+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    yes, that's my feeling about the resorts - worried I'll get bored.

Maybe I should think about Bali. I'm probably unfairly writing these places off because what I perceive them to be.
    Depends what you personally want for your holiday.

I love doing all the adventure stuff but sometimes when we go away all I want to do is sit by a pool and have someone wait on me.

It doesn't happen often enough so I am just happy relaxing. But it can only work if the kids are entertained.

What options has your travel agent given you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DD to Kuala Lumpur last year (she was 2.5 at the time), and not only did we enjoy it, but she did too. We have actually booked to go back in March/April next year when DD will be 4y.o, and DS will be about 6 months old.

There's heaps of things to do - not just shopping, lots of different tours, and activities for the grown ups and the kiddies too.

With Air Asia you can get pretty cheaps flights over (for our trip in March we're paying $77 one way (we got them on sale) each + luggage and taxes etc, but still it's ended up costing only about $700 return for the 3 of us [DS will be added onto the itinerary when he's born]).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Maybe I should think about Bali. I'm probably unfairly writing these places off because what I perceive them to be.
    The great thing about Bali is you can usually get cheap fares there and its mega cheap once you get there! I'd see if you can get hold of a lonely planet guide and have a look, I just go and sit at Borders for hours and read travel books (nerd, I know, I'm not even planning a trip!). There is a lot there, I think we stayed a week in a hotel in Sanur, then travelled down to Uluwatu (temple right down south of island), then up the east side to Padangbai, into Ubud (artists village), up to the volcano and hot springs (climbed the volcano)- this was my favourite part of the holiday, then up north to Singaraja, we must've stayed in other places too but these are the ones I remember. It was so fantastic, Balinese people are just so beautiful. There's also a small island called Lombok off Bali you could go to for a couple of days too.

Most places you could do this though, I also travelled around Thailand a bit, you could go to Phuket then across to Krabi and Phi Phi Island, or do Northern Thailand, go to Chiang Mai and go north from there?

Otherwise I'm sure you could do the same in Fiji, Samoa, Hawaii etc. Just that Bali and Thailand are so cheap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by korfire View Post
    Depends what you personally want for your holiday.

I love doing all the adventure stuff but sometimes when we go away all I want to do is sit by a pool and have someone wait on me.

It doesn't happen often enough so I am just happy relaxing. But it can only work if the kids are entertained.

What options has your travel agent given you?
    I haven't spoken to a travel agent. The last few holidays we've taken, we've just organised everything ourselves.

i should go see one for ideas. a friend has a couple of friends who work at Flight Centre. i could ask one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by second time mumma View Post
    We took DD to Kuala Lumpur last year (she was 2.5 at the time), and not only did we enjoy it, but she did too. We have actually booked to go back in March/April next year when DD will be 4y.o, and DS will be about 6 months old.

There's heaps of things to do - not just shopping, lots of different tours, and activities for the grown ups and the kiddies too.

With Air Asia you can get pretty cheaps flights over (for our trip in March we're paying $77 one way (we got them on sale) each + luggage and taxes etc, but still it's ended up costing only about $700 return for the 3 of us [DS will be added onto the itinerary when he's born]).
    I was thinking about KL before. Neither of us have been.

And maybe Hong Kong. i've been, but my partner hasn't.

I should subscribe to Air Asia emails so I can get notice of specials.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    The great thing about Bali is you can usually get cheap fares there and its mega cheap once you get there! I'd see if you can get hold of a lonely planet guide and have a look, I just go and sit at Borders for hours and read travel books (nerd, I know, I'm not even planning a trip!). There is a lot there, I think we stayed a week in a hotel in Sanur, then travelled down to Uluwatu (temple right down south of island), then up the east side to Padangbai, into Ubud (artists village), up to the volcano and hot springs (climbed the volcano)- this was my favourite part of the holiday, then up north to Singaraja, we must've stayed in other places too but these are the ones I remember. It was so fantastic, Balinese people are just so beautiful. There's also a small island called Lombok off Bali you could go to for a couple of days too.

