+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Doctor did not ask for blood test, is this normal?

Hi ladies! Just looking for some insight. When I went for my first appointment with my GP, to tell her I thought I was pregnant, she did not offer to do a blood test to confirm the pregnancy. I told her I had done about 5 home pregnancy tests ( yes 5!- heehee) I also told her that my period is always regular and I knew the dates of my last period. I am just wondering if this is normal? Do doctors think that home pregnancy tests are reliable enough without a blood test to confirm? I did get a blood and urine sample taken, but that appears to be to check my general health. As she wrote "patient is pregnant" on the referrals. I am getting my first ultrasound in a couple of weeks ( 12 week NT), and really looking forward to it, because on some paranoid level, I am questioning whether I really am pregnant. I have had no morning sickness, but have had other symptoms like being really tired, and some cramping. I guess I am just fretting and looking for some stories and opinions of other people's experiences. I am trying not to over think things, but I think I could be in for alot of paranoia and worrying with this pregnancy. It's my first and while I am over the moon, I think I might be getting overly emotional

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all CONGRATULTIONS!!!!!!!!

It is a little strange that dr did not refer you for a blood test. Speaking thru my experience I was asked to do a blood test as the dr preg test showed neg for me, yet my multiple tests that i did at home showed i was preggers!! The dr asked me to do another one a few days later to make sure my the numbers were doubleing.

I'm sure if you went back & asked dr she would be happy to give you a referrel.

Wow how exciting!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many weeks are you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My doctor never sent me for bloods she told me that hpt are generally very reliable! However she did sent me for an ultrasound I was 5 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did the doctor do a pregnancy test using urine sample? If she did and it came up positive you don't need a blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    when i went to my gp both this preg and last one, i announced i was preg he asked how i knew and i said billions of home tests lol. he didnt do a blood test or even a urine test to check and i even needed a letter for work both times stating that i was pregnant which would make me unfit for my regular duties. i too thought surely he would need to check himself before writing letters etc but he didnt

jnrharris is offline Adults are always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up because they're looking for ideas.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I thought bloods would be a pretty normal part of the deal. Mine took bloods to check my HCG level, for STDs, blood type, rubella immunity etc etc. They basically did a FBC for me.

If I were you I'd probably be asking at least why they haven't done your bloods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In all my pregnancies (5), my GP has never gotten me to have a blood test to confirm it. She just gets me to POAS there and if it comes up positive she just takes it from there. She has offered it once to get me to do a blood test but that was only because I was worried that the pregnancy wasn't viable but I decided to just wait it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, when i found out i was pregnant with DS i did the exact same thing. My GP didnt send me to for any blood tests to confirm pregnancy. But send me to get blood for all the other things they check ( I think its called a Antenatal Serology - it checks for Hep B, Hep C, Rubella, HIV, syphillis etc). Also did a full blood examination.

I got the results back about 4 days later (everything was fine) and had my first scan at 8 weeks.

(I didnt get any morning sickness til 8 weeks and it lasted for 2 weeks. So by the time I had my first visit with my obs i was sure something was wrong, dont stress enjoy it!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrharris View Post
    Hi,

I thought bloods would be a pretty normal part of the deal. Mine took bloods to check my HCG level, for STDs, blood type, rubella immunity etc etc. They basically did a FBC for me.

If I were you I'd probably be asking at least why they haven't done your bloods.

My GP has always done blood tests to check everything.

Vit D level, Chicken Pox Immunity, Rubella Immunity, STD's, as well as HCG levels.

I would think it should be a normal part in the first stages of your pregnancy.