ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Question for the Teachers on BH

I DO NOT want to be disrespectful, as I think being a teacher would be one of THE hardest jobs in the world, but as a parent I need to ask this question.

Where does a teacher's responsibility start/finish?

My son just brought his year 6 report home from school.

All in all, very very proud of him and the effort he has made throughout the year.

When it comes to his maths however, this is what his teacher has said:

"L's maths has continued to be of concern and despite my frequent questioning as to whether he needs help or is understanding what is being asked, he has remained reluctant to seek assistance. With the net result that L's maths has not made the progress that it should have. I urge L to become more admitting of his problems before he is really left behind."

Now please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it her job to make sure he is not left behind?? Isn't it her job to make sure she knows if he is struggling to understand things in class??

Not once has this teacher EVER picked up the phone to me to indicate there was this level of a concern with his maths.

We do random problem solving questions every afternoon, and apart from sometimes being a bit slow with his responses (ie. takes a little time to think about it, before answering) he answers them right, and when he doesn't, we can usually work through them until he understands them.

I want to approach this teacher on Monday to raise these questions, but I just wanted some advice as to whether I was putting too much responsibility on her as his teacher.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    By the sounds of that the teacher has ASKED L if he would like the extra help with his maths. However he is declining the help. To me, if he maths are a problem he should accept the help so that he doesn't fall behind. A teacher cant give help if the student will not accept it. Therefore he will fall behind if he doesn't accept help.

I think the comment that was made is repectable and right.

However in saying that. I would have called you as his mum, and let you know that he is struggling. Also depends on how old L is. If he is in high school I would think that is HIS responsibility as well.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. Just my honest opinion.

Although I am only a pre primary and kindy teacher lol. Not sure at what stage L is at.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle040510 View Post
    By the sounds of that the teacher has ASKED L if he would like the extra help with his maths. However he is declining the help. To me, if he maths are a problem he should accept the help so that he doesn't fall behind. A teacher cant give help if the student will not accept it. Therefore he will fall behind if he doesn't accept help.

However in saying that. I would have called you as his mum, and let you know that he is struggling. Also depends on how old L is. If he is in high school I would think that is HIS responsibility as well.

Although I am only a pre primary and kindy teacher lol. Not sure at what stage L is at.
    The OP says he is in year 6

*don't mind me, just reading along..

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Well... without knowing L myself... I can sort of understand where the teacher is coming from.. I've had kids who-when faced with a tough problem- sit there and do nothing. Like a stone. Seriously.

So I head on over and ask if they want help. "No thanks". So I go off for five minutes and come back to see if they have done any more. No progress. Ok.. so I sit down beside them and go through the work step by step. And they seriously will sit there and stare right through me... it's like I'm not even there. So you get concrete materials to help. They stare at them. You draw pictures. They stare at them. I could put on a puppet show and still get no response- these kids (brothers) just check out- they're gone.

So for me, I would feel writing something like the above to be appropriate on a report.

However, I really doubt you L is like these two boys. If he declines the offer of help, the teacher should leave him alone for a short amount of time and then revisit him to check again. If he has done some work in that time-awesome. If not, the teacher needs to sit down with him for a short while and work through it with him. (Any teacher should do this- it's not rocket science )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    The OP says he is in year 6

*don't mind me, just reading along..

LOL thanks for pointing that out lol.

That is a hard age.

I really think the teacher there should have let you know throughout the year that he was struggling. I think that at that age, they really don't want to show that they need help and would rather fall behind than accept the help for fear of being a failure. I would encourage your son over the summer with some math questions and the problem areas that he has. That way when he attends year 7 if he is still struggling he can accept some help.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well obviously she has picked up that he needs help with maths.

But she has 21-29 other kids in the class too, and it's just NOT POSSIBLE to give every single child the one-on-one time they need to bridge concepts, especially if the foundations are shaky.

IMO as a teacher, there is only so much we can do. We can provide the opportunities to advance the knowledge, but if there are breaks in his foundational knowledge that make it difficult for him to understand, they can be very difficult to bridge in the time we have available.