Most places you could do this though, I also travelled around Thailand a bit, you could go to Phuket then across to Krabi and Phi Phi Island, or do Northern Thailand, go to Chiang Mai and go north from there?

Otherwise I'm sure you could do the same in Fiji, Samoa, Hawaii etc. Just that Bali and Thailand are so cheap.
    That's a good idea. I might borrow some Lonely Planets from the library for some ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Japan is great! We went last year (just me and DH as we haven't had our first baby yet) but we noticed lots of travellers with kids. It's a very kid-friendly culture and probably the safest place I've ever been to.

Not sure you could do it for less than $5k but have a look online at accommodation options. We went for 3 weeks and spent about $12k total. That was for Jetstar flights, a 3 week rail pass, comfortable accommodation and all activities and meals we ate etc.

Also if you go it's SO easy to travel between cities and small towns via train. Just buy your rail pass before you leave Australia, it's cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Japan is great! We went last year (just me and DH as we haven't had our first baby yet) but we noticed lots of travellers with kids. It's a very kid-friendly culture and probably the safest place I've ever been to.

Not sure you could do it for less than $5k but have a look online at accommodation options. We went for 3 weeks and spent about $12k total. That was for Jetstar flights, a 3 week rail pass, comfortable accommodation and all activities and meals we ate etc.

Also if you go it's SO easy to travel between cities and small towns via train. Just buy your rail pass before you leave Australia, it's cheaper.
    I was worried about the accommodation being expensive.

Occasionally Jetstar have really good sale fares to Japan.

For some reason my partner doesn't want to go to a non-English speaking country now that we have a child. He's travelled a reasonable amount, including 7 weeks by himself through Middle East, but he thinks it's all too hard with a child.

I'll have to sort him out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did two weeks in Japan with an 18 month old and it was great, but I don't think you'd be doing 3 weeks for under $5000. While things like eating out were quite cheap (especially with an 18 month old in tow), the rail passes are pricey and so is accommodation.

I'd try Fiji, or Vanuatu, or maybe New Caledonia. For something different that isn't too far, there's Guam and Saipan. I think Hong Kong would be great and Malaysia would be good too. Have only been to Bangkok, so can't really comment on Thailand much and I'm not keen on Bali...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum_I'm_hungry View Post
    We did two weeks in Japan with an 18 month old and it was great, but I don't think you'd be doing 3 weeks for under $5000. While things like eating out were quite cheap (especially with an 18 month old in tow), the rail passes are pricey and so is accommodation.

I'd try Fiji, or Vanuatu, or maybe New Caledonia. For something different that isn't too far, there's Guam and Saipan. I think Hong Kong would be great and Malaysia would be good too. Have only been to Bangkok, so can't really comment on Thailand much and I'm not keen on Bali...
    Thanks for that. I know nothing of Guam and Saipan, so will google.

I've been to Hong Kong and mainland China, but I enjoyed HK and would like to go back.

I'm on anticipatory holiday overload (I've avoided thinking about them for ages). My partner finishes uni in November, so it's suddenly occured to me that we'll be off the poverty line next year and can afford a holiday. But it has to be cheap as we need to do some work on the house, which seems far less exciting than a holiday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ms Mummy!

I'm going through the same dilemma as you! Am trying to plan an overseas holiday with a 1.5 yo...with the extra complication that I'm carrying twins.

You mentioned Hk a few times. My DH and I really wanted to go there too!! (we're originally from HK)...BUT we've actually decided against it because it is actually NOT very child-friendly. It's a great place but i think it'll be rough with kids...but up to you...if you dont mind a bit of squishing here and there and staying up late..then HK is not bad!

We're considering Fiji too...it sounds nice but like you, I'm worried we'd get bored...if I wanted to to to a resort...lots of places much closer and cheaper...

Have you considered Singapore? It might be a bit boring if you're staying there for the whole 3 weeks....but it's generally a very nice and safe asian city too!! (like japan but more humid). It's a lot closer though. Plus they speak English!! (your DH would like that)...and the have a Universal Studio there now which I've heard is quite good for kids. Guess you could tag that with KL if you're going that way?

We're also thinking NZ but you've already been =).