+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you refused the strep test and then your baby got it???

I am thinking of refusing to have the strep test done this time around...My midwife is fine with it, but I just wanted to see if anyone had a bad expereince by not having it.

So my questions are:
    *Did your baby get strep? (when did the symptoms appear and what did they do about it?)
    *What kind of delivery did you have? How long did you push?
    *Would you refuse the strep test again?

Thank in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    not entirely sure im going to be very helpful

i didnt refuse the strep test, i was not offered it. oversight on my hospy behalf-one of many actually.
    so when i arrived at hospy to give birth it was noticed that i had not been tested and that in my previous pregnancy had tested positive, so i believe usual routine would be to give me antibiotics or something? before bub comes.
    but i arrived at 9-10 cm dialated. it was declared that my baby would be born within a matter of minutes and there was not time- despite my being insistant that my baby was stuck and not coming out as had been my other 2 kids.
    anyways nearly 4 hrs of pushing as he was indeed stuck(posterior) they vacuumed him out leaving me with a very small tear and a broken tailbone

my baby showed signs of a possible infection straight away, unknown if it was strepb. he was failing to mantain temps was easily distressed and was having some breathing difficulties. worth noting he was also born 3 weeks early. he was sent to special care , kept under heat lamps and in woollens, was started on antibiotics through an iv in his hand, had blood tests etc. he stayed there for 5 days during which he was only allowed to be held during feeds due to him getting distressed when touched/held/moved/changed and having breathing trouble as a result.
    i witnessed the paed giving the midwives a pretty big earful for not putting me on the antibiotics? during labour as in fact there was time.
    drs said it would take 48hrs for bloods to come back showing if it was an infection and if we chose not to start antibiotics while we waited for results things could get pretty bad pretty quick. they advised we start antibiotics straight away so we did. results came back clear , he did not have an infection and his issues were put down to being 3 weeks early and inhaling amniotic fluid on the way out.

i personally wouldnt refuse the test.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So my questions are:
    *Did your baby get strep? (when did the symptoms appear and what did they do about it?)
    No
    *What kind of delivery did you have? How long did you push? Vaginal, 4min.
    *Would you refuse the strep test again?Yes, I see it as a pointless test, seeing you can be + one day and - the next, and it takes 3 days for them to process the test
    (you do the math) I prefer to abstain and watch for signs and symptoms of it after the birth. I prefer not to bombard my babies gut with antibiotics before they are even born, esp when it may not be necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    See my last 2 labours were short pushing times. Really lovely natural waterbirths.
    It's because of this that I decided I didn't want it. I was neg with DS, but then pos with DD. It just interfered a bit with the labour having the antibiotic drip for 15mins.
    So I think I'm still leaning towards not having it!
    Thanks so much girls....any other stories???