+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Childrens books for single parent families?

Does anyone know of some children's books for single parent families?

Im finding it really hard to find books which don't envolve dad/daddy etc...

Ds has nothing to do with his father and has no other father figure in his life so I was hoping to find a book which portrays our family better...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bookshelf contains primarily a lot of Disney books, an entire Thomas the Tank Engine collection, Dora, Blue's Clues, and Winnie The Pooh along with some Golden Books and a few others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MickQLD4110 View Post
    Our bookshelf contains primarily a lot of Disney books, an entire Thomas the Tank Engine collection, Dora, Blue's Clues, and Winnie The Pooh along with some Golden Books and a few others.
    Um... I think she means books where a single parent family is portrayed? Not just books in general

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    there is that one called my super single mummy or something along those lines. cant remember what its called sorry.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    "We are wearing out the naughty step" Mick Inkpen is about a single mother (she has a boyfriend though)

"the family book" by Todd Parr, is excellent and portrays all sorts of families

they're the only ones i can think of off the tops of my head, i'll have a think

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not strictly about single parents, but The Family Book by Todd Parr is about different families, including single parents.

My Super Single Mum is the one me n he is talking about. Written by a very awesome single mummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    hm... I havent come across any for the no male role model single mummy

I do have "Two Homes" by Claire Masurel (it is American so has Mommy ) which portrays the child in two homes which I have found useful.

Sorry Im not really any help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter&jelly View Post
    Um... I think she means books where a single parent family is portrayed? Not just books in general
    I realise that, but those books are all safe in that they generally don't include a Dad.

I would recommend having a look at http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...amilies&page=1

Then if you want to buy them online, use a site such as www.booko.com.au to find the best price to compare (Book Depository in the UK tend to be very good in my personal experience).

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I *think* some of the Shirley Hughes books don't have a father in them, most likely because they were written in the 70's so dad was probably at work or in the pub I don't remember Alfie and Annie Rose's father being around at all hmmmm I'd check but don't want to go crashing around in DS's room...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope Alfie and Annie Rose have a Dad - though you are right he is not many of them.

The Harry and the bucketful of Dinosaur books don't have a dad in them - just mum, Nan (or Nanna in the show) Sam the big Sister and Harry .... oh and his Dinosaurs of course!

I don't know for sure but I think the "I love you blue Kangaroo" ones don't mention a dad either - or he might be in one or two but not the others.... will go check now. <----- Librarian Smilie
    ETA - I love you blue Kangaroo" doesn't mention dad at all neither does Happy birthday to you blue Kangaroo" but the Father is mentioned in the "What shall we do Blue Kangaroo" book.
    Last edited by Seacretsquirrel; 14-12-2010 at 20:27.