+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug73 View Post
    Did the doctor do a pregnancy test using urine sample? If she did and it came up positive you don't need a blood test.
    Yes, sorry you do need the blood test referal for checking the HCG level, for STDs, blood type, rubella immunity and the like. I was just focosing on proof of pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies!

Yes, she did a FBC and checked for STDs and rubella etc, she just didn't actually request pregnancy confirmation in the blood test. I have the results now and they say anothing about confirming pregnancy. She seems to think that the home pregnancy test was enough and I just wasn't sure, because I hear so many people have a blood test to cofirm. Like I said, maybe I am just paranoid. Just seems like different doctors have different procedures and we really need to take our health in our own hands sometimes. I love my doctor, she is great, but just seems like they all operate differently.

Again, thanks so much for the replies everyone. It's so awesome to be able to come on here and share my worries, just sharing makes me feel better! Also I love that no one makes me feel stupid for my questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi, i never had any bloods to confirm my pregnancy either.

jnrharris is offline Adults are always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up because they're looking for ideas.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Racarlee - the HPTs are so super accurate now that they pretty much trust that.

I took my 3(!!) sticks to my GP for my first appointment. DF asked her if she was going to call when she got the blood results, and she said "No, the HPTs are a very strong positive so I'm sure she's pregnant."

I can understand how you're feeling though. I'm not having a scan till 12 weeks (only a couple of days away now!!) so I won't really believe it's happening until I see my bubba on screen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had to do a blood test, just to be sure and the test also tested for certain things like Rubella and other antibodies. At the same time, I had a dating scan to confirm the dates (after the urine test came out positive at the GP's clinic).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by racarlee View Post
    I told her I had done about 5 home pregnancy tests ( yes 5!- heehee)
    Don't worry, I did around 5 tests as well!!! My local GP didn't bother with the blood test when I went to see him as he said the HPTs are pretty accurate, he also said when I told him how many tests I'd done, "that's a bit obsessive compulsive isn't it??"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't get those other bloods until I saw an OB at 11 weeks.

My GP decide that as my home test was faint (I showed it to her) that she would have me POAS at the clinic. It came up faint as well. She gave me a referral then muttered something about not likely to make 10 weeks then let me go. It didn't hit me until I had left the clinic and I thought it a bit strange as I have never MC'd. Still worried me enough that I went to another clinic for HCG bloods which were at a reasonable level. I have also heard since that HPT's are more reliable than the ones GPs us and its hightly unlikely to give any sort of false positives. Anyway I am changing clinics.

Sorry OP didn't mean to highjack your post with a vent . I think it's great that your GP was confident enough with your home to send you for the rest of your tests. Lots of women with very sticky bubs don't have early symptoms. Good for you and congratulations .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Feebs04 View Post
    Don't worry, I did around 5 tests as well!!! My local GP didn't bother with the blood test when I went to see him as he said the HPTs are pretty accurate, he also said when I told him how many tests I'd done, "that's a bit obsessive compulsive isn't it??"

I still have my 4 tests in a bag in my bathroom drawer.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't see a GP at all - just rang the birthing centre and they booked me in. You don't necessarily need a doctor; you're not sick.

MagicalLeopluradon is offline Shun the non believer shunnnn shunnnnnn
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had bloods done with both pregnancies, im suprised your doctor didnt get you to do one because it's not for just confirming a pregnancy either, they do iron studies and other tests as well?