+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and thought I would pop in here. I'm currently 18+2 with my first. I started the pregnancy at about 160kg, and I'm still hovering around that (jump up and down between 159 and 161). I've already been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes which I'm having a hard time controlling with diet (bloody sweet cravings!!!), but my doctor doesn't seem all too concerned by it because my highest reading after a sweet binge has been 9.0, and he said that's pretty good considering. Usually it's between 5.0 and 7.5 though, so he's happy with that. He's also said that it would be good if I lost 10kg during the pregnancy, but if I stayed the same he's okay with that too. Under no circumstances am I to gain weight though!

I'm very nervous about the birth. I live in a small town and the local hospital will not take me for the birth due to my weight. I need to go to the biggest hospital in the region which is 2 hours from me. I'm having my morphology scan done at 19+4 but have to travel the 4 hours (one way) to Melbourne for it. I'll be having my first midwifery appointment at the hospital where I'm to give birth on the same day on my way back from Melbourne. I'm mainly scared that something will go wrong or that they'll need to do a C-section on me. I'm petrified of the prospect of a Caesar or an Epidural. I'm not sure why...

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you over the next few months It's nice to have some women who get what its like to be overweight and pregnant and all the cr*p you have to deal with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi @jazzycat89. Congrats on your pregnancy!

I was also petrified of an Epidural and Csect, and didnt want either, but had both with DS. Honestly, they arent as bad as they seem.
    They got my epi in 3rd go, and once the medication went through, i was completely pain free from the boobs down! Pure bliss!!

My csect was good despite being unplanned, living in Vic, and being flown to Adelaide for the birth (was birthing over the border)! They were calm, talked me through it, kept DS in my sight the whole time, and let me hold him there, i carried him back to our room, we were never separated, they let me try skin to skin while on the table still being stitched up, but due to the gown and how i was laying we couldn't get it open enough there.
    My recovery was amazing. By the end of day 2 i was on panadol only, day 3 i was refusing pain medication... Day 4 i took the endone as they insisted with a 6hr car drive home...from then on i took nothing... I was pretty much able to do most things by 10-14 days, if i was careful and slow. Yet my niece, who was "normal" BMI had a csect 6 weeks earlier (different hospital) and she struggled with pain and infections etc for weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzycat89 View Post
    Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and thought I would pop in here. I'm currently 18+2 with my first. I started the pregnancy at about 160kg, and I'm still hovering around that (jump up and down between 159 and 161). I've already been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes which I'm having a hard time controlling with diet (bloody sweet cravings!!!), but my doctor doesn't seem all too concerned by it because my highest reading after a sweet binge has been 9.0, and he said that's pretty good considering. Usually it's between 5.0 and 7.5 though, so he's happy with that. He's also said that it would be good if I lost 10kg during the pregnancy, but if I stayed the same he's okay with that too. Under no circumstances am I to gain weight though!

I'm very nervous about the birth. I live in a small town and the local hospital will not take me for the birth due to my weight. I need to go to the biggest hospital in the region which is 2 hours from me. I'm having my morphology scan done at 19+4 but have to travel the 4 hours (one way) to Melbourne for it. I'll be having my first midwifery appointment at the hospital where I'm to give birth on the same day on my way back from Melbourne. I'm mainly scared that something will go wrong or that they'll need to do a C-section on me. I'm petrified of the prospect of a Caesar or an Epidural. I'm not sure why...

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you over the next few months It's nice to have some women who get what its like to be overweight and pregnant and all the cr*p you have to deal with
    I have had 4 of my babies around your weight or higher.
    All 4 of those bubs were born naturally and with just gas.

My other i was smaller but i use gas and pethadine (sp?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I would come and say hello!

I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant with baby number 3! and to be honest although I am currebtly at my heaviest ever weight! (145ish kgs) this pregnancy has been the easiest! I think possibly cause I know what to expect and I'm not busy fighting drs but just plodding along doing my own thing!

I too have to go to the major hospital in the area which thankfully for me is only an hour away but I have to go for antenatal visits every 2 weeks which can be a pain in the butt! Especially when I have to go there for ultrasounds or visits to the FMAU in between!

I have had high bp and gestational diabetes in all 3 pregnancies but this time the GD I am finding very easy to control and my levels don't usually go above 6! Although I am taking insulin at night time because otherwise my morning levels are way too high! Also my BP seems to be staying fairly stable much to the drs disgust and worry! Lol I firmly believe I am fitter this pregnancy than the last 2!!

Jazzycat89 I was also terrified of having a csection but I've had 2 now and will be having my third in January. Of course natural birth would be preferable but when I was induced for my first bub (which you will more than likely be cause of your GD even if everything is fine with bub!) I prepared myself for the fact that it could happen and I felt at ease with the result afterwards and although I'm still nervous about this 3rd csection I know I have done it before and can do it again!
    Anyway if you would like some one to talk to about the difficulty of GD I would love to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's so good that you can share your concerns on here and all these lovely ladies respond. I fortunately live around 5 mins from a major hospital so thankfully didn't have to travel. I also escaped GD which I am grateful for.

