+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Keratosis Pilaris

do you have it or know someone who does?
    can you share experiences?

i think i might have it and also my son.

"Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a very common skin disorder seen in many people of all ages. It is a benign condition that presents as numerous small, rough, red, or tan bumps primarily around hair follicles on the upper arms, legs, buttocks, and sometimes cheeks. KP creates a "goose bumps," "gooseflesh," or "chicken skin" appearance on the skin. A majority of people with KP may be unaware that the skin condition has a designated medical term or that it is treatable. In general, KP is often cosmetically displeasing but medically completely harmless. KP is frequently noted in otherwise healthy people." copied from http://www.medicinenet.com/keratosis...is/article.htm

do you have any treatment tips, trick or ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is yr bub? Have you been to a GP?

Because molluscum contagiosum looks so so similar to that, and is more common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I have this, my younger brothers also had it. My mum got 'eucerine' (you-sir-rene) from the chemist and there's cleared up. I've learnt to deal with mine, if you pick the bumps usually ul find a hair inside it. Eucerine is good if you use it everday after a shower..I don't have the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am fairly certain that's what I have as well as most of my family and about half the ppl I know. Not something I've though about sine noticing it in school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    havent been to the gp yet.

my son has it on his cheeks his arms and his legs but it doesn't bother him he is just rough to touch, i've had it on my arms since as long as i can remember and i actually scratch it cos it bothers me just being there, its not itchy, its just there.

the CHN brushed me off when i asked at my sons 6 month check she tried telling me it was just milk spots , but i've always been a bit unsure and it hasn't got worse, i just thought it would clear up after he'd finished teething but it hasn't.

so now we are trying to clear it up or make it better before making the trip to the gp which results in a 3 week wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I suffered from KP pretty badly in my teens (mainly on upper arms). The only thing that really worked at the time was gentle & consistent exfoliation with a tough loofah (almost like a pot scourer).

It cleared up a lot in my 20's, and now at 35 it's barely visible and not really a problem. I've found though that taking high dose fish oil helps a lot- I still get it some on my outer thighs and the combo of (gentle) exfoliation and daily fish oil keeps it under control.

If it's bad I'd try a dermatologist... they probably have better ideas about treatment now than when I was a teen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have this quite badly on my upper arms and thighs, and to a lesser extent on my butt. I have very dry skin at the best of times and also have discoid eczema (lucky me).

I've had it as long as I can remember and nothing I have ever done has ever gotten rid of it. Exfoliation can help, but it sometimes makes it bleed if done too vigorously. Apparently moisturisers with alpha-hydroxy can help, but I wouldn't be using that on a child.

It's not itchy or anything and it doesn't bother me, other than looking gross.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I have this as does my mum and my little sister.

I have it on my arms and thighs. It doesn't really bother me much anymore but I used to be really self concious of it when I was younger.

My doc recommended using a cream called 'Calmurid' but I am very slack with putting it on so I'm not sure whether it does anything or not.

I have personally found that mine gets worse through winter or when I exfoliate it. In summer after I have had a bit of sun, it looks alot better.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a cure, it's one of those things

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have done some more reserach and KP looks absolutely nothing like molluscum contagiosum, which is wart like things and is highly contagious. i will be asking the CHN again tomorrow and the gp when our appointment come around there is a 3 week wait to get in. but it isn't bothering him its just unsightly and looks bad.

thanks to all the lovely people who shared their experiences and treatment ideas, i will try them and see what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How Have you been in your Keratosis Pilaris?

How are you this time?

There is no general approach to treating Keratosis Pilaris. It always varies from one person to another. But the fact that the KP skins needs moisturizer, therefore everyone with the same skin condition should scavenge for an excellent product. For me, SR Lotion is an outstanding choice. Even when in doubt, I would highly recommend that you give it a go. I could surely understand the hesitation because I felt that way too. The best of luck. Hoping for a KP less world.

By the way, you can check out SR lotion at srlotion.com . It's better that you see it for yourself and make a decision.