+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tizzie Hall Followers - still catnapping?

Hi

Following Tizzie Hall SAve our Sleep and my DD 9 month old is self settling but still wakes every nap after 30 mine sleep cycle - I'm then pushing in stroller and she is asleep again in 5 mins then sleeps for another hour. While this is working it is becoming a little tedious. Do I really have to get up and praise after a sleep cycle for a few days for her to learn to sleep through them or should I let her cry and try and self settle again when she wakes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just bumping this up for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would let her cry and let her try and settle herself. Because she falls asleep in the pram that means she's not hungry or in pain. If she doesn't settle after about 20 mins, i would go in and stay with her till she falls asleep. Give her reassuring words and rub her tummy till you know she's asleep. Has she always been a catnapper and how long have you been doing Tizzie Hall routines?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 10 week old is exactly the same.. I'm watching this post.

It's really frustrating

I've been following Tizzy for 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Catnapping with Tizzie.

Hi there.

I am following Tizzie and have been pleased with her advice so far. I recommend you leave your bub to re settle when she wakes. i did this with my son who is now 12 weeks when he started catnapping during the day at just 5 weeks old.

It was really hard, but I knew I had taught him how to self settle and he knew how to resettle after one sleep cycle. The first re settle took about 20 min of crying, which was really hard - but I'm glad I did it as he now does not catnap any more!

On the other hand this past week my sone has been waking at 6am instead of 7 - and I have tried everything Tizzie recommeneds to correct early rising - but no luck! He's no hungry, as he doesnt wake and cry, he just babbles to himself in his cot for 15-20 min and then starts crying. I might just have to leave him to resettle then as well....any thoughts or thers who have had this experience would be welcome!!!
    Kate

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've also been loosely following SOS, but not with the catnapping. With my first I read On Becoming Babywise and they call it the 45 minute intruder. I also can time it with DD - although atm it tends to only be for her second long sleep (she is 11 weeks old and has 2 x 2 - 3 hr sleeps and 1 shorter nap late arvo). I'm starting to think i'm overstimulating her prior to that second slep (but unfortunately groceries and errands need to be done lol).

My advice would be to let them cry it out... it is a stage, and it's the one thing with Tizzie i don't agree on... I think that when they wake after a long nap you go in and open the curtains, talk, play etc, but after 45 mins i leave DD for 10 or so minutes and go in and say hey hey hey time to sleep pat her bum maybe twice and walk out... usually she starts up again and honestly yesterday it took me 40 minutes to get her back down, but i then had to wake her up for her next feed so i know she is still tired!

Good luck, i always tell myself when i get frustrated that i should be proud my bubba can self settle in the first place.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    aimz

my bub sounds exactly the same. The morning sleep is fine, self settles and then re-settles thru sleep cycles but this sleep now is the challenge. She wakes after 40 min like clock work, I have tried everything...keeping her up longer, putting extra bedding on incase she is cold but for some reason she will not resettle unless i put her dummy in and then i am battling with it falling out when she drifts off. I have tried letting her cry it out but by the time i go in and try to resettle her she is that awake and worked up and i am frustrated!

Why are the two sleeps so different. Today i let her tired signs go until she was drousy and basically fell asleep as soon as her head hit the mattress but it has made no difference....

i have been following Tizzie since 2 weeks old (now 12 wks) and it has been going great, sleeps at night and is awake and happy at 7am each morning, can sometimes not settle fully til 9pm when i put her to bed at 7pm but that depends on her day sleeps, if she struggles to sleep for 1pm she is terrible come bath and bed time.

If anyone has a solution that would be great.

Also does anyone use the doublewrap Tizzie suggests and is it breathable for summer? My girl is a hot baby and i am tempted to wean wrap bc of hot summer approaching.....???

Aimz the only thing I can suggest for that second sleep is try the 10 min later to bed so 1.10pm (it worked a couple of times for me) sorry i can't be any more help, but i can sympathise!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would you believe the last 2 days she has swapped and it's now the morning sleep haha! I tell ya - these babies!

