+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding, medication, and UTI.

I went to hospital ER recently because I had been having symptoms classed as shortness of breath and considered that it was possible that it might be my heart. It didn't seem urgent but I thought a GP wouldn't have the necessary equipment to investigate and would merely refer me to a hospital anyway. Therefore I waited until my children were settled in bed before going up.

To my surprize, even though there were five groups of people in the waiting room already, they took me straight through. I was given an ECG and a chest Xray which were both clear, and they did a urine test which came back indicating a UTI.

They bring out some antibiotics and I mention that I'm breastfeeding so they go away to check. No, not suitable for breastfeeding, so they see if they can find alternative medication. A little later the doctor returns and asks about the breastfeeding, "is it every day?". I explain that I've cut back to four times a day (approx 7am 1pm 7pm and 9:30pm). She suggests that if I take the antibiotics after the evening feed and dont feed bub in the morning, it should be fine for the 1pm feed.

So I go home at 4am with the bottle of antibiotics. Obviously it was too late to start them that day, so I feed bub as usual. That evening I was really tired (perhaps from staying up so late the night before) and just went to bed not thinking about the tabets. In the morning, since I hadn't taken the tablets I fed bub again as usual.

That evening, bub was really clingy and I had been feeling better so I thought I would give it another day. I didn't take the tablets, and as expected bub was really demanding her morning feed the next day.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. I don't seem to have any symptoms anymore, so I dont want to interrupt her feeds to take tablets that might not be necessary, and I'm not fully confident that the split-day option is sufficient to protect her. But I'm concerned if there is an infection I am unaware of getting worse what could it do. Should I go to the GP to get checked?

I really feel that the doctor in the hospital was really unsupportive of the breastfeeding and saw it as an inconvenience to her.

I also stopped feeding #6 early (at nine months) due to needing to take medication so don't want to go through that unecessarily. In that instance it wasn't unecessary as the safe medications were tried and failed first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go to the GP, they can usually check your urine right then and there as the infection may have cleared on its own.

There are lots of antibiotics that are safe to take when breastfeeding. I dont understand how they couldnt find a suitable one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you arent having bad symptoms ie. high temp, feeling unwell, constant and stinging on urinating i would not worry too much, you can also drink more fluids and try ural. Otherwise go to your gp, you should not have to alter your bf because some lazy doctor was to useless to find an ok drug...there are heaps of types that are fine.