+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Cost of surrogacy in Australia?

Will someone that has personal experience of using a surrogate in Australia give me a figure on the total costs, please? Not the FS & IVF fees as I will get those from the clinic.

What I am needing is the out of pocket expenses for medical (doctor visits for the surrogate, ultrasounds, etc) that is not covered by Medicare, clothing, food, legal fees and anything else that you, the IP, had to pay for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    guess it all depends on surrogates preferences and budget you both agree on

public v private of course will make a huge difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are there financial advantages of using private insurance? Doesn't Medicare cover the entire costs of medical during pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonBreeze View Post
    Doesn't Medicare cover the entire costs of medical during pregnancy?
    Are you joking Medicare is useless esp if you want to go private and have a choice in your care providers and use an OB

ob management fees are really expensive we are out of pocket around $4k but its well worth it for private care and knowing who will be delivering our baby

public system is fine used it before but if I was to be a surrogate I would be going with the best available care

no real financial advantages for having PHI but I would not want to be going private without it, covers all hospital fees and ob fees whilst in hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this article in the archives and it answers my question on the medical part.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...hp/t-3819.html

The women that went public would do it again. My SIL went public with both of hers and she also had great care and no regrets.

I used public when I had my hysterectomy last year and I was in great hands. No complaints from me at all.

Did anyone go to a lawyer and have contracts made up? I read somewhere that no courts in Australia will honour the contracts. So, I don't see the need for that. But, I do see the need to have everything written out that is agreed upon between the two parties. Just for reference sake.

I guess, the only time you need to pay for legal fees is after the birth when you need to officially adopt the child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been advised that once IVF is complete everything including pregnancy test can b done as normal pregnancy n u can use public system n Medicare / bulk billing, including birth (that's the way we are planning on going).
    As for legal side ur right no matter how much money u spend even with an iron clad contract it CAN NOT be enforced (in QLD) n either party can pull out. Surrogate can keep baby or intended parents can refuse to take baby.
    I totaly agree 'what's the point' problem is u can't have a parenting order made n have ur names place on birth certificate n therefore hav no legal rights regarding that child!
    I think its just a way for courts greedy judges n even greedier lawyers/solicitors to make more money but u have to jump through their hoops.
    We are looking at draughting our own going to solicitor n say heres our contract stamp it. (less time, less money) but hav to look into that.
    Also our surrogate is our close friend n she has already told us once the baby is born its going to its parents n when they give her the birth certificate forms she will b lodging them with our names as the parents. (she is determined little thing, god luv her). So again need to follow up with what spaner that will through in the works.
    If u outline every detail, IVF treatment, company, number of cycles and breaks, medical Dr tests etc, phyc Dr n tests, hospital, what u agree are associated costs e.g transport, clothing, day care, loss wages, vitamins that stuff, birth medical intervention e.g. if required c section n drugs u shud b able to nut it all out, then take that to ur solicitor n say we want surrogate contact lodged n hand it ovr.
    But u can't get a cost from fertility centres or legal without consult n they all charge for that anyway so pic 2 or 3 places n speak to them then decide.
    Sorry for long response but hope it helps

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TDMDB For This Useful Post:

delbelle  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    YES seriously!!!!!!!!!!!
    I spoke to a lovely lawyer lady yesterday who advised she was one of a number who were involved in creating this.
    As someone who is involved in legislation, most politicians can't make a move without being told what and how ot do it. They can't create or amend legislation without first getting legal input and they surely don't have a clue to the court system and what would be required to met, make or submit legal applicatoins.
    So yes they had a hand in it at some point in time. It may not be the lovely ones that we deal with and that think it is rediculous but there were all sorts of legal people involved.

Law practices and solisitors also have a hand in setting their rates don't they?
    Last edited by TDMDB; 22-01-2013 at 15:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually my comment was non discriptive. Which obviously has caused the issue.

It was however NOT directed to the lawyers and judges that most of us interact with and merly have to follow the decisions of others, rather to the ones who where involved in the process creation. If anyone has taken it as such then that was their missinterpritation not my intention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyhoo Moonbreeze,

Here is the break down of a quote I was provided with:
    $700 to lodge a claim with the court
    $92 to lodge parenting order with Births Deaths and Marriages
    $78 for 2 birth certificates (1 original, 1 with new parents)
    approx $3,500-$5,000 for Phyc reports
    the remainder of the cost is legal (lawyer fees) there are 15 documents that need to be filled. I was quoted approx $15,000 - $18,000 for the whole process.
    This I am told is a good quote.

This does not include any surrogacy costs such as Dr, OBG, Scans, Tests, Birth, Travel, Clothing etc.

We are very very lucky our mutal close friend is our surrogate, we are going public once pregnancy is confirmed. There are no other costs for us

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plus you need to get a lawyer that actually KNOWS the laws for that particular state in surrogacy and believe me, a lot don't...my IP deals in law and QLD actually has the best lawyer for surrogacy actually...he knowseverything about most states. Will see if I can find his name it escapes me ATM, but he is who my IM contacted.

i wouldn't be involved in a surrogacy if the legals were not 100% either, also with the relinquishing of the baby to its parents....there are different ways of this too...please do your homework thoroughly and talk to a few more people in the know not just a forum.

I have read a lot of bullsh*t in this section of the forum. And somtimes sit here shaking my head at what I read and what people believe.

I do know each state is very very different , but try talking to someone that has done it all before (mummaof4crazies) she will know what is fact and what is fiction.

the bottom line is:

*surrogacy is NOT a quick fix..it has taken ME and my IP's two ish years to get to here where I am pregnant.

* Surrogacy won't be cheap even though there is no compensation fees like OS

* Don't cut corners to such as legals, you DO need them, no matter how close you and your surro are, protect BOTH of you and your families in the future..(ie, so a surro child cannot come and claim his surro mums bio kids inheritance - didn't think of that one did ya? Neither did I but it made sense!) wills etc..

* getting pregnant with surrogacy can take as long as normal IVF...it dosnt just magically happen.
    Last edited by sophie11; 30-01-2013 at 19:28.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sophie11 For This Useful Post:

delbelle  (18-02-2013)