+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    there are alot of terms like the one you mentioned that i think are uncouth.. personally, i hate "dont you have any tv's?" the most!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, I don't have a big family, but still hate silly comments...

I hate the comment "geez, you've got your hands full" when anyone sees me with my 3 boys (4,2&3mths)...well I only have 2 hands, so stating the obvious!! pfft...or the other one "so, you trying for a girl now?" ummm, no, I actually LIKE having 3 boys! blegh! people just don't think before they speak....

Thanks
    Reviews
    OVER SENSITIVE for sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwibird27 View Post
    OVER SENSITIVE for sure
    Who?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was guilty until I actually WENT through labour. 21hrs of established labour, and nearly bleeding to death- nothing like just 'popping' a baby out.
    my mum uses it, but she fell preg within a week of trying, had dream pregnancies and fantastic labours (my little sister was nearly a 'toilet baby' as mum had 45 mins of a mild tummy ache (labour) and just happened to get checked out in case)
    which definately gave me high expectations of my own labour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha kangaskippy I get it all the time too. "so what if I have three boys? I'm a mum, that makesme busy regardless of their gender! Oh and no, I won't be trying for a girl next!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nah none of the phrases really phase me

7fornow is offline Blessed Mummy to 1 awesome man and 6 lovely ladies!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It bothers me, but I don't think it really matters which one of the inconsiderate, insensitive comments are made, just the fact that these people think it is ok to comment on my life without a) considering how it might make me or my children feel, since the comments are usually made in front of them and b) not cleaning up their own personal lives first, because after all, they must be perfect and doing it all the correct way if my life is so wrong to them. I think the ones that get me most though, probably are the "Don't you have a tv?" as though they think it's humorous and like they're the first to think of it and also the whole "You're hands are full, haven't you worked out what does it yet?" Well, I'd rather have my hands full than have them empty and obviously my Husband and I have a great relationship if we feel comfortable and confident enough to share our love with more than just one or two children. I mean, how would these peole feel if we made comments on their lives like "What, no kids? You must be so lonely...Or selfish" or something like, " Oh, only one child? Couldn't you handle the pain, or are you just happy to deprive your child of a sibling?" You know what I mean? And for the record, I in no uncertain terms agree with the statements I have just made and have never and will never, actually say them to someone! I am all for it being an individuals choice, hence why it annoys and upsets me so much that people think they have the right to comment on someone's life. It just seems so unfair to assume one or two children= wanted, loved and planned whereas anything over that and especially in the higher numbers over 4=unwanted, unloved, unplanned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, I hate that term as well I've 'only' got 3 kids, but have had a family member say to us that we just keep popping them out.... it makes it sound like we just keep getting pregnant without thinking about it or planning for it.

Our 1st child was very much planned for, then we went through fertility treatment to have our 2nd child. And yes, our 3rd child was a complete surprise, but we like it think of him as our little reward for all the sadness we went through trying to have our 2nd

And I certainly don't POP them out either- one horrible VB and two c-sections is not what I call popping them out!

Some people are just so insensitive and don't have enough manners to know that its inappropriate to comment on other people's lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still use that term even though I had a 17 hour labour 2 of which were pushing. Obviously I don't find it offensive.

I might say something like 'i wonder when she is going to stop popping' them out' when referring to someone I know who keeps having unplanned bubs. For me the popping out is not about the birth but more about the speed of creating a family when there is no pressing need to (such as age or illness of family member etc).