ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone been to the Ellen Barron sleep centre?

So i was just wondering if anyone had been to the ellen barron sleep centre? DD4 is 11 months old she was 2 months premmie and for the 1st 6months i was made 2 wake her every 3 hrs for feeding as she was a very slow weight gainer anyway this has now become a habit for her and i have tried everything but she still continues to wake every 3hrs but takes forever to settle her we have been referred to the sleep centre and just waiting on a response so i was wondering do u think we will b accepted? i know they have a very strict acceptance criteria im finding it really hard as i have 4 under 5 and have never come up against this we have a very structured routine but this hasnt seemed to help so if we do get accepted what should i expect and what do they do? thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    there's another thread on EBC if you search (im on my phone) but they do use CC

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh ok thanks will do a search once i put kiddies to bed hmmmm not sure how i feel about CC

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will be accepted. They are busy but I recently got accepted because my bub wouldn't sleep in his cot in the day. So you'll def get in!

I didn't go because the problem improved and I didn't want to take the place from someone who needed it more.

I think what they need to know is that you've tried all you can. Ie CHN sleep clinics, books etc etc.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    there's another thread on EBC if you search (im on my phone) but they do use CC
    Also they are parent led so if you don't feel comfortable with CC they won't use it and will help you with other techniques

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks heaps for that naomi bub was prem so we visit CHN ped gp all regualrly and ive tried nearly everything i know she just wakes every 3 hrs and there is no settling her a non sleeper is all new to me my other 3 loved their sleep I just really need some help and some more tips i think i have done CC in the past with the older girls but it breaks but with bub its so hard to hear her cry she has been through so much for a little girl and has had to fight so hard to be here and i just want to make as much of it easier for her i guess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    thnx heaps trishalishous

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was at the Ellen Barron Centre about 3 weeks ago. Got in very quickly because the CHN put in an urgent referral, but i got to choose when i went as they had vacancies for at least 3 weeks.

They DO NOT use controlled crying! They use responsive settling, which IS very different to CC, and as said above, it is parent led which means they will not do anything you're not comfortable with! They go at the pace you're comfortable with and using the techniques you're comfortable with. You've never forced to do anything. The only rule they're strict on is sleeping baby on his back without a pillow, because of SIDS.

You get 2 meals a day, lunch and dinner and there is everything there you'd need to make yourself breakfast. The food is actually quite good. There are areas you can't take a child such as the kitchen and bottle preparation areas, but there is a play room, outdoor play area, and the girls there are there to help whenever you need it. Many times they would take my bub for me, feed him, settle him, help with bathing, playing etc etc while i had a shower, sorted out my 3 year old, went for a short walk to have a breather etc. They really are so supportive, gentle, caring and helpful.

I only stayed till the wednesday cause by then i'd figured out the real problem with ds and felt it better to get home and implement the changes in my normal environment. So it worked well for us and enjoyed the support.

There are information classes/sessions you can attend and things like relaxation classes, and there will be other parents you can talk with.

They have a paediatrician, social workers, psychologists etc you can talk to as well if you want or need. You can go out during the day time, which is good as Chermside shopping centre is within walking distance, but they prefer it if you went around sleeping times.

My advice is to go with an open mind, and be honest about what you really want to achieve and how you want to achieve it. There's no point going, going along with what they say if you don't really agree and then going home angry. Be willing to try what they suggest, but also be strong in your own beliefs, and enjoy the help, support, company and break.

Any more questions, feel free to pm me.