+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Hitting himself?

Hi everyone, DS is being a terror this morning, he doesnt know what he wants, breakfast no breakfast, cuddle no cuddle ect. So i have put him in his cot to have a sleep. But he stood up and is crying, i was just about to go and get him when i heard slapping noises, so i waited outside the door and when i heard them again i had a peek, he is hitting himself in the face Is this normal tantrum behaviour for a 2yo?? He has never done it before .

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 18 month old does this too but he's in a bed and will smack himself in the head/face or poke his eyes to keep himself awake, CHN said it will do more damage trying to stop him so i just let him go and he eventually falls asleep. she also said to check that his teeth and ears arent hurting sometimes hitting or smacking is a sign of pain or discomfort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son sometimes hits himself in the head.

It is generally when he wants us to do something, for example if he realises that we are walking home in the pram, he will gesticulate to go the other way and then start hitting himself.

He does it at home sometimes if he can't get what he wants.

we just say gently "don't hit yourself" and pick him up if he keeps doing it.

(he's 23 months)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was going to write a very similar post to OP this morning i am concerned to my little boy pulls his hair out by the handful, bites himslef, hits himself and the only thing my GP has said was it could be a nuerology thing talk to our peadiatrician bout it. which doesnt help our appt is next tuesday.

sorry just realised i dont have any answers but i have a similar situation i hope someone knoiws something bout it

ETA: my little boy is 21 months also does anyones child do it even when they arent chucking a tanty just for no reason mine does
    Last edited by mummy2j; 24-08-2010 at 14:45. Reason: ETA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes! My 16 month old does it.

Also if she doesnt get her own way, she will walk over to the wall , watching us the whole time, and bang her head on the wall..

Its so hard not to laugh. Its a frustration thing..

the baby version of:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS1 is 2.5yr old and he does it when he's tired or chucking a tanty! He also does it when he's being silly and mucking around. He's been doing it for ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son is two and two months and he has been hitting himself in the face for a few months. It happens when he is angry at not having got his own way. I believe its pretty normal at this age. I hate not seen him do it for a few weeks so I think he may be growing out it. Hope so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup. I have a 2 1/2 year old whose been doing it for ages. He finally seems to have stopped slamming his face into either the floor/doors/walls now, thank God.
    It doesn't matter how much we reassure him, if he wants attention (and usually, that's what it is), he WILL get it somehow :/ We've tried ignoring it (he's screamed for 20 minutes before, he gets to the point where he's calming down, then remembers he was upset, hits/throws himself on the ground/whacks his head into something and starts again...).
    Its not so much a neuro issue as a lack of communication issue - def in DS's case anyway - language delays suck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would guess its because he cant communicate what he actually wants yet. DD was a head banger for that very reason.

Could something else be up? Like sore teeth/ears/headache? Might be a possibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS hits himself when his frustrated & cant tell me what he wants or doesnt know.