+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pain & recovery after elective vs emergency caesarean

I find it interesting that some women say they had the easiest caesarean with little pain or discomfort afterwards. Yet others say they were in pain for weeks afterwards and took a long time to recover. Do you think it comes down to elective vs emergency or other factors? Did anyone have an elective without labour and still have a very difficult recovery?
    Last edited by freekp; 01-12-2010 at 11:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no, ive had both and think it was pretty much the same with recovery, the difference i guess is your body has time to get used to the idea of having a csect with an elective, and you have time to mentally prepare yourself... i think it comes down to personal pain threshold and your memory of the recovery
    for me it took about 10-14 days to recover to the point of not needing any pain meds inc panadol... then again i had a 5 day stay in hospital which i also think helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh i should probably add that i didnt have a labour with either of mine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had an elective, but was in labour for 9 days before hand - I was on medication to stop the labour so it wasn't intense or painful but I still found recovery very hard. The whole incision didn't hurt but about an inch of it was agnonising - it was very strange, and it makes me think that maybe it depends on the nerves and all that kind of thing. I couldn't feel the rest of the incision at all. I also had a mild uterus infection that wasn;t picked up for awhile so that probably didn;t help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i agree with maximum. even though i have only had one c section, i think there are more factors involved in how much pain people experience. I was told that i would need a c section a week before i had ds and i do think that it helped me prepare for it. it also meant that i did not go through trauma before hand which i think would contribute to pain. Factors that i think effect pain is
    -pain threshold
    -expectation (if you have had an op before, i think you have a bit more of an idea of what post op pain can be like)
    -pain management
    -maybe your ob, how good his skills are?
    -how much rest and help you get afterwards.

i still felt pain, but knowwhere near as much as i thought i would. perhaps peoples expectations of the pain, effect the experience too. i will be interested to read about people who have been through both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first was an emergency after 8 hours of induced labour, second was elective and I had about 10 weeks warning.

Pain wise recovery was fairly similar although I had an infection after the elective which made things go backwards for a few days until antibiotics kicked in. With my first, we walked across the road to another part of the hospital to have professional photos done when DS was 3 days old. When DD was 3 days old we were discharged and went home. We left hospital after a week with DS and walked straight down to the shops where I was trying on wedding dresses

The infection definitely played a part in the elective taking longer - each day seems a bit better, a bit easier to move etc and then the infection set in and I was finding each day was going backwards, getting harder to move, more sore etc.

I found keeping on top of pain management was key though for both being fairly cruisy. I'm no martyr and didn't want to suffer the pain for the sake of it so I made sure I kept to the schedule with pain relief. I wasn't allowed to leave hospital until I was on panadol (they wouldn't send me home on addictive pain relief - codeine - so I even had to be off panadeine in the hospy although they did say I could go buy some once discharged if I felt I needed it). With both day one - day of operation, I was on morphine. Day two panadeine forte, day three panadeine - with DD though I got to panadol by the end of day three so on day four when we got to go home it was panadol only. I was aiming for going home ASAP that time though - with DS the pain management was a slower process back to panadol (we didn't go home for 7 days because of his weight, not the pain meds, I just had more time to wean myself back).

Overall I found the elective a bit easier but not in a pain sense. It was more that I wasn't so tired! I was exhausted after the caesar with DS because of the long intense labour (induced) and then the operation but so was he - he slept through the night his first night. With DD I was alert after the operation and ready to get out of bed about an hour later not that they would let me. So that first 24 hours was easier with the elective purely through lack of physical exertion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a friend who had an agonising c/section and looked like she'd be hit by a bus after 30 hours of labour. She then had an elective c.section recently - and I saw her 4 days after and she was swanning around looking like she could run a marathon. She said she had no pain - a little bit of discomfort the first two days. I think the whole labour/non labour thing has something to do with it as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on how fit you are as well. I made sure I exercised daily up until 41 weeks! Even though it didn't give me the ideal natural drug free labour I was wanting... the emergency c-section under GA knocked me for 6 but I was up and walking the next day, and back at the gym 2 months later, against docs order, but I felt good enough to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I;ve had three c.sections two emergency and third one elective. The first one was the worst i would say because i was in labour 24hrs and was first operation i;ve ever had also experienced a womb and womb infection it was traumatic.

Second one i was only in labour 14hrs and then we said we would go for c.section as if we kept going i probably would have ended up having c.section anyway.

Third one was elective and i was up and about the next day and and by day three i was hanging to get home but i went home day four mainly because bubs was a little bit jaundice and lost a bit of weight.

I think if you know you are going to have a c/section you are better prepared even with dd2 i knew in the back of my mind that i still could have a c.section so was prepared when i did have one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c section for my first DS, after two solid days of labouring which didn't do anything. DS2 I had an elective (!!! hate that word cause I really didn't want to but he wouldn't budge!) c-section at 16 days overdue. I found my recovery to be really quite easy after both. Wasn't on pain meds for more than 2 days for either though I was probably more tired after the first - days of nothing labour will do that to you! Left the hospital after 2 days for DS2 as I was going insane and was desperate to get home.

I too often read other people's c-section recovery periods and wondered about it. I found it not particularly painful and was back to fairly normal activities well before 2 weeks were up. All except for coughing that is...... That still bothered me for a little bit!!!