+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry Severe Adverse Reaction to Maxalon and Horrible Hospital Experience, What now? - Rant

I'm 16 weeks and have lost 7kgs since getting pregnant (starting weight 67kg, so 10%+). It started to get easier after 13 weeks, I even began doing small amounts of housework again which was great, but the MS was still too bad to eat anything decent. I'd gone so far without drugs because of issues finding a doctor, and because I was able to keep fluids down. Last week though, I crashed, I had no nutrient stores left in my body, I felt frail and weak, I was having fainting/dizzy spells and had trouble keeping myself warm. So my husband and I decided it was time to do something more.

Our midwife, who we actually see for the first official appointment tomorow, suggested going into the hospital for an IV drip with some vitamins and nutrients in it to give me a boost, some of what I need. She also suggested trying some motion sickness tablets until my next appointment with her (the next week) as I had been having a lot of success with the motion sickness armbands already, and we would talk about something stronger then. This was Saturday, so we go into the QEII

When I get in they basically wouldn't take me seriously because I was able to drink. Apparently as long as you can keep water down and force half a vegemite sandwhich down during the 'best' part of the day there's no problem with you <_<. I asked about the drip and they said their drips only contain water and salt, they refused to give me anything with any real value to it. Water and salt was pointless as I can already have both those things. I mentioned anemia and she said I would be better waiting until my real doctor could do the test next week. She also knew with the doctor issues that the baby hadn't been checked in any way since week 8, and the first appointment with my doc/midwife would be in a weeks time, but she had no interest in doing an ultrasound or even checking the babys heartbeat, which I am still yet to hear. They were going to just discharge me, then the doctor who I believe was a student went to talk to her 'boss', who we could hear telling her off from our little room thing. She comes back, says she will hook me up to the water IV, give me some medication to try, and take blood and urine tests. She then tries to find my baby. At 15 weeks, that shouldn't be a problem right? Well it might be a problem if she starts looking at the base of your ribs... She was far from gentle, I hope she didn't actually hit the baby as she was squeezing hard (I have regular organ checks for another unrelated issue, so I have some idea how it's usually done. Not like she did it) In the end she said 'I think it's that there' and gave up. It's the size of a grapefruit at that point, how can she not find it?!

She then goes to hook me up to the IV. She can't find the vein and when she does she can't get it to stand enough. The band is on tight and shes rubbing and slapping and making me move my hands. I'm pretty sure slapping it harder does not make it rise faster. When it's FINALLY done she says 'thats the messiest one I've done yet'. There was a fair bit of blood. She then appeared suprised when she went to get the blood for the blood test out of the IV needle, but it had already begun thickening because so much was lost during the insertion, and took quite awhile to fill the needle. Then a trainee nurse comes in, along with her 'supervisor' who I don't think looked my way the entire time. I'm given maxalon through the IV, told I will be watched for the muscle spasms, which are the only side effects I've been told of so far, and then hooked up to water, (during which time she let the whole thing hang by it's own weight for a considerable amount of time, sitting at about a 20 degree angle, then moving and letting it sit again, piercing the vein in multiple places inside my hand) and told to go take a urine sample.

While taking the sample, what I now know was a reaction to the medication happened, and I had a huge anxiety attack. I've had them before, but never one like this. I assumed it was just being in the hospital under the care of someone who obviously didn't know as much as she pretended to. After getting back to my room I was ready to rip the IV out and run out the door, my husband was trying desperately to calm me down, no idea why I was this upset, as usually I cope extremely well with these sorts of circumstances. I remember the strange feeling of the IV fluid running in being amplified, and I was convinced something was wrong. I'm told that I am unusually self aware of both my mind and body, which sometimes is great. Right then though, not so great. Something was wrong and I should have listened to myself, but I didn't, because I put it down to paranoia.

Just to make matters worse, the head nurse (the only intelligent person I saw all day) came back from lunch to discover me hooked up, without the hospital gown on, which she had specifically told them to make sure I had. So we had to try and thread the bag through clothes and sleeves to get changed, during which process the IV actually came off and the needle almost came out! Not helped by the fact I felt like I was off my face. We were gentle, it was just a horrible attempt as the nurse herself told me. She redid it all, it no longer hurt or felt as weird, and was stuck by tape instead of being held by it but pulled down, however there was now blood and IV fluid in spatters all over the floor (seriously, it looked like someone had been stabbed, lots of drips of blood sprayed over the floor) Now would be a good time to mention my husband faints at the sight of his or my blood.

I told this nurse and I believe the doctor about the fact I was feeling very upset and panicy, neither of them thought anything of it.

