+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what was the most memorable gift you received when you had bub?

Hi All,
    Sure this has been done before but I did look.

My cousin is due to give birth to her first in a couple of weeks. and I'm trying to think of something "different" to give her.

I'm also 4 months pregnant so feel like I should have some great idea but I can't think of what I would want even!

I don't want to do the usual baby cloths/blanket/toy as I'm sure they will get plenty of that.

I thought of things like a milk band/thermometer etc little useful things.. but didn't get very far!

Another idea was to get some other cousins to put in to get them a photo shoot for once bubs is born but don't know if that's everones cup of tea.... Or maybe a cleaner. But could prob only afford 1 day...

Anyway they don't know the sex, I'm not sure if she's planning on breast feeding, or other parenting things (slings/nappies etc)

So what was the most unique/different/useful gift you received when you had bub?

Have a budget of maybe $50 or $150 if I get others to put in...

I did just read a suggestion for a photo of the sunrise the morning the baby was born, but I'm not sure if they'd have somewhere to put it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Most usefull: A washing basket of nappy wipes, nappies, bottles, soap, nappy rich cream, thermometer for the bath and normal ect.

Most unique: a porcelain musical merry go round with unicorns. It's adorable and whenever bub was crying I'd play it and it would settle her down.

Different: DF hired me a cleaner that is still here 12 months on. Also a few weeks worth of home made frozen foods (was a total lifesaver)
    Last edited by waterlily; 10-09-2010 at 09:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved the collectable paddington Bear one of my good girlfriends got my bub.

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The Womb Bear my bestie bought me, it was a teddy bear that made swishing sounds recorded from the womb....DD LOVED it when she was just born & continued to settle her for months & months. Even the midwives in hospital commented on how amazing it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and what do you definitely NOT want?

Are baby clothes/toys really a "oh yah another one great" type of thing or do you still love them?

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After listening to me complain about the fact that I couldn't wear heels whilst pregnant (I am Clumsy-The-Wonder-Klutz at the best of times ) my very lovely friend threw me my baby shower and as well as getting me and inexpensive yet very usefull baby item (Changemat and covers from Ikea) she also got me a gorgeous pair of brown suede super high heels with a note on them reading 'something to look forward too : )'

It really made my day

She also got all of my friends and family together and made them (You just don't say no to Amanda ) sit down and make a scrapbook page for the baby. It's so beautiful and just the most gorgeous keepsake. I love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my children were given a Kaloo flat bear. Totally memorable because I totally love each of the givers and because they are now my childrens "lovies". They sleep with them every night and travel just about everywhere with us. They are the most special things for each of my babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My best friend bought me the Beatrix potter Peter Rabbit book collection. It was a nice idea because i loved reading it to him when he was only tiny and i had the very same book when i was a child. Not very original but she also chucked in a $100 gift voucher for pumpkin patch as well. It was the usual clothes gift but i got to pick them out myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    We received a voucher to do a newborn photoshoot with a local photographer. The voucher covered the sitting fee & an enlargement of the photo of our choice, and then if we wanted to purchase anything additional we could. I loved it as it was something a bit different that I wanted to get done anyway and now we've got some amazing photos to look back on as DS grows up. I loved the idea so much that I've gifted the same thing to other new mums and depending on the photographer & their experience I've been quoted between $50-$95 for similar inclusions.

nat278 is offline <<< View from the little piece paradise I call home....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister bought me a will kit when I had my first, at first I thought it was strange but I took about 5 minutes to realise it wasn't a gift to think about death rather an insurance for my new son that he will always be provided for...

Obviously not something that you could give to just anyone but coming from my sister it was lovely....

As far as other gifts go for DS1: we were given a Teddy bear and I still protect it from getting damaged or anything cause it means alot to me... When in hospital after his birth I had an old lady who would come visit me daily (also a patient at hospital) she would get me in trouble for walking around so soon after giving birth and I would get her in trouble for walking around so soon after having a heart attack... Lol my mum worked in aged care and knew the lady from her work, sadly 6 weeks after DS was born Sheila passed away we went to her funeral and said goodbye, a few days later I came home to find mum with a gift for baby I opened it and it was a gift from Sheila that her family knew she wanted my son to have.... My mum and I cried and I treasure it!

PS. I love the photo session idea... Very nice!