+ Reply to Thread
    BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Room Sharing- Dilemma, please help!

so im due in a few weeks with DD and she will be rooming in with me and DF for the first 2-3 months.

we have a 3 bedroom house, and DS1 already has the master bedroom. DS2 has the next biggest room, and then me and DF are in the smallest bedroom.

my plan WAS to put the two boys together in DS1's room (the master bedroom) to share the room, and then set up DS2's room as a baby nursery for my little girl.

BUT my dilemma is this....ds1 starts prep next year, so will be at school mon-fri. DS2 is not quite 2, and wakes at 4:30am EVERY morning without fail. and then wakes up DS1. DS2 occasionally still wakes during the night (only once if he has lost his dummy).

am i going to want them sharing a room and have the possibility of ds2 waking ds1 and then ds1 being over tired at school?

should i give the boys a room each, ie, put ds1 in our room, keep ds2 in his room he is in now, me and df move back in master bedroom and set up a space for DD's cot etc in there?

ARGH!!! what to do??? please help!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had this dilemma too

DD1 and DD2 share a room, and DD2 was still an irregular sleeper when DD1 started school.

We (for months) had to put DD1 to bed early so she had enough sleep for school the next day cause DD2 would wake so early. BUT DD2 would also muck around at night in bed, which meant DD1 still didn't get to sleep early enough because DD2 made too much noise and mucked around s DD1 culdn't get to sleep

SO

We had to put DD1 to bed early for school, let DD2 go to sleep on the lounge and then carry her to her bed once she was asleep

They did sort it out though, eventually and now works quite well.

If you were going to end up putting them in the same room, then I would start now so your DS1 can get used to sleep/wake habits of your DS2 IYKWIM??

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

BoyCrazy (10-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think if it were me I would switch yourselves back to the master bedroom and set the cot up in there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bambibambino For This Useful Post:

BoyCrazy (10-12-2010)

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    thanks hun! we were going to be doing the move this weekend, so that ds2 doesnt hold any grudges or think that he has to give up his room for the baby..

i think we will still stick with our original plans though as it means DF and i will also (eventually) have our own room

thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd put the boys in together - I grew up sharing a room with my older sister, my father grew up sharing a room with 5 siblings - we all survived Kids are pretty resiliant, school will knock him about to begin with anyway. He'll either adjust to waking up with his younger sibling, learn to sleep through it or your youngest son will learn to leave him be on school days.

I've never really understood the stresses about putting kids in together to be honest but I hope you find a solution that works for your family

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Add Water For This Useful Post:

BoyCrazy (10-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im faced with a similar problem, We have a 3 bedroom house, currently the girls each have their own rooms with DD1 in the bigger room which is only a little bit smaller then our master bedroom.

When DS is born he'll be in the master for a few months in a bassinet. Everyone thinks im then going to put the girls in together Cause DD1 has bunks but im not.

DD1 is at school and is 4 years older then DD2 while there will only be just barely a 2 year gap between DS and DD2. Plus DD1 is still a restless sleeper wile DD2 is silent and out of it for a good 12 hours.

So once DS needs the cot, ill be setting up a proper toddler bed for DD2, putting the side back on the cot and putting the 2 little ones in together.

Even though they'll be in the smallest room i think it'll be better that way. Of course if bub keeps waking DD2 up i may have to re think this plan, but im hoping he'll go straight into a good night routine like DD2 did.

Once DD2 is older (mayb around 4 and DS 2 ill be moving her in with her sister into the pink room (cause it is pink) and ill give DS the smaller green room (cause its green).

Hopefully this will work cause by then the back deck (which is huge) will be converted into a playroom and all their toys and stuff can be out there.

ETA: Ive just realised the gaps between your 3 kids is roughly the same as the gaps between my 3 kids except your DS1 was 6 months after my DD1, you DS2 was a month before my DD2 and your bub is a month before my bub.
    Last edited by 1plus2; 09-12-2010 at 12:43.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1plus2 For This Useful Post:

BoyCrazy (10-12-2010)