ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Aya~ View Post
    "L's maths has continued to be of concern and despite my frequent questioning as to whether he needs help or is understanding what is being asked, he has remained reluctant to seek assistance. With the net result that L's maths has not made the progress that it should have. I urge L to become more admitting of his problems before he is really left behind."

I want to approach this teacher on Monday to raise these questions, but I just wanted some advice as to whether I was putting too much responsibility on her as his teacher.
    Firstly - its December - I cant believe this is the FIRST you have heard about it - was there no testing regarding this topic throughout the year? There are statewide tests in QLD .. surely there is the same in your state - tests that draw attention to where children are on the 'bell curve' of their year level? I think its terrible that the communication has been this slack???

I know that he is in upper primary school .. but the bolded part above really rubs me the wrong way ... what does she want him to do? stand up and say .. Hi my name is L and I suck at maths?? its freaking HARD to be 12 years old ... and at ANY age its confronting to feel 'dumb' .. sigh .. and if he needs support - well .. tbh .. december is just a little late to be recognising it...

How is L supposed to come to accept that maths isn't his strong point if YOU as his mother dont know? You could have organised support for him (tutor or otherwise) .. or even some peer support from someone else ... but the year is over now ..

How much of year seven maths can be done without a good understanding of year six? gosh I would be fuming too babe ..

Aya I think you need to chat with him and see what he wants to do - but he might need to spend some of the hols practicing to get ready for next year, so he doesn't start grade seven already hating school

I'm sad to read that he is not wanting to go to school .. its heartbreaking that he is so aware of how he isn't 'getting' maths ... (I still hate maths myself) ... to both of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Thank you Jen , I am in tears. I so feel like I have failed him

I felt exactly the way you have described above, like he has to stand up and admit in public (like AA style) that he doesn't quite get maths

I feel better reading what you wrote as I knew you would tell me whether I was on the wrong page or not, so thankyou

now to try and fix this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Oh and his mid-year NAPLAN results indicated that he was below the State average, but on par with the school average.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe remember that, nearing the end of year 6, the teacher will be trying hard to help your son become a more independent learner who will seek help himself when he isn't sure of what is happening. But yes, it probably should've been raised earlier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely approach the teacher to gain a full understanding of what is going on and how can he be ready for next year. Talk to him about his feelings too maybe he has had the attention and decided not to take in on board, make sure you have all your info before you go into see teacher. Disappointing that it is so late in the year to hear this.

All the best !