IMO as a parent, it is your responsibility to help him fix his foundations.

my advice as a teacher would be to go right back to basics and make sure he understands the very simple concepts of the way numbers are made up (ones, tens, tens of tens-ie: hundreds, tens of hundreds ie: thousands.. etc etc) and the way these move.. (0-9)

make sure he understand that.... that 4 tens is 40... and a number with 8 hundreds, 3 tens and 6 ones is 836.

Make sure he understands that multiplication is 'groups of' (such as 9 groups of 5 is 45) and that division is 'shared between' (40 shared between 8 means each has 5)

My advice as a parent would be to hire a tutor, or try to incorporate as much basic maths principles as possible into your day. One game that I think is great is a game I played with my grade 2 class .. I called it 'beat the teacher' but you could do it as an 'in the car' activity. start out with something like..

"My number is 20...
    now add 5 (wait 3 secs or as long as you think he'd need)
    take away 2 (wait)
    double it (wait)
    take away 1 (wait)
    divide the number by 9. What's my answer?

A. 5

You can start as simple as you need to and get harder as his mental arithmetic gets better.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Year 6 so....he's 11...or 12?
    Ummm...no, it is not HIS responsibility to seek help for himself. It is his teachers responsibility to inform YOU that he needs assistance and then the teacher, you and your child all work together to help him.

I'd be p!ssed if that were on my yr 6 kids report.

Pregalicious is offline "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The teacher sounds like she is having trouble finding a way with L.. I too would request to discuss it with her, but with the approach of "what can we do between home and school to make some progress with his maths?" Not really "Isnt it your job?" IYKWIM

You said he was doing well in other areas...thats great!

Im not surprised he doesnt want to admit infron of class mates that he doesnt understand and is behind...he might be embarrassed?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would be supremely ****ed for this to be in an end of year report. Sending a note home or contacting me during the year ,when I could help my child would be far better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Thanks ladies. Sorry should have made clearer, L is 12, and in year 6.

Thanks. I thought I should have received some sort of call throughout the year too, this is the very FIRST I have heard of any troubles. You are exactly right too, I didn't want to open the conversation with her as "Isn't it your job" which is why I wanted to asked you guys whether I was on the wrong page so to speak

LOL thanks for pointing that out lol.

That is a hard age.

I really think the teacher there should have let you know throughout the year that he was struggling. I think that at that age, they really don't want to show that they need help and would rather fall behind than accept the help for fear of being a failure. I would encourage your son over the summer with some math questions and the problem areas that he has. That way when he attends year 7 if he is still struggling he can accept some help.
    True! He has however asked for extra maths sheets throughout the year from her, which she has given him, so I also don't understand why she has said that he never asks for help. He may not do it often enough, granted, but he has asked for plenty of extra maths sheets for extra practice, because I was even surprised when he bought them home.

Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Year 6 so....he's 11...or 12?
    Ummm...no, it is not HIS responsibility to seek help for himself. It is his teachers responsibility to inform YOU that he needs assistance and then the teacher, you and your child all work together to help him.

I'd be p!ssed if that were on my yr 6 kids report.
    See, now this is exactly my very first initial reaction. Why am I hearing about this now, and why hasn't she EVER contacted me about it personally before? With 2 weeks left of school, I can't help him improve his year 6 report, and send him off to high school with a feeling of accomplishment IYKWIM

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Was it not mentioned at half yearly reports and or interviews? If nothing was said about it being a problem yes I would be really disappointed that nothing was said earlier and annoyed. However I do think that at some level responsibility lies with your son accepting the offers of help or discussing it with you himself too.

Unfortunately it will only get harder from here. There are plenty of high school teachers who refuse to spoon feed them and don't call parents for understanding issues. He is only 6 weeks away from high school now....
    I know Nothing was said to be or brought to my attention AT ALL this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I would be supremely ****ed for this to be in an end of year report. Sending a note home or contacting me during the year ,when I could help my child would be far better.
    Exactly