Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep so right extraordinary I was shaken up for weeks after a similar thing with a newborn one year old and two yr old in car at shops. Very distressing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have called the cops if no parents could be seen. I'm another that calls if I just see dog in a car. Even then I hang around just to make sure everything is ok.

These days you never know who is lurking around. Sure the doors might be locked but I can break into my own car with Plastic Packing tape and I am definitely no car thief...

Re: parking- You can't always judge the way a person parks. I've squeezed into spots because of other 'bad' parkers and come back to the car when the others have gone and I look like I am the bad one...lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aldi have this bizarre policy where they won't give out specific store phone numbers and called their head office and they hardly cared at all and said sorrry we can't give you the store number. So i called local police and reported it (it was an hour ago now) and they are going to drive down to go and have a look and check the cra is gone.

I feel so sorry for children that are parented like that.
    The police officer said that if the mother/carer was in a distance close enough to see the car (returning the trolley or just inside the doors of the store) that is fine, but if she was shopping it is an offence.

hope thise kids are ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharoo View Post
    Re: parking- You can't always judge the way a person parks. I've squeezed into spots because of other 'bad' parkers and come back to the car when the others have gone and I look like I am the bad one...lol
    I agree, I paniced and I am the first to admit I was be jugdmental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would call 000.

I always have my mobile phone with me and if I saw a child THAT distressed in a locked car I would see that as an emergency and a valid reason to dial 000.

It breaks my heart that you had to see that and it breaks my heart that there are parents out there who still do that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would have waited long enough to ensure that the parent wasn't just returning a trolley, but since there was a 6yr old in the car I would probably have asked them if everything was OK and where their parent was.

Their reply would make a difference to whether I went into the store or called the police.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me give you another spin on things.

I went shopping on the weekend. I had DD(3) and DS(9) with me. Upon going through the checkout DD had THE BIGGEST tantrum due to not being allowed to get a toy she had seen.

I had to put her in her carseat whist I weas unpacking the trolley because she was trying to run back into the shop.

By the time I was ready to take the trolley back, DD looked like she had been screaming for hours.

I couldn't unbuckle her to take the trolley back as that would have spelt disaster!!

If someone had driven past at that point they probably would have thought she had been left for a long period of time.

So in the situation you were in, I would wait with the car for a minute or two, if nobody came back to the car within that time, I would go into the store and ask them to page the parents and call the police.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For the record.....a friend was in a similar situation a while ago, and she sat in her car waiting for parents to return, and after 40mins she called the police. They said there were no cars in the area, and by the time they turned up the parent would probably have returned anyway!!! Basically they didn't want to know. After my friend pushed them, they said a car that was 30mins away would come by and check after they finished what they were doing. Eventually (i think it was 2hrs after she found the kids - it was an underground carpark and not summer, so luckily no heat issues) the police turned up, went into the centre (its a smaller one) found the parent who came out with a shopping trolley full of stuff. They had just been shopping. The police didn't even appear to write down their details, so I doubt it was reported to DOC's - very sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, the parent may have been returning a trolley...I would have waited a bit to see what was going on, and if no one appeared, gone into the store and told them to announce it over the loudspeaker. I have smashed many car windows to get dogs out...it is against the law to abandon your children/pets in the car. They die in the heat. End of story...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be crucified for this but here goes...

I think the most likely situation is that the 2 yr old was having a massive tantrum and the mother couldn't deal with the very thought of taking him into the shop to get a bottle of milk and some bread, so she ran in. She probably ran in, got the stuff and watched the car from the checkouts (if its visible). I'll admit, I've done it, but not when they were that young.

If I were in your shoes (and it wasn't a hot day), I would've waited to see if the parent came out. If I was sitting there longer than about 5 mins I would've gone in and asked them to call out the rego.

Sorry but I wouldn't call the police unless I was still there 20 mins later and the mum/dad hadn't turned up.