+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day time naps for a nearly 3 year old

DD will be 3 in October and for the last few months has had barely any daytime naps. Maybe once a week she will go down for a sleep if she is exhausted, but will then be up too late at night (at least until 10pm) and will have a broken sleep that night. She consistently sleeps 8pm - 8am every night. I'm trying to bring this back to 7.30pm.

Some days she is fine without a nap, but other days will get to 4pm and she falls asleep in the car, or gets all dopey on the couch because she is so tired. Of course 4pm is waaaay too late for a day sleep.

I'm trying at the moment to get her into bed at 12.30pm and hopefully get her to sleep at 1 and then let her sleep for an hour or so. Is this right? What do other 3 year olds do for day time sleeps? She is in daycare twice a week and never sleeps there. Should I try for 2-3 weekly afternoon naps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lucas has a 2 hour nap from 1pm-3pm usually everyday unless we are out and busy then its no problem to miss it. Sometimes he will crash out in the car or on his beanbag so I just leave him to have a wee nap as he must need it.

He sleeps 8pm-8am regardless of whether he naps or not though and if he was waking during the night or going to be really late I would stop the naps altogether.

I think at this age they start to drop their naps and maybe have one once or twice a week when they really need one. If you force a nap you might be making it worse because your DD wont be tired enough to have a good sleep that night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD2 refused afternoon naps from about 2.5, but she was made to have quiet time for at least an hour where she played in her room quietly reading books or whatever.

My DS still had a 2 hour sleep right up to when he started prep!

I would be more inclined to go with quiet time, in her room for an hour or so. (i am pretty sure childcare makes them have quiet time if they wont sleep, so she should get the gist of it) Some days she may even fall to sleep

My DD3 sleeps maybe 4-5 days in a week, the other times she is a grumpy bum from 5 pm onwards. She is 2.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh also, DS is the only kid in the Kindy room at daycare that ever sleeps They let him go into the Toddler room and have a sleep there lol so I dont think its uncommon for 2-3 year olds to not have a sleep at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds was 3 in june. He hasnt napped since he was 2yrs and 3 months. Dd stopped naps at 11 months. She may have one once a fortnight to once a month if she is teething. They both go to bed quite early though usually at 5 to 6 pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd2 turned 3 in June, and went through a stage where I thought she was dropping her day naps. In the end I just put her to bed an hour later that I would normally. So, instead of 10am, she goes down at 11am, she usually plays for half an hour/hour then goes down for a sleep for a couple of hours. I usually wake her at 2 because I have to pick the older 2 up from school.

The days she doesnt nap, like today, she gets tired, irritable and moody by 2pm and just end up putting her to bed half an hour earlier than normal.

I would either put your dd down later than she is used to for her nap and see how you go, or just put her to bed earlier at night time. Might save her falling asleep so late in the afternoon.