I too didn't want an epi or c-section. My hospital believes in trial by labour. Due to my pregnancy being IVF they induced me on my due date. Unfortunately my body didn't respond and after a day of contractions I was only 3cm. I asked for the epi as I knew I was a long way off. With the pain of contractions I didn't even notice getting the epi but it was bliss afterwards! My DD began to get a bit of a head swell as the contractions were trying to push her out but there was nowhere to go. 20 hours after induction I had a c-section. The c-section itself was ok. But the recovery time for me took a while and I missed driving! But we will be trying for a second baby and having another c-section and it's not enough to turn me off. It hurts for a while, it's over and you have a beautiful child. I'm 6 months in now and can barely remember how those first few weeks felt (except the breastfeeding - ouch!). It's normal to worry, but you can't control much in there and like someone else pointed out stories are so varied among any weight range so you never know. In 12 months from now hopefully it will be a distant (pleasant) memory for you too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ladies it's so nice to hear your experiences and your words of encouragement! This is my first pregnancy, and because of shared care I haven't even spoken to anyone at this point about what could possibly happen during birth or what my options are.

I have bipolar, anxiety and antenatal depression as well, so I think for the me fear of the c-section and epidural are stemming from the idea that I won't have any control over the birthing process. For me, not being in control fuels major anxiety and causes me to have panic attacks. Being pregnant in general causes me a lot of anxiety because I only have so much control, and the further along I get, the more out of control my body seems to feel - it's just doing it's own thing and I'm along for the ride I swear! LOL. I'd also always built up this 'image' of what being pregnant and giving birth would be like, and so far the reality is not living up to expectations there's no glow, or baby bump, or feeling sexy - I feel swollen, bloated, in pain, oily and generally gross. I can't see my baby bump, even though I can feel it in there. I've slowed down and I know it's because I'm pregnant, but I get looked at by strangers as though I'm 'just fat' or as if I'm putting it on. I feel like I need a bunch of t-shirts that tell people to bugger off judging me, I'm up the duff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I Know that feeling @jazzycat89. With my son i was 136kgs when i fell pregnant, and 144 when i delivered!

I freaked out at his 3rd birthday this year when i was 149.5kgs, and set about losing some. I had just hit 124.7 or something when we got our BFP. (The lightest ive been in about 6 years!)

My overall goal is to try and not go over my BFP weight with DS, but unless a miracle happens for the next 22ish weeks, ill surpass it This time ive had nausia, aversions to ALL things healthy, and extreme fatigue but the fatigue is settling now and im feeling more human.

I also have an underactive thyroid (which was discovered when my son was 6mnths old) and have been on Thyroxine since then. My levels have been stable so far this time which is great My BP last week was 111/72 which is great for me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, how are you all?

I have a question for those of you who have/had gestational diabetes. Did you have to go on Metformin tablets at all? And if you did, what were you levels like in the week afterwards?

I have GD and was controlling it pretty well with diet, except that my fasting readings were SLIGHTLY high (5.4 instead of 5.0 or less). I was put on Metformin (Diformin I'm taking, same stuff) and started taking it last Wednesday night. I have not changed what I am eating at all - keeping the same balanced, relatively healthy diet that kept my levels within range before the Diformin. Now my levels are all over the place!!! I take the 500mg of Diformin with/after dinner, and now my morning levels are often over 6 (6.8 this morning!!!). Also, the rest of the day my levels are also crazy - even though I switch up what I'm eating every day, they're things that usually controlled my sugar beforehand. Last night after eating dinner, my levels were 9.0!!! Last week I had the EXACT same thing (I froze the leftovers) and my levels were 5.8 afterwards!!! WTH?!

Does anyone have any insight they could share with me, please. I'm freaking out!

I have no idea what is happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Jazzy who has put you on metaformin? I'm in my 3rd pregnancy and I've had GD with each one. Each time I've been told any tablets aren't considered appropriate for pregnancy because it can be passed onto the baby and will affect the babdy's BSL. That pregnant women inject insulin because it is a way of directly controlling the issue and then the baby won't be affected at all because all it is getting is a normal sugar level from mum anyway.

I'm sorry I don't have any information on Metaformin but I would be questioning why you have been put on it and not told to inject insulin?

My GD generally presents the same way. I don't have issues controlling day time levels with diet/exercise alone but my morning levels are terrible! I only take slow acting insulin before bed and it has been helping me control my levels very effectively! Most mornings I will wake up and have a level of 4.5. It does get adjusted frequently. Usually at least every few weeks but sometimes a couple of times a week we will have to adjust it!

I also generally make sure I eat a few less carbs at dinner but always have my bed time snack about an hour before bed.

Have they gone through the amount of carbs you should be eating? I was given some great advice by my endo team and that was to actually not stick to the diet that the diabetes team gave me but to eat less carbs! They were asking me to eat WAY too many carbs at meal times and my levels were only getting higher and higher! Since I made the switch my say time levels rarely get above 6.0 and ocaasionally I will get as high as 6.8 but never higher!

If you want to chat more about it I am around!!
    Last edited by EmilsMum; 23-11-2014 at 08:11.

Chubear is offline Mummy to two baby rhinos (according to them!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had GD both pregnancies (just had 2nd bub), and both times the drs started me with metformin tablets. That controlled it for a while but as I got further along I had to start insulin. In some people the tablets just don't work or have sideffects. I would suggest talking to your endo team, they may switch you to insulin injections.
    When my levels started jumping it was my body not the meds but everyone is different. Are you doing more or less exercise? That can effect levels too. Also if you have a cold or flu it can spike your readings.