Although I have figured out DD is in the middle (think it finished today) of a growth spurt... so for 2 days there I offered more milk about 10 mins before i put her down - that way if she woke after 45 I knew it wasn't a hunger issue.... it worked quite well, she woke after 45 min yesterday morn and resettled quickly (like you with the dummy). Afternoon sleep was no worries. Today she woke after an hour of her morn sleep but had just resettled when I needed to wake her for a Drs appt (gah). She has now been down just over 2 hours for her arvo sleep!

I have been trying to keep her up a little longer in the day - I think that also had something to do with it as I was putting her down 1 hr 15 after she woke, now I've extended it to 1 hr 30... hoping this helps!

I don't wrap DD but she is a tummy sleeper, and has been since 3 weeks (my first was the same). I'm in Brissie so it's pretty hot here (I laugh that the gro egg thermometer says the room temp should be between 16-20 degrees as I don't think our rooms get that low even in winter haha). I think I read somewhere that you don't really need to wrap after 12 weeks? But I guess it depends on the bubba!!

Good Luck - at least we know it's a stage! I chant to myself, this too shall pass

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sooo relieved to read this thread to find out I am not alone. My 15 week old son is also a catnapper and has been since 6 weeks old. It is driving me totally bonkers! I have been following Tizzie now for 5 weeks and as much as I love the routine, the catnapping does not seem to be improving. He is great at self settling, however at the 45 min mark, he is awake. I have tried offering a top up, rocking and shoshing in cot which just makes him more upset and emotional, I have tries the pram or car which does not work, he just looks around and loves it. I have even been to a recent talk night in Melbourne where Tizzie Ewas answering questions. I asked her on tips and she advised more blankets and making sure that DS stays awake for the recommended time. I have done both of these things but again very little improvement. The last three weeks I have been giving him the dummy to resettle and it has actually worked in getting him back to sleep.
    As per madsimoo, I have also tried to let him self re settle back to sleep but he too gets too up set and just wakes up more.

A friend of mine suggested cutting back his morning sleep to only 45 min as per Gina fords, however I found he would not feed properly as he was just to sleepy.

Sorry for a big spill, but I am just so confused with what to do next and i guess I am excited to know that I am not alone. This is my first time on bubhub.

Any other advise or experiences would so appreciated as my DS is also starting to wake more through the nite after his roll over feed.

Thanks and sorry again for the long message.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myloves View Post
    I am sooo relieved to read this thread to find out I am not alone. My 15 week old son is also a catnapper and has been since 6 weeks old. It is driving me totally bonkers! I have been following Tizzie now for 5 weeks and as much as I love the routine, the catnapping does not seem to be improving. He is great at self settling, however at the 45 min mark, he is awake. I have tried offering a top up, rocking and shoshing in cot which just makes him more upset and emotional, I have tries the pram or car which does not work, he just looks around and loves it. I have even been to a recent talk night in Melbourne where Tizzie Ewas answering questions. I asked her on tips and she advised more blankets and making sure that DS stays awake for the recommended time. I have done both of these things but again very little improvement. The last three weeks I have been giving him the dummy to resettle and it has actually worked in getting him back to sleep.
    As per madsimoo, I have also tried to let him self re settle back to sleep but he too gets too up set and just wakes up more.

A friend of mine suggested cutting back his morning sleep to only 45 min as per Gina fords, however I found he would not feed properly as he was just to sleepy.

Sorry for a big spill, but I am just so confused with what to do next and i guess I am excited to know that I am not alone. This is my first time on bubhub.

Any other advise or experiences would so appreciated as my DS is also starting to wake more through the nite after his roll over feed.

Thanks and sorry again for the long message.
    HI myloves. I just wanted to say hi and welcome and let you know you are definitely not alone! My son is 16 weeks, so almost the same age as yours, and is doing the same thing and also waking more in the night now too. I also like to follow routines but it doesn't really work when they don't do the sleep part does it!