+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Whippet is offline Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does anyone have a child with ADD or a child with similar symptoms?

Hi All

It's been a very long time since I have visited bubhub - I'm amazed I even remembered my password!

I have returned to seek out some support or some advice from parents raising a 'high maintenance' child or a child with ADD.

My 6 and a half year old has always been much harder work than his older brother and right now I'm almost at my wits end.

He is incredibly demanding, is always noisy or at least making some sort of noise (it's incredible how annoying even a whisper can be when it's repetitious!), he can't entertain himself so is always seeking company from someone in the house and he seems to struggle maintaining friendships at school.

It's something that I have tolerated for a long time however now his older brother (8 and a half) is becoming annoyed at his brothers behaviour as well which I find concerning.

What I really need to know is what are considered 'normal' behaviours for a boy his age and what are behaviours that are potential warning signs. He has been assessed in the past and although he ticked a lot of the boxes for ADD, he wasn't given that label.

I am feeling a little bit lost and in need of some help.

Any suggestions? I'd even love to hear the experiences of other parents, if there are any.

Thanks for reading

FunKy~Mummy is offline If ya filled me with water I would leak. Vampires I tell you they are vampires
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 3 daycare my parents and my DH and I knew something wasnt right with DS we took him to a PAED just to get him checked out. He has one of the worst cases of ADHD any doctor has ever seen and that was masking Aspergers and reactive attachment disorder. He has profound sensory and speech and language issues too. He looks "normal" and can talk his little head off but he doesnt understand alot of what you ask of him and he can't explain how he feels!!!
    DS was my first. I just thought at first it was my parenting but DD is sooooooooooooooooooo different and I realise how my lil DS has many vunerabilities and struggles. Get a referral to a paed just to check on him. It can't hurt. I am glad we did....good luck its a hard long road
    ohhh we also changed diets, tried different food, allergy things, all his Doctors and there are many, we have about 15 different professionals that come to his meeting all say if food was his issue there would be no issues with DS!!! good luck xoxox

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My DS1 has ADHD. He can not sit still, seriously, some part of him is always moving. He also talks a mile a minute, some days I actually tell him to stop and breathe. He is extremely hard to please, nothing is ever good enough which is very upsetting for me at times. He cant concentrate on anything for longer than 5 minutes without suddenly jumping up and going silly. He is only recently starting to make proper friends at school (since starting medication). He is overly dramatic (asked him to do his homework last night and he threw himself onto his bed screaming how he hates his life and I'm always mean to him etc.. took 40minutes to do 5minutes of homework) and flies off the handle over minor things. Has little to no patience with his 4yr old brother (that may just be a brother thing though lol) and seems to have serious problems accepting that his actions affect others and sometimes have consequences (e.g I send him to time out for belting his brother with a toy truck it is either his brothers fault or my fault, never his own iykwim).

I'm sure there is more but I am supposed to be getting ready to go out lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    can i ask who assessed him? wasn't the Royal Children's by any chance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have just described my 7yo DS! That is him to a tee. I have thought about getting him assessed but have never actually done it. Being my 1st, I also used to think it my parenting, but my DS2 and DD are completely different. I have spoken to his teachers and they feel it isn't ADD/ADHD etc. He just struggles socially. His behaviour has been difficult from the age of one. And not just "normal" difficult, but REALLY difficult! The main prob with my son is he seems to have trouble dealing with his emotions. Happy usually over excited/hyper, which leads to him being rude, inappropriate etc. The slightest thing going wrong makes him angry (not violent though, just verbal stuff etc). When he is angry or overexcited or upset, he is very difficult to talk to/calm down. This doesn't go down well with other kids at school!

When I have spoken to other mums, they say what he is doing is "normal" for his age, but they don't SEE him doing it. I have thought about a child psychologist which is what I may end up doing. I know I haven't been any help, just letting you know you're not alone

Whippet is offline Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumma K View Post
    Get a referral to a paed just to check on him. It can't hurt. I am glad we did.
    I will absolutely be doing this! I am in full time study so once my semester is over in a few weeks, I'll sort something out.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    My DS1 has ADHD. He can not sit still, seriously, some part of him is always moving. He also talks a mile a minute, some days I actually tell him to stop and breathe. He is extremely hard to please, nothing is ever good enough which is very upsetting for me at times. He cant concentrate on anything for longer than 5 minutes without suddenly jumping up and going silly. He is only recently starting to make proper friends at school (since starting medication). He is overly dramatic (asked him to do his homework last night and he threw himself onto his bed screaming how he hates his life and I'm always mean to him etc.. took 40minutes to do 5minutes of homework) and flies off the handle over minor things. Has little to no patience with his 4yr old brother (that may just be a brother thing though lol) and seems to have serious problems accepting that his actions affect others and sometimes have consequences (e.g I send him to time out for belting his brother with a toy truck it is either his brothers fault or my fault, never his own iykwim).

I'm sure there is more but I am supposed to be getting ready to go out lol.
    I've put in bold the statement that stands out to me in a big way. He is NEVER grateful for what he recieves, he must always know what others are getting incase he's missing out on something. Oh god, it's painful at times.

Thanks for you quick, 'just about to rush out the door' reply Our boys sound quite similar and as your boy is a little older than mine, it's reassuring so know there can be some change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
    can i ask who assessed him? wasn't the Royal Children's by any chance?
    No, it wasn't - but I was considering that as my next step. He was assessed by a psychologist I found in my local area and was refered to her by our general GP (not a paed). He hasn't actually seen a paed as yet so I want to organise that too.

Have you experienced problems with the RCH? I'd love to hear about your experience with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lilcutipies View Post
    You have just described my 7yo DS! That is him to a tee. I have thought about getting him assessed but have never actually done it. Being my 1st, I also used to think it my parenting, but my DS2 and DD are completely different. I have spoken to his teachers and they feel it isn't ADD/ADHD etc. He just struggles socially. His behaviour has been difficult from the age of one. And not just "normal" difficult, but REALLY difficult! The main prob with my son is he seems to have trouble dealing with his emotions. Happy usually over excited/hyper, which leads to him being rude, inappropriate etc. The slightest thing going wrong makes him angry (not violent though, just verbal stuff etc). When he is angry or overexcited or upset, he is very difficult to talk to/calm down. This doesn't go down well with other kids at school!

When I have spoken to other mums, they say what he is doing is "normal" for his age, but they don't SEE him doing it. I have thought about a child psychologist which is what I may end up doing. I know I haven't been any help, just letting you know you're not alone
    More than anything right now, knowing I'm not alone means so much - so thank you for your reply. Let me know how you go with everything. It'd be nice to have someone to bounce off as I go through it as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
    He is NEVER grateful for what he recieves, he must always know what others are getting incase he's missing out on something. Oh god, it's painful at times.
    Again, this is my DS. We went to the local show on the weekend and no matter what rides, sideshows etc DS got, he wanted to know what he was getting next. Nothing came to him quick enough and nothing is ever enough. It's the same in day to day life. It's so frustrating as we want to spoil them but when a child is ungrateful it takes the enjoyment out of it He is improving with this on occasions though so fingers crossed!