+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 12 month old eating habits

Over the last month my 12 month old doesn't seem to be eating as much. He has been solely on solids during the day with a bottle of formula morning and night for about the last 3 months. That was working well in the beginning, he ate good sized meals with snacks in between, slept well at night (never slept thru but was fairly easy to settle back to sleep) and was happy but lately he just seems to want to snack a little during the day then at night he doesn't sleep as well, wakes every few hours, wont settle without a bottle and over the last week settling him after a bottle is getting difficult.

Id rather him be off the bottle at night but dont really mind if I need to give him 1. A 12 month old shouldn't be needing 3 bottles a night??

During the day I try to give him a variety of different foods. He wont let me spoon feed him anything anymore and lately he'll only eat a few pieces of something himself and throw the rest on the floor, so I try to give him a different selection of foods and he doesn't eat that either.

Any suggestions on how I could get him to eat a meal and reduce night time bottles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    How much milk/formula does he have in the daytime ?
    I think ( can't be postive ) they should still have around 500 - 600 mL in the day as well as solids, so perhaps that could be part of the problem ?

As for getting him to eat a meal, we pretty much just do finger food here ( DS is nearly 14 months ) and that works so much easier than spoon feeding. Just keep offering him food, he'll take it if he is hungry. Some favourite finger foods around here are :

Toast with avacado
    Sliced up banana, apple, cheese, watermelon
    Slice pieces of chicken.
    Vegetarian sausages or hotdogs.
    Pieces of ham.

I also find sometimes I need to "kick start" a meal for DS by pretending to eat something from his plate and then letting him have it after me. He seems to start gobbling it up then !

Hope I've been somewhat helpful

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there are going to be great suggestion from other BHs however I just wanted to jump on here to give you a and to tell you not to worry about what bubs should be doing/eating/drinking...

Maybe water down the formula or try giving water if you are worried about the bottle affecting his appetite.

My DD was exactly the same...feeding was all over the place from 9-12 months and I think 'most' babies go through a difficult stage.

All you can do is pick what they eat and went to give it to them. So make sure that you are giving him a lot of protein and energy and not empty foods which mean he might be waking up hungry.

Although you said he is even hard to settle after a bottle sometimes...while he may settle on the bottle most times I think it is out of comfort rather then because it is satisfying his hunger. When DDs day nap was changing she had bad night sleeps also when she was teething, getting/having/or getting over a flu or when she was going through a stage of seperation anxiety....

Is he not liking being feed via spoon...DD was very independent and had issues until she could feed herself finger foods.

I have found now since she was 12+ months some days she can eat heaps and will wake 5 times and sometimes she can eat hardly anything and sleeps through...I stressed for a long time that it was the level of food she was getting however I think it was the other things I mentioned.

HTH
    Last edited by futureherder; 14-09-2010 at 11:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.

PacmansMum: He has 180mL in the morning and I offer another 180mL just before bedtime but depending on how tired or cranky he is, he'll have anywhere between 20mL-180mL. Then usually wakes around 2-3am for another 180mL. Last night he woke at 12.30am and 3.30am and had 180mL each time.

I try to mainly give him finger foods eg toast, corn, ham, chicken, cheese but run out of ideas of things to give him and also try to spoon feed for some extra variety, eg yogurt, risotto etc.
    With the finger foods he'll usually only have a few things and the rest goes on the floor so ill try some different foods and then give up and try again in another half hour to an hour. I feel like im trying to give him little snacks all thru the day and teaching him a bad habit of not having a full meal.
    He never eats any fruit I give him either

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's probably just the age.
    Has he started crawling/pulling himself up/walking etc lately ?
    Because those milestones can sometimes disrupt their feeding and sleeping a bit.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

As for fruit, try putting a small spoonful of yoghurt on each little piece. It seems to get DS interesting if he is in a fussy mood.

If you are worried he isn't eating enough go see your GP. Keep offering solids and IMO I'd offer another bottle in the afternoon sometime

Sounds like you're doing a great job though.