+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    everything i have read so far has said mbu's are only equipped for babies under 12 mths but places like tweedle and the o'connell centre in melb are suitable for older kids/whole family?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    also thank you everyone for your replies and help. I read through the thread last night and went to reply but i just couldnt stop crying but i really appreciate your responses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cbk -

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    A friend went to the one in sydney and her experience with it was positive. I'm pretty sure she started in a pysche ward which made her worse, but she couldn't be at home, once she was there with her baby she could start to get better.

Having bub and having people who actually specialize perinatal mood disorders IMO would make a huge difference to just a general pysche ward.

Shame there is only one mother baby unit in sydney, and it's private and apparently the waiting list is pretty bad. Though tresillian say they take mums with pnd as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ComeBackKid

There is a big need for more places like this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Tweddle will take your whole family, up to the age of 4... they generally only have 4night stays- but they can arrange longer res stays if they are required... though this is usually for mothers who need help with parenting skills, rather than at risk mental health patients.

They do have a psychologist on hand for consultation, but no psychiatrists. They also have social workers who can help you to access the help when you get home.

They are a non referral program (meaning you can refer yourself)... you need to ring to book a consultation with a MCHN who will assess your needs and urgency for treatment, I would urge you to call them today, as it can be a 2wk wait just for the phone consult- and they can then tell you if they would be suitable for you and your family.

Contact details here

Good luck, I really hope you get the help you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    CBK

Its tough, I put the ball in motion and got myself an apt with the admitting dr and went from there - best thing I did. Especially going back on my meds!!

Brogey: each place is different depending on what they actually do, I know the MBU here takes you until bub is 12 months or until they are walking.

The place here is a MBU and a psych ward as well, although they are seperate. I do know though that some mums have gone to psych ward after a stay on the MBU if they are still not well, and bub has not gone with them.

GOOD LUCK CBK, we are here to support you during this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Quenn Vic centre might be another one to try as well. They take children over 12 months and more than one (I think!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shame there is only one mother baby unit in sydney, and it's private and apparently the waiting list is pretty bad. Though tresillian say they take mums with pnd as well.[/QUOTE]

sleepless beatuy whats the name of this mbu in sydney??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure it's St John of god one.