ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I should also mention too (sorry) that on the second page of his report, it says this:

"Although he continues to experience difficulties in maths, in recent small group sessions there has been a noticeable improvement in L's maths work across all areas."

Now I am seriously confuddled

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah I too would be peeved if this was the first I'd heard of it.

Did you go to parent-teacher interviews at the end of 2nd term? How has his homework been? Has he needed much help with that? Have you had much contact with his teacher over the year? (drop off and pick up? ) Any conversation with her regarding how he's been doing?

I'd be really confused if all year she'd been saying he was fine, and he'd been doing fine on his homework, and she said he was fine at the last parent-teacher interviews and then that came back on the final report.

Very confused. I understand your frustration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Yeah I too would be peeved if this was the first I'd heard of it.

Did you go to parent-teacher interviews at the end of 2nd term? How has his homework been? Has he needed much help with that? Have you had much contact with his teacher over the year? (drop off and pick up? ) Any conversation with her regarding how he's been doing?

I'd be really confused if all year she'd been saying he was fine, and he'd been doing fine on his homework, and she said he was fine at the last parent-teacher interviews and then that came back on the final report.

Very confused. I understand your frustration.
    Yes, definitely the first I have heard about it.

When the parent/teacher interviews were being held, I had just been diagnosed with cancer and was well, in a bit of shock. I did telephone her and explain the situation and asked her if she needed to discuss anything with me urgently, regarding L. She said that there were no major concerns for her requiring a meeting and that we should just take it as it comes.

There have been no further opportunities to meet with her since then, and as stated previously, she has never contacted me outlining anything either.

In regards to homework, he doesn't have very much never has this year. When he does have homework, it is usually English based, like spelling lists, research topics etc.

I just can't help but feel slightly annoyed that this has been left to become as bad as she as written. I guess I am angry at myself that I haven't cottoned on to it much MUCH earlier too

ARRRRggggghhhhhhh kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Year 6 so....he's 11...or 12?
    Ummm...no, it is not HIS responsibility to seek help for himself. It is his teachers responsibility to inform YOU that he needs assistance and then the teacher, you and your child all work together to help him.

I'd be p!ssed if that were on my yr 6 kids report.

Not a teacher, but 5 girlfriends are, so I have a fair idea of what they have to put up with.

I would expect to be contacted before the end of the year. I wouldn't expect the teacher to be doing one-on-one with my child, I would expect that they would inform me of any issues or downfalls so that I could work with my child or hire a tutor.

Raising it at the end of the year in the report achieves nothing.

Did you have parent/teacher meetings? Did they not raise it then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Read above Mel The OP had just been dx with cancer @ mid-year

I really don't know what to say, I don't know why she didn't do more through the year. Motivation is a HUGE problem with a lot of kids I've noticed (cousins, even with supportive parents, friends kids etc) and its not something that can be fixed by in 2 seconds asking ONCE if they want help I'm sorry she hasn't done more for your poor son and thought that leaving it till the end of year would in any way be beneficial

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks girls

I don't mean to make out as though my son is an angel or anything, because he is 12, he clearly has his moments (sometimes many) I'm sure there would have been moments where laziness took over and he didn't ask for clarification.

BUT

I just can't help but feel she has let him down, by letting him fall behind (her words)

He had glowingly wonderful results and feedback for his english, science, health and PD subjects, everything but maths

He is really low now because of it. He has just told me he thinks there is no point going to school for the last 2 weeks as he thinks he is a dumb @ss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some kids are simply too embarrassed to ask for help over and over. It is the teacher's responsibility to notice if someone is struggling and to nip it in the bud BEFORE it becomes too much of a problem where they have to spend too much time on the one child. Getting the parent's support is important and if this wasn't sought, then the onus is in her. If it were me I'd be questioning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it hard to pass judgement without understanding the situation fully. I have kids in my class that no matter how much help is offered they are simply not interested at all. There is only so much you can do to make a child interested. It then becomes an issue of fairness. Should I spend my extra time and efforts with a child who continues to show no interest in helping themselves (not saying at all that this is what your son is like. Like I said don't know the background situation at all), or do I spend time on those children who are keen, driven and interested in furthering their education. These thoughts are what I struggle with daily with a couple of my kids. It really tugs a heart string to be honest as you don't ever want to feel like you could have/should have done more.
    Sorry I dont think that was any help at all Just wanted you to know that I'm sure the teacher finds it really hard to see anyone "left behind"

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG just read the your other post and I am so sorry you have had to battle cancer! Now I understand exactly why your son may be disinterested. I know when we found out my mum had cancer I was at uni and just "gave up" because I was so devastated. Perhaps he is just still dealing with your health issues and therefore is worried about more important things.
    Also if one of the parents told me she had cancer and then asked if I had any serious concerns about her child I would say no as well. Nothing seems to compare and I wouldn't consider much to be more serious than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree - I'd be peeved if this was the first I've heard of this AND your DS should have been referred at least to the school chaplain or counselling seeing that you and the family have some pretty serious issues to contend with]

His lack of trying and concentration would have been excaberated by your helath issues

NOW that you know about this and he's off to high school next year, I'd be getting the teacher to assist with some very clear areas that need attention so they can be addressed over the summer break ( not summer school as such, but 1/2 hour per day would probably bring him up to square)

*maybe* the teacher didn't want to bother you?? Not good enough really, it's not too late to fix it but she has contributed to letting him slip behind

Good Luck