+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did KL with a 14 month old. He loved it. Be aware that you might have to carry prams up quite a few stairs though!! The flight is not too long. There are plenty of different places to visit, but we were pretty happy shopping and eating!

What about singapore? There is lots for kiddies to do there, bird parks and such, we are wanting to go there when our two are older.

The thing to be aware of if you are wanting to go to an asian country, is that you need to be prepared to travel with your child on your lap in the taxis, as they generally have no laws regarding it, and so dont carry seats. Iknow this is something most people worry about. Public transport is generally pretty good though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hawaii would be good. I have not been there with a child but its a great holiday destination. Food is familiar and cheap. If you go to Oahu there is heaps to do and great shopping, both local stuff and all the big US brands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happychild View Post
    Hi Ms Mummy!

I'm going through the same dilemma as you! Am trying to plan an overseas holiday with a 1.5 yo...with the extra complication that I'm carrying twins.

You mentioned Hk a few times. My DH and I really wanted to go there too!! (we're originally from HK)...BUT we've actually decided against it because it is actually NOT very child-friendly. It's a great place but i think it'll be rough with kids...but up to you...if you dont mind a bit of squishing here and there and staying up late..then HK is not bad!

We're considering Fiji too...it sounds nice but like you, I'm worried we'd get bored...if I wanted to to to a resort...lots of places much closer and cheaper...

Have you considered Singapore? It might be a bit boring if you're staying there for the whole 3 weeks....but it's generally a very nice and safe asian city too!! (like japan but more humid). It's a lot closer though. Plus they speak English!! (your DH would like that)...and the have a Universal Studio there now which I've heard is quite good for kids. Guess you could tag that with KL if you're going that way?

We're also thinking NZ but you've already been =).
    I would highly recommend NZ. You do miss out on the walks a bit travelling with a child, but still lots to see.

I'm having the same thought re resorts. I could just go up to North Queensland.

I've had a couple of stopovers in Singapore. One for 3 nights, from memory. It wasn't too bad, but I don't know if I'd go there as a standalone destination. Although we did find this great Indian vegetarian fast food place, that was made to look like a McDonald's but all veggie (vegetarians like us are easily entertained by novelties!).

Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    We did KL with a 14 month old. He loved it. Be aware that you might have to carry prams up quite a few stairs though!! The flight is not too long. There are plenty of different places to visit, but we were pretty happy shopping and eating!

What about singapore? There is lots for kiddies to do there, bird parks and such, we are wanting to go there when our two are older.

The thing to be aware of if you are wanting to go to an asian country, is that you need to be prepared to travel with your child on your lap in the taxis, as they generally have no laws regarding it, and so dont carry seats. Iknow this is something most people worry about. Public transport is generally pretty good though.
    yeah, the transport thing is one of my worries. My two Asian holidays were pretty hairy road safety wise, which I didn't care about for myself, but I'd probably be a bit more worried with my son.

I'm starting to think we should just hire a campervan and go to Tasmania. It sounds lovely there. or maybe to WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Amara View Post
    Hawaii would be good. I have not been there with a child but its a great holiday destination. Food is familiar and cheap. If you go to Oahu there is heaps to do and great shopping, both local stuff and all the big US brands.
    My partner was quite interested in Hawaii. I think the volcanoes caught his eye.

Will keep an eye out for cheap flights!

So many holiday ideas, so little time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Msmummy, we have spent a lot of time off the beaten track in Bali. Would be a great destination with a toddler. The central mountain distrcis are beautiful, lots to do other than sitting in the beach, no need to be contained to resorts at all.
    Pm me if you want some info.
    Oh, and a couple of weeks would come in well under your budget.
    We are planning on 6-12 months there before F starts school.
    Roads are not too hairy. No one goes fast enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about Singapore? I haven't been , but it's on our to do list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some great places have been mentioned. You can do Bali really cheap these days, but I would avoid the touristy Kuta scene, bleugh. I prefer to go off the beaten track

Definitely keep an eye out for cheap tickets to Japan, my friends went over last year and each spent way less than $5000. They got the cheapest tickets ever (although they flew out of Cairns, and we only live in T'ville).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    My partner was quite interested in Hawaii. I think the volcanoes caught his eye.
    If you're interested in volcanoes, don't go to Hawaii! The Americans are so security conscious the volcanoes are completely boring. For volcanoes, you've got to go to the island of Tanna in Vanuatu. The volcano there is AMAZING. You get to stand down the bottom on the flats beneath the volcano and listening to it breathing. It is something else -- like being near a dragon And then you get to climb it and look inside. My parents took the family when my brother and I were teenagers and my mum spent the whole time having fits about us falling in, but it was so much fun. As was the light plane flight complete with chickens and so on.

I don't think they've lost too many tourists. Not sure about their toddler-rate.