ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy 6 week old having trouble pooing?

hey all im new on here,
    my 6 week old baby grunts and pushes so hard to try and poo but is lucky to get a small fart out. (not to mention they ssmell so bad they could clear a room)
    im starting to get concerned as he is holding his breath and forgetting to breath.
    he is currently on Nan HA gold formula and i have tried coloxyl drops, adding water to his formula, giving water inbetween feeds, tummy massage and pushing his legs up to his belly i have also tried anal stimulation.
    im at my wits end and dont know what to do.
    the maternal health nurse assures me he's not constipated because when he does poo its not in pallets!!!
    i have also tried karicare gold and s26 gold formulas all with the same results.
    i guess what im asking is has anyone else had the same problem if so what remedies did you use that worked?
    thanks elyce

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would also assume it's not constipation and perhaps just an uncomfortable tummy, which all your home remedies and changes of formula might be making worse.

Babies grunt and appear to be straining for lots of non-poo related reasons - it could be the sensation of a fart bubble making him uncomfortable, colic, wind, reflux, or simply him being uncomfortable or grumpy. Straining and only doing a small fart could be incidental... when bubs uses those tummy muscles, farts happen as a reflex. My breastfed baby has the stinkiest farts you can imagine... and only poos once a week, but that's just her and she's definitely not constipated. The grunting, straining and farts tend to happen more in the day or two before she poos.

I'd pick one formula and stick with it, and stop trying all the other things for now, but also make a poo diary and compare quantity with consistency, and frequency, then take that to your doc after about a week or two if there's still a problem.

(ETA - OMG did I really just type FART five times in one post?????)
    Last edited by NonnyMouse; 30-11-2010 at 17:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD who is only bf would do the same thing. her whole face would go beat red and boy did it stink. i remember one time she did it at australia post and everyone looked at me lol

its normal as the nurse said, its only when there in pellet form and hard that they are constipated.

some babies also just have lots of wind. Also its not reccomended to change their formula around just find one and try to stick with it for a while.

Maybe try gently rubbing bubs back in circles to help bring the wind up half way through a feed. a friend said that helped.

good luck!!

MagicalLeopluradon is offline Shun the non believer shunnnn shunnnnnn
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 had bad wind as a bub. He was on S26 and Karicare Gold and they didn't work for him at all. I switched him to SMA and had no probs. I also gave him a bit of Infants Friend I think it is called and that really helped him too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 'gold' version of formulas has been known to constipate some babies. We switched our bub from S26 Gold to normal old S26 and it seemed to help. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was breast fed till 6 weeks of age but she did used to get terrible tummy pains till she was about 10 weeks old (was on formula by then)

they ONLY thing i found that haelped was tummy rubs before AND (gentally) after a feed (and sometimes in betweens( and knees to belly presses.

I THROUGHLY reccomend getting off the gold formula though. I used S26 gold for about 2 months and about a week after i switched to normal S26 DD found it SO much easier to burp, fart and poo (TMI I know) she never pooed pelets either but found it SO hard to get anything out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as the poos are NOT pellets or hard, he is not constipated. Babies do grunt and get their faces red when trying to do a poo and it is normal. Sometimes, it is their tummy or wind that cause them discomfort.

If I were you, I would stop using Coloxyl. Bub is still very young, try using something else to help him poo if he is constipated. Ring Maternal Child healthline. I was advised to use brown sugar in lukewarm boiled water to help my bub to poo when he hadn't pooed for 5 days.

You can also change his milk. But definitely not coloxyl. We went to Royal Childrens to have my bub checked and the GP there expressly said that coloxyl is not good for little babies and you wouldn't want to give it to them knowing it only gives more discomfort to your bub.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had DD on Nan HA Gold and DS was on this one also, I have found it a good formula for them but DD did take a bit longer to adjust... SHe used to have trouble pooing and I would have to wipe her bum and she would poo a bit more then wipe and a bit more etc etc, I had to do this for ages, I would say he is just adjusting to everything and should sort it all out soon enough... But as with anything if you are concerned pop in and see the GP maybe for some reassurance that it is ok