+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Silly for quitting a school-hours job?

A spin-off from one of my previous threads (still got 1000 thoughts running through my head...sorry).

Would you quit a school hours job if you didn't like it?

I just know that these jobs seem quite scarce (school hours, 9am til 2pm), so would I be silly to throw it in?

My youngest is 3 and starts Prep in 2012....my heart says to quit, but my head says I'd be stupid to throw away something that will really suit in 18 months time (if I can just hang in there)...oh I really just dunno

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well it might suit you in 18 months time, but will you like it any better then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd hold onto it. As you said they are really hard to come by.

Maybe hold onto it and look for something else?

Or if you are really miserable.....chuck it in.

I was no help really was I?

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    18 months is a long time, especially when you have little kids - they do so much growing in that time.

if you're not dependent on the money - go with your heart. you'll never regret the time you spend with your kids, but one day you might regret staying with a job just so you had one further down the line. yes, school hours jobs are a bit scarce, but cross that bridge when you come to it...it's still a while off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewid View Post
    18 months is a long time, especially when you have little kids - they do so much growing in that time.

if you're not dependent on the money - go with your heart. you'll never regret the time you spend with your kids, but one day you might regret staying with a job just so you had one further down the line. yes, school hours jobs are a bit scarce, but cross that bridge when you come to it...it's still a while off.
    I agree School hours jobs are scarce but so is time with your little ones

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies.

Its been weighing on my mind for quite some time now. Such big decisions we have to make as parents.

I also have a casual job in retail 5 hours/week on a weekend, so its not like I won't have any job at all. I just can't get the feeling out of my head that when DS starts school (and if I don't come across another job) I'll be thinking "why did I quit".

But as a PP said, will I like the job any more then, and I know I won't (I'm a cashier in a very very small bank, which means I am on the lowest of pays possible, but need to know everything, I feel like a branch manager but on $18 per hour )..so much responsibility.

And the point about kids only being young once is so true too. He is already 3, where did the time go. I'd have so much quality time with him for the next 18 or so months before Prep starts if I did resign. That brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. He's a lovely boy (most days!).