+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Why are some people so scared about their little boys wearing/playing with girl stuff

I took Hayley to her friend's party today, it was at some fairy place and all the girls dressed up as fairies, it was a party just for girls (all from kinder). Anyway, us mothers and a father were all waiting in the waiting area because parents weren't allowed in the party room, one of the little brothers (about 3 years old) of the one of the girls was looking at some fairy outfits and putting some head pieces on his head (things with flowers etc and even a pink sparkle headband) his father says "Put that down mate, you don't wanna wear pink or purple, they're girl colours" I sat there like this then not long after the same little boy saw one of those floor sweeper/vaccuum thingys and started pushing that around, his Dad says "nah, mate boys don't touch those, come and play with your truck (he'd brought his toy truck)" why do some people get so uptight if their sons play with "girly' stuff? Do they think they'll turn gay or turn into a sissy or something. People are id!ots. Even Grant sometimes says things to about Nathan if he goes near the girls' toys but I set him straight.
    Last edited by mum2bubba; 09-10-2010 at 23:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yanno because it might make themgay .

It's stupid! I've got a friend who's partner yells at her if she let's her son hug my son, play 'girl' games, dances, plays dress ups or anything that's not 'boy' things. I've stopped seeing her because I can't handle her saying no to her son or my son when they want to dance or snuggle.

It's flippen annoying the whole thing. My son doesn't know a single thing that's girls or boys only!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DH is the same. I have no issue if my boys want to play will "girly" stuff or if my daughter wants to "rough and tumble" with the boys.,what ever make them happy at the time. I remember one Xmas when Dd was 3 and Ds was 4. Dd was given a beauty salon. She hardly played with it but ds had hours of fun doing his siblings and toys hair!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I got Skye a toy tool box the other day because she's been wanting one for ages, but Grant doesnt say anything, but if Nathan goes over to the doll pram he says things like 'you won't be playing with that when you're older' I'm like 'why not? You push a pram around don't you and you're a male' he doesn't have anything to say after that.

With this guy at the party I felt like saying 'look buddy, just relax ok? You're son is only young, he's just playing and experimenting, I'm sure he's not going to turn gay just because he puts on a girly headband'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I loathe the idea that boys can't be seen nuturing or playing with pinks. My brother saw DS's pink washing machine and just about fainted. My brother cooks and cleans but apparently it's beside the point.

I try my hardest not to let DS hear it but it happens. My SIL took him shopping and wanted to buy him pj's. He came home with blue ones with rockets, they were super cute. He told me after that he wanted the Dorothy ones but his Aunty said no they have frills they're for girls . I went back and bought them for him

I'm fairly outspoken with it now and happily tell someone to get over it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    people are silly.

My DS had a dolls pram and doll when he was little (blue and a boy doll) and DD had hers that was matching (but pink) they had different colours because otherwise they would fight, not because they were pink and blue or anything (just had no other choices)

My mum nagged a bit but i told her that he will grow up to be a good daddy

Incidentally about 2 years later she brought my nephew a doll and a pram

I also use to dress DD and DS the same, she had little denim shorts like him (from boys section) and they had matching shirts in different colours. They looked super cute.

My DD often plays with her big brothers trucks and cars, but i dont stress. I think its crazy people associate colours and toys with gender, its just peer pressure from society really.

* DS only ever had pink PJ's up until he was about 5 DD was 12 months older so he got her hand me downs, now Ds is 6 and DD is 7 he has sprouted right up and she wears his *

I have no problems buying my kids 'boys' or 'girls' toys etc i just buy them what they will play with.

ETA - My DS is colour blind so cant tell pink from red really, nor can he tell purple from blue! He will happily wear a purple/pink shirt and if his friends pick on him he states 'its not for girls, its for boys"
    Last edited by JabberJaw; 09-10-2010 at 23:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    LOL my status right now on facebook is about Lucas wanting a Barbie. He told Chris he wanted a Barbie when the ad came on TV and Chris didn't bat an eyelid because he doesn't really give a crap what his son plays with. Lucas has never taken an interest in dolls but he likes this new Kitten Vet Barbie . It surprised me TBH.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    meh people need to get over the whole boy girl thing, who cares let kids be kids and play what they want.

Mikenzee has all sorts of toys from barbie dolls and strawbery shortcake to dirt bike toys and took kits, one minute she is going to be a ballet dancer when she grows up the next she is going to be bob the builder and goes MAD if i tell her you would be mikenzee the builder, then she wants to be a Surgen then the next thing she is going to be a garbage man. yes MAN lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my son is currently fast asleep in his sister's pink, fluffy, butterfly covered sleepsuit with his pretty curly hair full of glitter that she so kindly put in there earlier. He looks gawjus!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it just me or it seems a bit more one sided?? I know in my experience it seems that way - girls can play with trucks and wear blue and that and 'alot' of people won't care but if a little boy heads for those barbie dolls!! All hell is going to break loose!!!!

Were all for equality in our lives as adults, let the kids be kids and play with that truck or that doll!!!!

Btw - I grew up on a farm, rode motorbikes, shot a gun, played in my brothers hand-me-downs and guess what at 24 I still haven't magically sprouted a willy!!

OP- I would asked the dad if I should have left the room so they could have had a cigar and some brandy!!!