+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question can't eat deli meat?

hi,

I was just reading that you can't have "Deli" meats when pregnant, does that include sliced meats like ham and chicken that I buy from the deli section of bi-lo and coles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first pregnancy I cut out salami, mettwurst, things like that. Then when I got pregnant with DS my MW just happened to mention that I shouldn't really eat ham, silverside, etc.

It's about the risk of listeria. Eating that kind of meat, there is always a risk of listeria for everyone. But if you get listeria while pregnant, it can be very bad for bubba. You might not even realise you've had it, might just feel a bit off colour for a day or two, but it can affect the foetus.

Ideally you should avoid it, but it's all about risk assessment and how you feel about those risks. I ate ham during DS's pregnancy, I would cook it (which does kill off any bacteria) eg ham and cheese toasted sandwich, or home-made ham and pineapple pizza.

And CONGRATULATIONS on the BFP!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not really sure about this one....

But i have had slices ham a few times.... i couldnt resist...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Listeria is a bacteria that has been found on cold sliced meats such as ham, salami, chicken loaf, silverside etc, (basically all cold deli meats) it has also been found on cold cooked seafoods so you should also avoid cooked prawns & crabs, etc, soft cheeses such as camembret (sp?) & brie, cold chicken that you get in sandwich shops should be avoided & pre prepared salads should be avoided too.
    As The Queen mentioned listeria isnt that harmful to us but if contracted during PG it can potentially cause defects to the foetus, M/C & stillbirth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I eat ham - I just buy ham that is in sealed containers from the supermarket or sliced fresh from the market and make sure that I eat it that day!!!

I LOVE salami - so I have been putting that on my pizza and making sure that its steaming hot!!! yummo!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow ok thanks guys. I am working fulltime and always have a ham sandwich for lunch. What do you eat/recommend for a sandwich instead? Toasted is a good idea but I can't have a toastie every day.

Bron is offline Accentuate the positive
    WINNER 2006 Most Politically Correct Member
    Winner 2007 & 2008 Funniest member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Best work sandwich? Easy one.

Multigrain roll, spread with avocado rather than butter. Swiss cheese, tomato, grated carrot (and any other salad-y numbers that rock your world).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Salmon & salad, egg, curried egg, vegemite & avo (yummo!), cheese & tom, cheese & salad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also soft boiled eggs are a no-no too, it's ok to have them if hard boiled.

Watch out for those open salad bars/smorgasboards too. Anything on it that is served cold is a no-no, eg creamy salads, cold meats and fresh seafood (all the foods I love )
    Soft serve ice cream (like the kind from Maccas) is also a no-no. And also any cold foods from the supermarket deli and food courts, including sandwich bars and sushi.

It's very hard isn't it? I go to the shops and think... bugga, what on earth can I have for lunch? lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a naughty girl then, with all 4 I still ate cold meats, I just asked for it to be cut fresh, not getting the stuff left in the window.
    I did stay away from pate though, but still had soft serve ice cream Um Maaaaaaa & brie cheese.