+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree its cos they might catch teh omggayness111
    cos playing with the wrong toys make boys into drag queens and girls into butch dykes
    DH is dead against gender roles, and will have DD doing mechanical work while I teach our boys to cook.
    I refuse to have helpless/unhousebroken children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Dp doesn't like that I want to get Jasper some more dollies. He has one and he loves her, I got a doll in blue clothing that wasn't tooooo pretty, and a pram, and he cuddles her and kisses her, it's very sweet. I want to get him a baby doll one that has a mouth that'll take a dummy because he keeps trying to give the dolly his dummy and it doesn't work

It's not going to make him gay or a sissy, it'll make him learn very early on that nurturing isn't just for girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought my DS a doll the other day, its not something that myself or DF worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get this all the time. My ds loves pink, frills, sparkley clips and dd loves black, dinosaurs, crocodiles, trucks.

Yesterday i got their face painted. Ds went first he asked the lady to be a pink cat. She wanted to do it blue. I told her that his fav colour is pink. She looked at me like i was a freak. Then it was dd's turn. She asked dd what she wanted. Dd said "crocodile". The lady said it was too hard so dd said "dinosaur". The lady said that was also too hard so dd said "spider". The lady asked me if i would prefer a rainbow or a butterfly with lots of sparkles. I said "no dd wants a spider." She then made a comment about how dd is so beautiful but will never get a husband if she isn't a bit more feminine. she is 21 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisa21 View Post
    It's stupid! I've got a friend who's partner yells at her if she let's her son hug my son, play 'girl' games, dances, plays dress ups or anything that's not 'boy' things. I've stopped seeing her because I can't handle her saying no to her son or my son when they want to dance or snuggle.

It's flippen annoying the whole thing. My son doesn't know a single thing that's girls or boys only!
    My DS1 and his little mate (my besties son) have a 'bromance' going on, they give each other a cuddle when they meet, and a cuddle goodbye. It's really lovely to see them showing each other affection, they really appreciate when they get to see each other.

Kids don't understand the difference between girls things and boys things, why should they? I think it's really important for development for them to pretend play, be it with a toy vacuum or a toy lawnmower. My FIL is so against anything like it, he's very old fashioned and bigoted We have a toy gollywog (he is absolutely beautiful!) and FIL calls him 'n!gger', i can't tell you the amount of times i've stopped him in his tracks about that one. Or telling DS1 off for playing with his baby doll that he breastfeeds, he's just copying me and roleplaying, all a normal part of his development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2bubba View Post
    I took Hayley to her friend's party today, it was at some fairy place and all the girls dressed up as fairies, it was a party just for girls (all from kinder). Anyway, us mothers and a father were all waiting in the waiting area because parents weren't allowed in the party room, one of the little brothers (about 3 years old) of the one of the girls was looking at some fairy outfits and putting some head pieces on his head (things with flowers etc and even a pink sparkle headband) his father says "Put that down mate, you don't wanna wear pink or purple, they're girl colours" I sat there like this then not long after the same little boy saw one of those floor sweeper/vaccuum thingys and started pushing that around, his Dad says "nah, mate boys don't touch those, come and play with your truck (he'd brought his toy truck)" why do some people get so uptight if their sons play with "girly' stuff? Do they think they'll turn gay or turn into a sissy or something. People are id!ots. Even Grant sometimes says things to about Nathan if he goes near the girls' toys but I set him straight.
    how pathetic of that man to say that. Starting the gender stereotyping at such a young age, he should be ashamed

Kids have ZERO awareness of gender stereotypes like that. They play with things that look fun and interesting. Last week I found a bike with training wheels on hard rubbish outside someone's house. It is in really good condition, and it's PINK. DS must have learnt that pink is for girls at kinder , because a day after having it at home he said "I can't have this, it's a girl bike". He still uses it around the back yard, and I actually plan on getting him one of those two wheeler training bikes (with no pedals), but I was pretty happy with the bike we found for free, who cares if it is pink!

DS just happens to prefer playing with bikes, trucks and cars, but at mothers group where he is the only boy out of the 8 older kids, sometimes he does play with girls' toys and I would never ever tell him not to. Luckily my ex is the same, he is happy for DS to play with whatever he wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangarine Mummy Machine View Post
    I get this all the time. My ds loves pink, frills, sparkley clips and dd loves black, dinosaurs, crocodiles, trucks.

Yesterday i got their face painted. Ds went first he asked the lady to be a pink cat. She wanted to do it blue. I told her that his fav colour is pink. She looked at me like i was a freak. Then it was dd's turn. She asked dd what she wanted. Dd said "crocodile". The lady said it was too hard so dd said "dinosaur". The lady said that was also too hard so dd said "spider". The lady asked me if i would prefer a rainbow or a butterfly with lots of sparkles. I said "no dd wants a spider." She then made a comment about how dd is so beautiful but will never get a husband if she isn't a bit more feminine. she is 21 months.
    Oh my god, no way! What a silly woman.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    Are you serious??? What a twit!

Wow my DD loves crocodiles, dinos and trucks too - looks like she will never 'get' herself a hubby either - damn better start making her play with more girl appropriate toys - I mean its never too early to start making yourself into that mould for society
    I did come up with a good comeback afterwards but as usual it was too late to say. "I have a feeling dd's wife will like her just how she is."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think its mostly men who freak out about boys and 'girls' toys. They don't seem to act the same way though if girls show an interest in cars, motorbikes and tools etc. They tend to like that.
    My son has 2 vacuums and loves sweeping and cleaning. He has been like this since he started walking. Not one person has been negative about it. His dad however did not like him getting a doll to wash in the shower as it was a girl toy in his eyes. He loves his pink flowery teaset and playing with fake food helping me cook. All these things are skills we need later in life regardless of gender so I don't undertand why people think the way they do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dont really care about what DS plays with. At the moment he loves to play with Dinosaurs and Cars. Thats what he plays with because thats what he likes. If he were to show an interest in getting a barbie, we would probably get him one. At the moment he has a doll of mine from childhood, as well as one of my cabbage patch dolls. He went through a phase of liking them, but right now isnt really interested. Same as if he showed an interest in getting some type of clothing from the girls sect at the shops. I just really dont think its going to happen because he is a very boyish boy, loves his dirt and such

I was at the shop the other day and a woman was with her son and i didnt catch the start of the convo, all i caught was 'protons are girls cars' and i was like seriously?! dont you have better ambitions for your sons than that they are straight and drive a V8!?

I then went to coles and bought DS the 'girls' yoghurt sticks... its all about being a girl apparently... I wonder if that will make him catch the gays!

For me personally, gender roles are irrelevant. Its about embracing who your children are and nurturing them so they become happy adults who are confident and comfortable in their own skin.