+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JellybeanInc is offline Ready and waiting for the learning curve
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Blood pressure - what's normal?

I'm currently waiting on some test results, due Wednesday, to see if I have pre eclampsia (joys of a small town - 2 days not 2 hours for results!)

While we're waiting for detailed blood and urine analysis the doc has me coming in for blood pressure and urine dip stick tests. Today protien was at +1 and my BP was at 120/75. Normally my BP is 100/60 (both prior to pregnancy and in the early stages). The doc just said "BP is normal". But can any of you ladies tell me if that is normal based on what I usually am? It seems a bit of a jump to me.

I wish my midwife wasn't away on holidays! She's the only one in town, so I'm stuck with this GP

TIA!

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wish my BP was that low. That is fine IMO. It's hard to say what is 'normal' as you will find a variance in recommended acceptable levels - it seems to change and what one Dr thinks is ok another may be more cautious about.

I'm having a 24 hour monitor test on Wednesday and think I will be on meds after that. I have tried Chinese Medicine, but hereditary factors mean even that can't do all I need it to. (mine is currently round 145/85-90)

BTW, I'm not pregnant, just commenting from my current perspective but I had PE with my first and my BP was hideously high in labour.

Opps, ETA - don't stress about it? OK? *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no idea if that BP is okay or not, but my BP is also never higher than 100/60 - usually more like 90/50. So if mine was 120/75 I'd be questioning if that's really okay. But that said, I don't know much about blood pressure to start with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the generic standard is 120/80. During my first preg mine was 110/70 the whole way and then 120/80 with DD. I have found I tend to get BP anxiety and as soon as they say they are going to take it, I feel my heart racing and pounding! Apparently it's a 'proven' thing that happens to some people! I had no idea.

Anyway I did mention it to my GP when he took it and he just said 'not with me, you won't' and I didn't lol

Anyway I was looking into it and it's somewhat age-based with what constitutes 'high' BP, and it revolves more around the bottom number being 90-95 and higher. I had one reading that was something /91 and that was borderline for my age - the next time it was /89 and they were fine with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While 120/75 is not technically 'high' blood pressure, a significant increase is cause for concern (btw not sure if that is technically significant), but they are probably more concerned about the protein in the urine.

My Dr. didnt become concerned about my BP until it got to 140/90. But I was 41 weeks at that point without protein so was technically 'pregnancy induced hypertension'

Good luck, i hope the results come back favourable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mimsie View Post
    I think the generic standard is 120/80. During my first preg mine was 110/70 the whole way and then 120/80 with DD. I have found I tend to get BP anxiety and as soon as they say they are going to take it, I feel my heart racing and pounding! Apparently it's a 'proven' thing that happens to some people! I had no idea.
    That's fascinating! I reckon my blood pressure has been higher this pregnancy than ever before because I have to wait so long in the blinking clinic before I get to see the doc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd just like to say I hate those machines, every time they use them I get like hickeys on my arm! lolol

Yeah it is weird - I don't feel anxious about it, I don't care about them taking it, but I just notice my heart pounding out of my chest as soon as they reach for the machine! I was really impressed that it didn't happen when my doctor said no it won't though, that was weird.

I think as well as the others have said it'll take into account your other symptoms. I had protein in both of my pregnancies but no raise in BP or other symptoms, so it was never a consideration. In yours, I'd say the same - they will use the range of symptoms to decide on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus_Lime & Vodka on the rocks View Post
    often would see patients where it "increases," above the range that you mentioned. Do you have any symptoms of pre-eclampsia that would cause you concern? Also, are you using a machine, or manual cuff?
    The readings have all been taken by machine, by people who know how to use them (one assumes!!)

Th reason this all started was on Saturday I puffed up like a blow fish - hands, face and feet, and came down with a throbbing headache that Panadol didn't help. I dropped into the hospital where they found protien in my urine. They did a BP test then, and just said "it's normal" and I didn't think to ask what the figures were. Based on the fact that BP was ok they decided to keep me in town and not fly me out, and wait for more detailed tests to be done on Monday (which I went and did), with results available Wednesday. Doc had me in today just to check the BP and urine again.

It wasn't until I looked back at my notes and found what my BP usually was that I started wondering if what's normal for most people might be high for me, because mine seems to sit around the lower end of 'normal'. I thought that combined with the other symptoms they might be a bit concerned, but they seem happy to wait it out.

Thanks for your replies ladies It helps to know what everyone else has done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i'll watch this - my BP was 130/70 today and it's usually 100/60 or 110/60 - all my MW said was it was 'normal' but i'm swelling sooo much in my feet - so I don't think it's my normal KWIM? He didn't seem concerned or want to order any tests either :S.

I hope your tests come back ok!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad I'm not the only one Brid! I'll let you know what they come back with, but I must say I feel kinda 'bleh'. Here's hoping you get the answers you need too!