Once the blood tests are almost processed, they THEN decide to send off my urine sample, so I ended up having to stay a fair bit longer than needed. No anemia thankfully, though they did find the beginings of a bladder infection. I'm then discharged with an (incorrectly written) perscription for maxalon and antibiotics (which I now have to take to medicare for a refund as I am a disability pension card holder, but they didn't bother marking that down)

Also, as a side note, I have some REALLY EPIC bleeding and 'bruising' where the IV was, they made such a mess of it... It's like 5 different colours across my whole hand. At least it's not swollen anymore.

The maxalon makes me feel completely unnauseous for the first time, when my stomach is EMPTY. It also makes me feel like I can eat anything. The problem is, as soon as anything enters my stomach I am more nauseous than I have been since 13 weeks, and trying to eat anything, even dry cereal, now makes me gag and wretch as opposed to just a little sick but able to force it down. Now the only way to not feel sick is to not eat, rather than eating every two hours which makes me feel terrible. Yeah, that worked... I also continue to have regular, though milder, anxiety attacks.

I look into this drug a bit further on tuesday night, and it was actuallly on this forum I found some people mentioning psychological side effects. Upon research, I make the connection, and get very ****ed off at the doctors for not making it back on saturday.

The stupid thing is, this could all have been prevented if they had not assumed I was an idiot. If a drug has possible psych side effects I am prone to exibiting them, I know that. It also appears this drug has some minor connection to another drug I took about a year ago and had a side effect to, but didn't mention in the 'allergy' section because it was not an alergic reaction. I also find out it shouldn't be used on people with a history of mental conditions, something they didn't even ask me about but I have. But they just told me 'we give this to lots of people, let us know if you have muscle spasms'. Plus, I asked the doctor specifically if it would help the nausea or just stop me from vomiting, as the vomiting is, again, less of an issue, I would be better off having an appetite and eating tiny amounts every hour then completely not wanting to eat, feeling ill, and just unable to chuck it up again. Doctor told me it helped both. I have since found nausea is actully listed as a possible side effect <_<

I also find out that some people can suffer withdrawl symptoms getting off it. I wasn't on it for long, most people wouldn't have an issue, but I am sensitive to it apparently, and the withdrawl symptoms mean that I spent half of yesterday in a very confused and almost 'high' state.

Before all this I had a nice little routine going, I knew what I had to do and when to make myself the least sick, and I only really got sick in the evenings these days, though I couldn't eat much it was improving, and I could even get up and do things between 11-3. Now the maxalon has sent it haywire, I woke up the illest I've ever felt in the morning yesterday morning, but the night wasn't too bad, though I was sick all day again. I'm having more trouble with fluids now than I was before.

It appears to be mostly out of my system this morning, I can mostly eat without gagging again, but my routine appears to be gone, and I'm back to where I started. The antibiotics probably aren't helping either, I finish the last of them today so after that it might settle down even more. I'm now trying travacalm original, a motion sickness pill. I think it's actually helping but it's hard to tell with everything else so out of wack. But it is horribly expensive, at $7 for a pack of 10 and taking 4 a day. I wish I could tell with more certainty what it's doing. I may possibly have a reaction to the antihystamine which is part of the travacalm, as I used to when I was young in higher doses, but I won't know untill everything else settles. If I am it dosen't seem to be severe though, just a little loopier than normal, which I can put up with, it's better than being depressed

I'm just so angry at the hospital. They should have picked this up at the begining, or if they couldn't they should have actually told me about what they were giving me, as soon as they mentioned anxiety as a possible side effect I would have told them not to even give it the first time as I know my body is very sensitive to anything like that.

End result is, I'm still as drained and weak as before, but now I'm nervous as well, and my morning sickness has taken one giant leap backwards. I still have no idea how my baby is doing. I see my midwife tomorow for my first real appointment though, so we should be able to sort some things out then.

Has anyone else had success with travacalm or motion sickness tabs as opposed to the anti nausea drugs? Like I said, the accupressure bands have helped hugely for me, so I wonder if there might be a connection.
    Has anyone else had a similar reaction to the maxalon? What can I expect over the next couple of days, when might it be fully out of my system?
    Do you guys think my morning sickness will settle into it's old routine or begin a new one after this?

