+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    because boys turn gay playing or using girly things

i already got a gay as boy in some peoples eyes because yes we paint finger and toe nails, yes we have fairy wings and he plays dress ups in my clothes and yes, he loves the colour pink and has some barbie dolls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my son loves to dress up in my dd's dresses and feather boa (hot pink) and wear those horrible plastic shoes in a sparkly purple. he also wants makeup when he sees me putting mine on.

my dd loves playing in the dirt with trucks too.

its not the toys that "turn" them gay - its a pre-determined genetic marker for gender preference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OMG I hate men like that They make me so mad and I generally say something when I hear that.
    My next door neighbours little boy was playing with his sisters kitchen set and his dad told him that only girls do the dishes. I laughed at him and said if that was the case at my house no one would be getting fed because I would flat out refuse. BIL is like that also and other men I know. I always have a remark to shoot at them if I hear them talking like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My dad's partner has 3 sons aged in their early 20s now. Two of them are gay. One of them liked all 'boys' stuff growing up, the other was definitely into girly stuff from early on (dad's partner noticed it from about 3 or 4, he was very effeminate and liked dresses etc).

The one who was effeminate from a young age now works in London in a fashion house, loves it and even went to Paris on a photo shoot recently (was part of the team behind the scenes). Anyway not sure what my point was there ...I guess it just goes to show that sexuality has nothing to do with what toys they play with or what colours they like as a child.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Erh gay-germs WTF

I buy my kids whatever, I try to buy stuff that is not gender stereotyped (I try and by neutral stuff) 90% of the time I succeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Last week we were doing some shopping and I ran into my MIL. DD had my little makeup bag out and was 'putting makeup' on herself, me and MIL (she was just using a sponge and patting our faces with it). She went to put some on her brother and MIL said 'darling, makeup is for girls!'.

I was floored! This woman is a very progressive, educated, open-minded feminist with a social work degree who writes policy in state government and is highly versed in areas of gender. She is seriously one of my role models and mentors. I was just flabbergasted.

I said 'Grandma that is so sexist!!!'. She then laughed sheepishly and said 'Im lucky their father (her son) isn't here - he would have lambasted me!'.

So strange that she has raised her son to be a sensitive, kind man who respects women, embraces his feminine side wholeheartedly and would have told HER off for being sexist when she raised him not to be any kind of 'ist' (she was a single Mum who worked her butt off to raise her three kids) and yet the gender roles dictated by society are sometimes just SO ingrained that she came out with something so completely at odds with everything she stands for.

It still spins me out, actually. Especially considering she had just the day before bought my daughter a huge Tonka dump truck

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex, poo-Head, used to get really agro about me letting DS do girls things'. luckily he wasn't around when DS was 2 and used to malk around in my heels and paint his face with my eye liner

He was a real homophobe though . Funniest thing ever - we were walking around the corner to MIL's house and PH and DS were playing this game where DS would walk in front of Ph and then slow down and PH would kick him (GENTLY) in the bum to get him moving again. DS thought it was a huge joke. When PH got tired of it, DS was running up to him going 'Poke me in the bum, I like it!' Love it!

But seriously, I don't get it and it really irks me when I see people not letting their kids JUST BE KIDS because of their own issues or sexual connotations. Most of the time, from what I understand, it's NOT letting your kids express themselves freely that leads to repression and odd fetishes when older. (not that most fetishes are that bad )

I saw a little boy at the shops awhile ago in a pink shirt and it said 'Boys can wear pink too!'. SO would've gotten it for DS but have no idea where it came from, and he's way more into Ben 10 these days

Thanks
    Reviews
    sadly, i think it is because society generally sees masculine behaviour as desirable and feminine as weak and undesirable...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's so sad that even the youngest children are exposed to sexist comments.

DD has in her toy collection:

Thomas the Tank Engine (Take Along set)
    Dinosaurs
    Hot Wheels
    My Little Pony
    Barbie doll and similar toys
    Tea Party toys
    Wooden musical instruments
    Lego

Also a couple of guitars that are not toys that are not for use with any other child except one who is also learning guitar and the drums.

She has dressups too, she has fairies, Scooby Doo, Thomas the Tank Engine, Sleeping Beauty, a chef outfit, a police outfit, and other bits and pieces like hats and things, just random objects.

She has friends who are boys. She has friends who are girls. Sometimes she has some little girls over and they play with the Hot Wheels. Sometimes she'll have some little boys over and they play with the Barbies. Sometimes she has quite a few kids over and they have the Barbies out with the dinosaurs and the My Little Pony toys and there will be a mix of boys and girls playing together.

Where DD went to daycare, they had a television out the front with a slideshow of photos taken through that day. When I got there to pick DD up, there was a dad going off his nut and threatening staff (the other kids were scared, DD wet herself because of this man's yelling) because his SON wore a hula skirt and they took a photo and put it on the display screen. He threatened to take legal action if they did not go out right then and there (they only had 3 staff with 21 kids, no spare staff) to remove the photo from the slideshow and to make sure his son never did "girlie sh*t" ever again.

I told the dad in question that his behaviour is causing the children to be frightened and that my child just wet her pants out of fear and was cowering in a corner because of his yelling and if HE wasn't careful then I would be taking legal against HIM for making threats inside a childcare centre that MY child was witness to.

That was rediculous. The little boy in question looked so happy in the photo dancing all hula dancing like in a skirt, but at that point in time he was terrified