ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thumbs down Approx 2y.o and 6y.o left in car? WWYD?

I was just at Aldi and when getting back into my car I noticed the car parked next to me had 2 children left in the back - the approx ages of 2 & 6. The 6y.o was sitting in car seat with biscuit and water and the 2y.o was on the window closest to me and turned to face me and was CRYING LIKE I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE - snot pouring into his mouth and his face covered in tears and possibly sweat from being so worked up. The 6y.o just sat there like it was no big deal (not that I would expect him to know what to do, but made me think maybe the 2y.o was just having a tantrum the 6y.o had just learned to ignore?)

WHAT SHOULD I HAVE DONE????

I feel terrible that I just drove away but I felt like I didn't know what to do and that it was none of my business.

It crossed my mind to walk back into the store and report it so maybethey could do an announcement over loud speaker to car owner, and also ringing the police crossed my mind. But in the end I felt like I would be causing a scene over nothing. But it wasn't nothing. The 2.y.o was beside himself with no mum or dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have gone back into the store or phoned the police. I called the police about a dog left in a car, I wouldn't have left two children there alone, especially one who was so worked up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have gone back into the store and reported it and asked for a call out to be made or have stayed with the car and got somebdoy else to go inside so you could have stayed with the distressed child. We all feel its none of our buisness sometimes but we also need to be an advecate for childrens safety at all times

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would have gone back into the store and reported it. Then I would have called the police (if the staff didn't).

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What You should do is what You feel is the right thing to do. We all make decisions based on that. (including the person who left their kids in the car.)

It's not judgment, it's reaction IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by india444 View Post
    I would have gone back into the store and reported it and asked for a call out to be made or have stayed with the car and got somebody else to go inside so you could have stayed with the distressed child. We all feel its none of our business sometimes but we also need to be an advocate for childrens safety at all times

And I personally would have suggested they call the police and if they didn't I would have.

Thanks
    Reviews

You panicked. I have done as well. Yes, you probably should have went back into the store at least but you panicked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could the parent have been returning the trolley?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummm...no question id have called the police and before attempting to take the kids out of ttthe car I would have told the operator what I was doing to cover my butt. No way would I leave them. Even if the mum was just ducking in thats not ok and she clearly couldnt even see them!

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    I would have gone back into the store and reported it. Then I would have called the police (if the staff didn't).

There are soooooo many times when it would be so nice to 'duck' into a shop and leave the kids there, but you just don't do it. In the rain, double pram with neewborn twins and 2yo and 4yo in tow - you know as a parent what is right and what is not.

Maybe something happened to the parent and the kids had/will be there for hours - too many what-ifs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast