, preterm labour, and so on which is possible with untreated hypo. It still ****es me off that it was "overlooked" to begin with, but there isn't anything I can do about it now.