+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 12 week Downs Syndrome Ultra Sound

Hello,

I am a NZer moving to Auz and will need to have my 12 week downs syndrome scan over there and anything else they normally check for at 12 weeks.

Does the 12 weeks scan cost or is this covered with a Medicare card? If so how much does it cost and can you recover any back?
    Do all the standard scans cost or are some free with the maternity care you recieve?

not sure what to expect as my doctor here told me to let him know what the cost was, meaning it could be quite high??

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since I was hoping to do all my scans through medicare, I'm a few weeks off the 12 week scan but I was told it is the only scan which will cost. I would assume the normal scan are anywhere from $100-$200 but i'm sure some of that you will get back from Medicare. I'm only assuming though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    when i had my 12 week scan i only had to pay $30 upfront. its only about $90 altogether, some places make you pay upfront than you get your money back and others will only make you pay the minimum and than medicare sends you a cheque to send to the place you got your ultrasound at. my 19 week scan i didn't have to pay for. hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 12 week NT was 150$ and I couldn't claim it on Medicare coz I'm under 35. (considered low risk)
    I almost had to pay for my morph but they started to bulk bill a week before I had mine... They'll tell you about fees when you call to book it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where are you moving to? There's a place on the Gold Coast which bulk bills so it doesn't cost anything. Ask your GP if he knows of anywhere near where you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't pay for mine. I am under 35 and had a referral from my Dr and I wasn't sure if I'd need to pay, but they said no when it was done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had my first 2 kids I had everything (incl. ultrasounds) done through the hospital and it never cost me a cent. This time around though I was referred for my ultrasounds by my obstetrician and they've both cost me around $90 after Medicare rebate. As for not getting a rebate because you're under 35 - I'd seriously question that. My NT was done at 13 weeks and I got a rebate and I'm only 30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends where you live.
    Where I live if you choose to have the 12 week NT test but not high risk (under 35) then it is not claimable through medicare.
    I am 30 but this time around was referred by my Ob and classed as high risk so I think I got back around $80 of the total $130 cost.
    I guess its best to ring around at get "quotes" first so you know what you may be out of pocket.
    Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was $200 and I get $90 back from Medicare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends where you get it done. I was in a high risk group but it cost about 120 before claiming but that was because I wanted it done at a place that only did pregnancy scans as the equipment was better than the cheaper places. You can go to a bulk billing place but they are not in all areas.