ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cost of surrogacy in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by sophie11 View Post
    Also you forgot all the IVF costing to actually get your surro pregnant, I do know that the clinic we went through was $4000 for a cycle...and still $1000 for a cancelled cycle. Then you have the EP, implantation, etc etc...

the public hospital is the least of your worries, I believe you are missing a massive financial chunk. Plus you need to get a lawyer that actually KNOWS the laws for that particular state in surrogacy and believe me, a lot don't...
    This is an important point. Ivf even with fertile people can take a few cycles to be successful, id be allowing at least 10k to buffer yourself. You'll prob actually need more than this upfront and will then get some rebated through Medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also just an FYI, if you're considering international surrogacy then sadly I heard that India changed their laws last week and it means now that :
    1) Couples must be married for a specific amount of time before applying;and
    2) India will recognize that if it is illegal to do surrogacy in the couples home country then they will uphold that same law (meaning it will not be available to couples, same sex or otherwise, essentially from Australia.)

I know this is a little off the track but I know someone currently doing it and they made it into the process before the cutoffs so thought I'd pass on the info.

I believe the costs associated with surrogacy in India if you were to go overseas are around $25k (which most medical, incl IVF) plus the trip to collect the child and the paperwork there (+greasing some local legal hands) to adopt the child and get their passport.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TDMDB View Post
    We are looking at draughting our own going to solicitor n say heres our contract stamp it. (less time, less money) but hav to look into that.
    :
    I had a friend looking into surrogacy. Can you really draft your own contract ? From what she found, the ivf clinic sets their own quite strict guidelines as to what is needed from a legal point of view, you might be quite limited to what they will agree to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Clemintine Grace,

Yes, our lawyer said they incourage this as it is not party against party they want us to draft a contract that includes our wishes and how we want things to go then they will fine tune it. I am lucky I have solisitor friends that can make it look and sound a little more legal and require less time fine tuning.

Hi Sophie 11,
    Wow, nope I didn't think of that. You would think as with surogacy the child is legaly transfered to the IPs and they are legal parents that as the GC has no legal right to the child it would make sence that the surro child would not have legal rights in return. I will make sure that is included. Thanks for the info

You also need to be aware of state law as in QLD it is ilegal to pay for GC in or out of the country, you would have issues with the commercial side of it and be breaking the law.

Good luck