+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Natural IVF Fertilization & ICIS Fertilisation

Hi Ladies

I just had my OPU on last Wednesday and 30 viable eggs were collected and out of the lot, 24 were matured eggs. My hubby Sperm count is normal but both of us decided to proceed with a 50% natural IVF fertilization and the other 50% to be fertilized by ICIS. However the "knock-out" rate for ICIS seems high for my case!

Today is Day 3 and only 5 out of 12 of the ICIS embbies are deemed suitable to be frozen while 10 of 12 nature fertilized embbies are suitable to be frozen.

Is it true that my egg quality is causing the high "knock out" rate of my ICIS fertilized embbies ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

I would think you overstimulated which is why you produced so many eggs. That's an aweful lot so not unusual for alot to drop off. A nurse once told me that the lesser the number of eggs the better quality they are. You still have a good number of eggs so far so I wouldn't worry.

My first egg collection they got 11 eggs, 4 made it to embryo's, 1 fresh transfer failed and our son was our second attempt frozen transfer.

I recently had another egg collection and they only got 6 eggs this time and 2 made it to embryo's. This time fresh transfer worked first time and I'm 11 weeks preg.

You'll be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hope not - im currently on my 1st ICSI cycle and hope we get a few blasties

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2nd Baby NSE- its different for everyone, we had 7 mature eggs collected, all 7 fertilised and made it to blastie stage, one was transferred fresh, one had some fragmentation and was discarded, the other 5 became our frosties.

Sinfonii- I think you need to look at the bigger picture here: you have 15 good embryos!! That is a whopping great result. Had you selected 100% natural fert, you may still only have had 15 good embies. Every egg and every sperm is different and IVF/ICSI is a process with no guarantees and no predictable outcomes. My DH and I had to use ICSI due to low sperm count, and we had a 100% fert rate, with only 1 embie not making it to the freezer. Since you had so many eggs collected, it is possible the quality of some of them was reduced and the embryologist may have selected these purposely for ICSI incase they may not have fertilised on their own.

Good luck to both of you for your cycles!