+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    haha... Yeah.. not that i need the chickens for eggs.......

We have a cleaner at work who brings fresh eggs... She only charges $2 a dozen!!... And they are SOOO good!...

She got to the stage where she was actually throwing them out on the grass because she had too many!... She says she gets between 15-25 eggs a DAY!

When i get chooks im going to get chicken-keeping lessons from her! haha

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlantic Puffin For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (11-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We had an austrolorp that laid every day and then every few days well into chicken retirement. She even went off laying and then back on. She was also very cute as a day old chick.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have Isa Browns and a Bantam.
    I wouldn't recommend a Bantam- they get clucky and sit on the other eggs (which can be a good thing if you have a rooster!)which turns every one of them off laying- its a PITA!

We get 7 eggs a day, one from each bok bok. They all have names- schnitzel, roast, nugget.....you get the drift.

Ours free range all day and only go in to roost at night and to lay. They have a 2 story coup which DH and the kids built!!
    They share the yard with our lab, or should I say, they allow our lab to spend time in the yard- they really do rule the......excuse the pun..........roost!
    They drink from the dogs dish, eat her food if they see it and crawl all over her- she takes it and doesn't hurt them- ever!

I have a bit of a bird 'thing', bit of a phobia, so I dont like it too much but we're learning to co-exist......and I just get the kids to shoo them away if they get too close to me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    mum swears by her ordinary brown hens, don't know the name of the breed. i think they lay one each a day? they're good eggs, too. and the chickens are the ultimate composting machines lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just subscribing, when I buy my new house I'm getting chooks, so I'm starting my research

My mum has chooks, and I currently get her excess eggs, there is no way I want to go back to buying eggs if i can help it, you can't beat homegrown!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (11-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ooohh im so excited i just got my new girls. we found out a property here sells battery hens for $2 each. we got 8 and apparently they have got some good laying in them still. im glad we will give them a better life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like there's a few wannabe chook owners, count me in. I have been building my chook house for AT LEAST a year and I WILL finish it by mid January and I WILL have chooks by mid feb. I love the big bottomed brown chookies, I think they are Isa Browns & Wyandottes and Barneveldors but don't know anyone who has had Barneveldors. Has anyone here had them, I've heard they are extremely placid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have Rhode Island Reds and just love them. They are good layers and being a larger bird, we dont have any issues with cats etc trying to get them. They scare the cats off!!! We had the little one go broody a few times but most RIR's dont tend to stay broody which can be an issue if you want to breed either by getting a rooster or putting fertile eggs under them.

Ours free range all day on our half acre. We only feed them about 1 cup of scratch mix a day between the three girls, everything else they forage. They also get all our food scraps - we just chuck everything in the compost, they scratch around to take the bits they want and the rest stays there to break down. My friend also works at a local supermarket so will bring round a box or two of fruit and veg scraps every week or so for them.

The only problem we have had with them is that lately they have decided they dont want to sleep in the coop. They will go in there to lay but then roost for the night on the table outside our back door. Silly chookies!

For anyone looking at getting chooks there are a few good books around, my faves being Jackie French's 'The Chook Book' and 'Backyard Poultry Naturally' by Alanna Moore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi we have 4 australorp cross, our ladies east a combo of scraps and organic pellets, we usually get 3-4 eggs a day in summer and 1-2 in winter, they are great layers and have a good temprament too..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I join in on the chook chat?
    I am picking up 2 dozen fertile light sussex eggs tomorrow morning to put in my incubator on Friday, so hopefully in a little over 3 weeks I'll have some very cute chicks hatching. From there I plan on keeping 2 or 3 and selling the rest of the chicks (at about 5 weeks old, when they don't need heat any more).