+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Changing a 17 week olds sleeping routine. Possible?

Hi all!

At my last MHN appointment it was suggested that I change the way I get my 17 week old DD to sleep. I'm a bit bad... I still either feed her to sleep or rock her to sleep so I need to start putting her to sleep awake so she knows how to put herself to sleep. To be honest, I have been a bit lazy and hesitant to change what I know works.

We recently moved house and I had been waiting til she was settled in before taking on the change in routine. Now we've moved, I have no more excuses!

So stupid question first. Do I just launch straight in and put her down awake and see what happens or is it something that I would change slowly over time somehow...? When I had tried it in the past, she protests and cries/screams pretty much straight away (hence me delaying making the change....) so I would have to end up rocking her to sleep.

Has anyone waited this long to try and change their babies routine like this before? What did you do? What worked and what didn't work...?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're at 9 months and still feed or rock to sleep

Some days I hate it, some days I love it ...

I'm booked into tresillian residential stay but not sure if we'll go yet or not, I can bear to hear to hear him cry, even if it is in protest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi 31!

Well, I think you should just jump straight in. My little one is 6wks and I have been feeding to sleep and then trying to carefully transfer to bassinet/hammock, but yeah, have just realised that I should be doing it differently. Apparently bubs sleeps better and for longer too if they go to sleep themselves in the cot, or wherever you put them.

So I just started yesterday and it was actually OK. I didnt really let him cry. When I noticed he was tired I picked him up and put him in the cot - which he had NEVER slept in before. He kind of grizzled for a bit and I just tried patting his tummy, which didnt help at first andhe started to cry so I picked him up, shushed him to he settled but wasnt asleep and put him down again, and kept patting his tummy. I needed to do this a couple of times but he fell asleep after about 15min so it wasnt so bad. I did it twice yesterday and he had the best sleep lastnight! So yeah, I know how you feel, but I say just give it a go!

So now I'm going with the feed, play, sleep routine. It was a bit harder at night, only cause I was tired but it eventually worked then too! Good luck!!

PS - it wasnt so bad anyway, as I hated the slow creep to the bassinett once he was asleep on the boob and the anxious wait to see if he would stay asleep after I put him down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Put her in bed, wrapped and drowsy but still awake. Then pat her bum or chest gently. She may cry, but keep going til she falls asleep.
    Once the above works consistently without her crying, stop patting her just before she falls asleep.
    Then stop a bit earlier when that starts to work consistently.
    Then don't pat at all but keep your hand on her bum or chest til she starts falling asleep.
    Then when that works consistently just put her down and wait then leave when she is asleep.
    Then you should be at a stage where you can just put her down and walk away.

Sounds like a lot of work, but its better than leaving her to cry, and gives her the opportunity to learn to fall asleep on her own without any distress.

I hope it makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have found trying to catch the tired signs is really importan.

then holding DD close to me and swaying/rocking until she is nice and relaxed and then popping her down.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    'no cry sleep solution" is great. DD is constantly going to sleep with out needing me now

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In your situation Id try to 'gradual decrease' method.

Do you feed her to sleep during the day as well or just at bed time?

Try putting her down when she is awake but stay by her side. Just patt/rick her in her cot for a minute of so.

If she gets hysterical or 1 minute has passed. Pick her up and give her pats/rocks until she has calmed down.

Then place her back in her cot and repeat if nessessery.

First time I did this with DD it took her 40mins to fall asleep and i picked her up 20 odd times

But after doing this at every sleep time, she got the hang of it in a week.

She now settles herself to sleep without any crying/whinging (unless shes over tired)

But after all that I want to say if you are happy rocking/feeding your bub to sleep, and bub is happy doing it... then why stop???

your partnar is not the one who has to get up to feed her (or is she bottle fed)

I say do what ever works for you. Kids DO eventually learn to go to sleep, and stay asleep, by themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still feeding to sleep my 23 month old son. There is nothing wrong with it! It's up to you, whether you are happy to do it or not. It will not create problems for your child

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Imo I'd ignore the MHN. I'm still feeding my 3yo ds to sleep. It works for us and he sleeps through (12 hrs).

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're happy boobing to sleep then boob to sleep. The only time any routine is a problem is if it's a problem for YOU.
    If you concerned you're creating a monster who will never learn to self settle, do a quick poll of your friends and family, and ask how many of them need to be breastfed to sleep
    (If you're NOT happy and if it's all becoming too much then by all means the routine of putting down drowsy and patting is great for [some] babies)