Thanks for letting me rant... I hate hospitals so much right now. I told my husband, if that's how they treat me during morning sickness, there's no way I'm having my baby there, I doubt they would tell me anything they're doing! (we have been planning a homebirth)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness abba what a horrible experience for you!
    I have taken maxolon with both my pregnancies and it is the worst drug i have ever taken. I really dont know why I decided to take again this 2nd time around. It makes me restless, gives me diahorrea and this time I felt so so depressed. Im sure i felt sicker on it, every time i tried to eat after taking it i dry reached for ages. I felt better the very next day I stopped taking it. I was supposed to take 3 a day, one before each meal but i would never take them b4 dinner because it meant i couldnt sleep because of the restlessness so it may have been easier for me to ease off it.
    Oh and my GP never mentioned anything about side affects when he gave it to me, when i mentioned it, he just nodded and smiled and moved onto the next subject!
    Hopefully you will get back into that routine, I have a bit of a routine going myself right now but have had a bad headache for the past few days and has put my routine all out of wack so I am hoping once it goes i will settle back into it.
    I hope you feel better soon, morning sickness can be so depressing and it feels like it goes on forever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forget the 'it seems to be out of my system today' comment, I just had another bad attack. I hate doctors so much right now... I think I need to find someone to come over, alone mightn't be so good right now.

It made me very tired, not restless, but maybe it's the cause of the most recent diahorrea, I have IBS that ive been unable to take treatment for due to the morning sickness, but the past few days have been bad, even for me.

My body was on the verge of crashing last week, so I get a drug I cant handle and antibiotics... is it any suprise I feel like I'm dying now? So counter productive...

A few people say I should get on zofam, but right now I'm so scared of taking anything else to add onto the mess of chemicals in my body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same reaction to Maxolon! It gets worse with every thine thay have given it to me - To the point that I pulled out my drip and bit my tongue in panic.

I am so sorry you have had such a rough time with your MS - I too have the horror of never ending vomiting.
    This is my second pregnancy with Hyperemesis Gravidarum.

I am on zofran - You can get it on PBS if you have a health care card and you get a maximum of 4 tablets a script with no repeat.
    with a health care card it is 5.40 I think but with out it is is expensive.

I get 8 mg and split them in half to make them last longer.

Some DR's are not very happy to give it to you but if it stops the vomiting then it is worth it.

There is a website that you can view for HG - it gives you tips and a support group , Also they have plans and information for your dr.

Sometimes just getting on top of the nausea/vomiting and dehydration can get you on the road to recovery

http://www.helpher.org/

You are doing so well. I know how hard it is.
    The hospital was vile to you. I think that you can get home nursing for HG on medicare or at a small cost. Until 22 weeks. It depends on your state but I am sure it is available to you.
    They can re-hydrate you at home

If you are in WA - I think it is silverchain.
    http://www.silverchain.org.au/
    I am not sire of the other states but you could email, or call them for their sister programs

I hope I have helped a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just saw your other post - I have not had any problems with Zofran except constipation (TMI).

Zofran made life liveable for me - I almost died in my first pregnancy with HG - So much that they tried to push me to terminate my 14 week foetus.

I got a young OB and she put me on it with fluid therapy. It saved my life.

I understand if you don;t wish to try it esp after all you have been through.

I just hope the MS leaves soon and you can start enjoying your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DH has similar reactions to maxalon and stemitel. It's not nice watching him go through it all so I can only imagine what you're going through. DH now take zofran which is good for him but it can cause nasty headaches in some people and I'm sure there is a list of side effects that can happen too.

If the travelcalm is working then I'd stick to it. Also you can get the morning sickness tablets which are ginger and vitamin B6. Ginger is great for settling the tummy.

I hope it all calms down for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a seizure like reaction to maxalon called an oculogyric crisis........... scary as hell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maxalon is known to cause all sort of adverse reactions but I only found this out recently. I had the tablet once and felt very panicky it was horrible. I got so sick I was admitted in to hospital where they put MAxalon in my IV even though I had told them I did not want it as it made me feel "strange". I ended up having a seizure it was so frightening.
    Sorry to hear you have been through this I think it is shocking they don't tell people the risks of a reaction. Have had zofran which helped and only caused constipation. Maxalon apparently stops you vomiting where as zofran stops the nausea. Hope the sickness eases up for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That is terrible

I know the drip that your midwife mentioned is a glucose drip NOT a saline drip (the saline is salt/water). That should have been obvious to trained professionals though, what a terrible time.

Do you have the option to go elsewhere by any chance? I'm not sure where you are. I'd also suggest trying to find a doctor somewhere you can see and give all this history too, so they can handle your information properly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! I have a had a very similar reaction to maxolon just recently, I’m wondering if you can tell me if your aftermath of symptoms of anxiety attacks and hopleness went away eventually, I had nothing like this before I took the drug and a month later I am still struggling at times of the day. I guess I’m wondering if it will subside? I am seeing a naturopath, my GP etc and eating cleaner to try and rid my body of this but wanted to see, your reply would be so much appreciated