+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pelvic and back pain 6 weeks after birth

I never had this pain straight after labour but for a week now I have had lower abdoman pain and back pain and no longer bleeding but a clear discharge with a bit of pink through it. Gp said it was a pelvic infection i have Been on antibiotics since Thursday but pain is still there and gets worse when I need to wee or open my Bowles it honestly feels like im getting contractions then doesnt go until i go to wee or open my bowles, and i cant hold my wee either i have to go straight away orwhen i wear tight pants around my stomach. Shouldn't the antibiotics have worked by now??
    i went back to the gp today and told her the pain is getting worse she said it seems like a UTI. She started me on another antibiotic until my urine results get back tomorrow or the day after. Its really freaking me out now. The first said its a pelvic infection now a UTI.
    Anyone else had this before Im not bf and haven't got my period yet either.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have issueswith urinating or continence? I had major pain under my pubic bone and back and major pain voiding for 6 weeks and then found out I had urinary retention which meant i'd had a bladder that was full (700mls+ when you should only be holding 230-300mls) and that gave me major issues with pain in that area. Did you have stitches or an epidural?
    By the sounds of your urge to urinate Id say something is going on, if you have associated burning I'd say UTI but if nothing I'd organise to get a bladder scan..can you update when you get the results?? Are you on cephalex? (sorry about spelling)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    no burning but costant urinating and i have to rush. last pelvic ultrasound i had showed i had bladder retention but they said it wasnt anything major. she put me on keflex. i was on flagyl cause they thought i had a pelvic infection.
    what do u do for ur retention? and yes i have stitches not sure if they have dissolved though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the ultrasound was about a year ago

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow..the fact that you had retention but they didn't do anything about it isn't good...did you happen to remember the amount that was in your bladder at the time? If you had issues then and have this pain now, I would be requesting another scan asap.
    I went to hospital, back to my midwives at 6 week in utter agony, got a baldder scan and they discovered the retention and emptied my bladder then and there and that was by far, worse than giving birth I kid you not. Sorry but it's true. Then I had to have an indwelling catheter for 2 weeks and then I had to self catheterise for another 2 weeks until the amount retained after a void was down to 100mls or less.
    If you can, I would ask for a follow up appointment with the hospital if you can. I was on all the same things as you too.
    Oh and some of my stitches didn't disolve at all and they had to get it cut out, so get them to check then too.
    but make sure you get something done about it asap..it had gotten truly bad before I went for help..and really stuffed me around so it's good to sort it out...let me know ok?? zx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Were u on flagyl and keflex at the same time?? Because I hAd already started flagyl I have to keep taking it but they also told me tostart the keflex at the same time. I have my 6 week check up on Thursday I will tell them about the bladder retention

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I got sent home with then both but stopped flagyl as it was interfering with bfeeding. So keflex then on it's own and then again for 2 weeks straight while I had catheter. Mind you...i still had a UTI at the end of the course because keflex is a broad anti biotic so didn't cover the specific infection i had. I would insist on a bladder scan. Let me know how it goes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going tomorrow I wanted to stop the flagyl but they Said had to keep going on it.
    but it's giving me really bad cramps and diahorea I feel like my guts are going to come out soon!!! And mind u my discharge is still yellowy sorry tmi. But the pain is better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Flagyl is hardcore stuff..that's why I'm glad i came off when I did..how did you go today???