+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,609
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,920
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default Cheap overseas holiday with toddler - destination suggestions?

    For 2 adults, and child who would be between 2-3 at the time.

    Preferably under $5,000.

    I'm thinking Japan as you can get cheap flights through Jetstar.

    I like sight-seeing holidays, but NZ is out as we went in February.

    I'm not into beach resorts (I love the beach, though) so Phuket, Bali, Fiji etc aren't really of interest. I don't think a cruise would be my thing either.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,609
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,920
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I seen flights to the UK the other day for just on $1200 return Austria would be lovely this time of year too (still warm but getting cold)
    I was thinking Europe for their summer next year, but I don't think the budget would extend.

    Due to long-haul flights, I'd want to go for at least 3 weeks so the accommodation would push us way over budget.

    That's a great price for UK flights though.

    Although, I will go google as maybe I could go on one of these mythical child free holidays to save money!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,299
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    41
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would loooove to do Vietnam and Cambodia, just can't convince DH...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked
    54
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends? Do you want cheap flight to a destination and are prepared to pay whatever for spending when you get there or do you want budget all round?

    Fiji, Bali, Thailand are all pretty reasonable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,609
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,920
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by W+E+O View Post
    I would loooove to do Vietnam and Cambodia, just can't convince DH...
    I went to Vietnam for 3 weeks, at Christmas 2005/2006.

    it was absolutely amazing. We did one of those small group Geckos tours for most of it, but you could quite easily do it self guided as they have a pretty well-worn tourist trail.

    I would strongly recommend it!

    I'm loath to go with a toddler though, as some of the transport was a bit hairy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,609
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,920
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by korfire View Post
    Depends? Do you want cheap flight to a destination and are prepared to pay whatever for spending when you get there or do you want budget all round?

    Fiji, Bali, Thailand are all pretty reasonable.
    I was wanting to spend no less than $5k for whole holiday, including flights.

    they are cheap destinations.

    Maybe I need to get over my phobia of beach resorts. I just have this idea that you spend the whole time in the resorts lying by the pool, and participating in an array of activities within the resort.

    If you go to Fiji, are there lots of sightseeing opportunities?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked
    54
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like Fiji with children. You can do a few things

    - visit a traditional village
    - water sports
    - a cruise with lunch, kava drinking, snorkelling etc.
    - horse riding on selected beaches
    - heaps of cultural event and shows you could attend

    If you plan in advance you will do well. Just tell your travel agent what you want.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,609
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,920
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by korfire View Post
    I like Fiji with children. You can do a few things

    - visit a traditional village
    - water sports
    - a cruise with lunch, kava drinking, snorkelling etc.
    - horse riding on selected beaches
    - heaps of cultural event and shows you could attend

    If you plan in advance you will do well. Just tell your travel agent what you want.
    I have just been looking at Fiji holidays. They are very reasonably priced.

    I will look into it further. Thanks for that.

    My partner just suggested Hawaii, which could be interesting.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,694
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get the beach resort thing HOWEVER when I went to Bali as a child we went for about 2-3 weeks and travelled around the island, didn't stay in Kuta at all and I think mum and dad hired a car and we drove up to the volcano in the middle where they have HOt Springs, then up North to the beaches with black sand, it was so great. When I take my kids there we will do the same thing. Too boring just staying in a resort.

    You could do the same in other places, Western Samoa is meant to be nice?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,609
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,920
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I get the beach resort thing HOWEVER when I went to Bali as a child we went for about 2-3 weeks and travelled around the island, didn't stay in Kuta at all and I think mum and dad hired a car and we drove up to the volcano in the middle where they have HOt Springs, then up North to the beaches with black sand, it was so great. When I take my kids there we will do the same thing. Too boring just staying in a resort.

    You could do the same in other places, Western Samoa is meant to be nice?
    yes, that's my feeling about the resorts - worried I'll get bored.

    Maybe I should think about Bali. I'm probably unfairly writing these places off because what I perceive them to be.


 

Similar Threads

  1. CHEAP Holiday entertainment for Kids!
    By Princess Nicole in forum Perth
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-09-2012, 15:59
  2. Aussie Mum's 1m bill for overseas holiday birth
    By Mod-Uniquey in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-03-2012, 22:37
  3. Ideas on cheap things to do on holiday in TAS
    By AppleIsleSMum in forum Tasmania
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 06:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and BroadwayPregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›