+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question advice needed!! coping with uni, work and morning sickness

Hi everyone,

I am about 7 weeks pregnant and am experiencing MS to a considerable degree...feel nauseated throughout the day pretty badly;
    At the moment I'm studying 3 units at uni(which is supposedly full time) and working part time.

Essentially what i'm trying to decide is whether I should continue uni (this is my last semester) or defer..which is for 1 yr max..
    I guess the questions is, would it be easier to cope with my uni workload with an approximately 4 month old baby or should I try to plough through it somehow?
    Sounds like a silly question I know...but I feel sick quite a lot and have had to take days off work and uni during the last week...bit confused.

Any advice is appreciated,thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm.. tough one!

I don't have a 4 month old, so I can't comment on the difficulty of uni and work with a bub, but I can say I deferred uni and I kind of wish I had kept going and got another semester out of the way while I was pregnant. Especially since you're so close to finishing!

Have you tried anything for the morning sickness? Ginger and vit B6 worked a bit for me, I had moderate success using Sea Bands. When it got a bit too much I went to the doctor and got a prescription medication for the nausea. My morning sickness ended around 11 weeks, hopefully yours will finish soon too.

Only you know how much you can cope with at this point, and you have to do what's best for you and your body, but I'd be inclined to do the last semester now and get it out of the way. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was in exactly this position 2 years ago - except I already had one child (not sure if you do?)

My pelvis went really bad at 5 mths so I quit work and continued uni.

I've kept going with uni through the birth of that baby and another one 14 mths later, and am now 5 mth pregnant with my 4th child and 6 more subjects to do.

I changed to off campus uni - doing subjects through OUA that are offered by my own uni - I have to fill out a form to get them credited towards my record. If that makes sense? Going on campus wasn't feasible.

Anyway.. if you feel fairly confident with uni, it is at least something you can do at home with your baby (sort of) and will hopefully get you somewhere in the future.

Note - most people do not advise or attempt uni with a baby. It really depends on how much you want it. Def possible though. I think because so many people *don't* do anything else when they have a baby, it becomes really easy to just think 'oh this is too hard, nobody else does uni with a baby, I'm going to chuck it in'.

If this is your last semester - can you give up work? If not, maybe drop 2 subjects and keep going with one. Then see if you can do the rest off campus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a hard one. If it's your last semester then try for another couple of weeks to stick it out if you can ... when do you have to pull out to stop paying HECS (it's in a week or so isn't it?).

I had horrid morning sickness too & worked full time over an hour from home. I gave up at 8 weeks and went onto maxolon and it made everything that little bit more manageable. It was still hard though and I only felt marginally better by 13 weeks and I couldn't come off maxolon til nearly 20 weeks, but I wasn't vomiting anymore.

If you can get to 12 weeks things will definitely start to improve then. So, if you can stop working or reduce your work hours for the next few weeks & start trying stuff for your nausea (B6, ginger, maxolon, etc) then you might just get through.

The good news is by the end of semester you should be feeling great!

I was so thrilled to just be at home with my ds when he was little. The thought of mixing study (which I finished when I was 13 weeks pregnant) & a young baby was not pleasant. I'd mix pregnancy & study any day in comparison.

Thanks
    Reviews
    note - I've been 7 weeks pregnant and studying 4 times now and EVERY TIME I think I can not do this, my brain is mush, I feel like crap, I have to chuck it in. I always started feeling better after a few weeks and hopefully you will too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedmoseby123 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am about 7 weeks pregnant and am experiencing MS to a considerable degree...feel nauseated throughout the day pretty badly;
    At the moment I'm studying 3 units at uni(which is supposedly full time) and working part time.

Essentially what i'm trying to decide is whether I should continue uni (this is my last semester) or defer..which is for 1 yr max..
    I guess the questions is, would it be easier to cope with my uni workload with an approximately 4 month old baby or should I try to plough through it somehow?
    Sounds like a silly question I know...but I feel sick quite a lot and have had to take days off work and uni during the last week...bit confused.

Any advice is appreciated,thanks!

Hey there,

I was in the same position as you last year, and I was only doing 1 subject per semester!
    I had really bad MS.. nausea from 6am till I fell asleep at night... Wasn't very nice (but the baby at the end of it makes up for it!)

Anyways I deferred study for a year. Im now on mat leave and trying to do 2 subjects with a 7 month old and to be honest I do struggle with uni/being a mum/cleaning house/cooking. My hubby helps but his job is pretty full on. I do have my mum who comes over to babysit whilst I try and do my assignments but its still pretty tough. He woke up 4 times last night and Im knackered, but I should start working on my assignment now - but I have to also express some milk in 1/2 an hour!

I still think its easier to do now that it was whilst I was pregnant, at least I dont feel ill all the time.. but ask me again when I get my results back.. if I fail I will be totally over it!

Good luck with your decision and the pregancy!
    Last edited by misho; 16-08-2010 at 20:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi There, i understand this dilemma as i was in this position a year ago - except that i already a 1year old and a 4 year old... i was (and still am) a full time uni student doing 4 units per semester - i then feel pregnant again and didnt know what to do. I decided to continue with uni - through the morning sickness and DS2 was due just before exams .. I took exactly 2weeks off uni studied for exams and went back.. my lecturers knew what was happening (belly made it pretty obvious) and so i was given "special consideration" meaning i could sit hand in assignments a little later than the rest of the class.. Made no difference however at exam time.. speak to your professor's, speak to the uni, and try to keep going if you can, especially as you are so close to the end.. Sometimes we are capable of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for..
    Also as i am still a full time student (with 3 little ones) it is much harder, as you will still be tired and just have so much more work to do and more distraction.. As i just have to stop whatever im doing for extra snuggle time with my babies...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you put off the decision for a little while and wait for the 12 week mark to pass?? I had terrible migranes almost continually for my first trimester which meant that my uni supervisors were the first people to find out I was pregnant!! (too hard to keep a secret when you can't function or do any work). I took some time off and reduced my work load during this time but went back to full time study once the first trimester had passed and the migranes (thankfully) reduced in frequency. I now have a 4 month old and although I am not formally back at uni until next year, I am just starting to be able to fit in a little bit of study every now and then. I certainly wouldn't be able to manage full time study at the moment though. So, if possible, I would talk to your uni lecturers/supervisors and see if you can work out something that involves temporarily reducing your workload for a little while until you can see if the morning sickness passes....Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, thank you so much to each and everyone who replied and I'm sorry about the late reply..

Albear and mim1,
    my doctor prescribed maxolon but it doesn't seem to be doing anything except making me drowsy..
    I'm surviving on ginger tea and crackers..maybe I should try the wristbands..thank you for being so positive...sometimes its just good to know you're not alone

Mrs Nietzsche and gggmama,
    unfortunately the units I'm doing aren't available online but at least I guess I should speak to my tutors and make them aware of the real situation...they're bound to find out sooner or later anyway.. It's definitely inspiring to hear that you continued uni during your pregnancy/with kids...thank you ladies;

Misho, thanks for the insight...I'm soo looking forward to actually seeing the new little person in my life I can only imagine how challenging it's gonna be to juggle everthing after bub arrives...then again, you're right; at least I wont be feeling sick all the time...so many different angles to look at;

max935, 12 weeks for me would be around mid september and last date for withdrawal from uni is august 31...i guess all i can do is talk to my tutors and see what they say.. or maybe cut back on work hours as i've already taken so many sick days these last couple of weeks..
    hopefully the MS will settle down and everything goes smoothly..

thanks again ladies..have a lovely day <3