+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default North West Hospital & Dr Tuicolo

Hi all,

I'm 11 weeks and am booked into North West with Dr Tuicolo. I just wondering if there was anyone who had recently given birth at North West and / or had Dr Tuicolo.

This is my first pregnancy and am quite clueless about all of this. I would much prefer to have a vaginal birth and the least amount of drugs possible but am not set on having a 'natural' birth. I also really want to breastfeed and want as much help as possible to achieve this.

I have genetic arthritis which doesn't respond well to other types of pain or medication so really want DH to stick around for as long as possible after the birth in case I'm in a lot of pain from the arthritis. Do you think that would be possible?

Thanks in advance for your replies. Its really appreciated!

dillydAlly is offline --> The most precious princess in all the land :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there

I don't have "personal" experience with Dr Tui but I have 3 close girlfriends who have gone with him and therefore gone through North West.......

As far as I have heard, he is LOVELY!!!! They have each had 3 children through him so he must be doing something well

They have each had different births including VBAC's and Ceaser's... He is VERY supportive of both methods and advocates for what YOU want.... Be warned though the hospital prefer you not to labour at home so be prepared......

I am quite sure Dr Tui will be welcoming of all your individual needs!!!

North West is a lovely little hospital, parking is free and the staff are wonderful! There are no "shared" rooms and no "shared" bathrooms so that is a plus!

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks dillydAlly for your really fast response and for sharing such positives about Dr and NW. That really has put my mind at ease. I don't see him for another 2 weeks and just started to get panic-y about whether or not I had made the right choice. And of course it would be too late to change after I've seen him at 13 weeks.

Thanks again! And good luck with your DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi assenav - you would have seen Dr Tuicolo by now but I just wanted to let you know I am currently at 40 weeks, 5 days with my first bub and have seen Dr Tuicolo throughout my pregnancy. He has been great with any questions I've had throughout. I remember at my first appointment he is very encouraging of natural births and said while he doesn't like you to be zombied out on drugs during the birth he wouldn't let you climb the walls in agony if you needed something also which is what I'm hoping for, maybe only gas if needed.
    The hospital also seems very good - fathers welcome at any time of the day or night at the hospital which I really liked also (they can stay overnight with you if you have your own room). We did the hospital tour at about 25 weeks and did the hospital antenatal classes at about 27 weeks which we found was really helpful also.
    As bub seems to be in no hurry at all to come out Dr Tuicolo has just booked us in for an induction on Monday 16th as he said he prefers to start on about the 7th day if you go overdue just so he doesn't have to rush anything. I think some dr's wait until the full 10 -14 days before they start something.
    If you have any questions let me know - as by this time next week DH & I will be first time parents so I can let you know how everything goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, interested to see how your guys went with NW and Dr Tuicolo. We are planning on bub #2 now and I am tossing up between Dr Tuicolo at NW or Dr Hill at Wesley.

A friend of mine has just had her first baby at NW and I wasn't very impressed with the services. She was induced and ended up quickly having a c-section, and the bub, although a big boy, was put on formula top up feeds at only 2 days old...
    I haven't had an indepth chat with her yet, so am jumping to conclusions, but not really impressed with NW from the outside view.

First bub was a great experience (but in Perth), great delivery, breastfeeding, etc - definitely want a epidural next time and not a Dr that isn't forthcoming with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I had my first at NW with Dr Tuicolo He was lovely, very happy with him. A friend of mine had her first at NW and ended up having Dr Tuicolo as her ob was on a weekend off, and she liked him so much she decided to have him for her ob with her next bub.

NW is a lovely little hospital, rooms are great, very private, queen size beds and dad's are encouraged to stay. It was very busy when I was there, but that can happen at any hospital I guess.

Some of the midwifes weren't very nice, some were just fabulous. Again, that probably happens most places as well.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi littlelew - I ended up being induced 8 days after the due date as bub seemed quite content where he was and I was very uncomfortable. Dr Tuicolo was great. Went to the hospital on a monday night at 6pm to start the induction - contractions started at 2am that night and was 4cm dialated at 8am tuesday morning. After trying everything to get things moving along (midwives were really lovely) at 8.30pm Tuesday night I was still only 4-5cm and as my waters were broken that morning we opted for a c-section as bub was still obviously having a great time staying inside. So a c-section was really the last option and after being at the hospital for 26 hours I think we gave it a good go before having to consider it. Dr Tuicolo did an awesome surgery and I have the smallest and thinnest of scars.
    The only thing we were slightly disappointed about was for 2 days we were in the general ward upstairs sharing as they were so many babies born the week we were there it wasn't funny!! I liked Dr Tuicolo as he never made you feel like an idiot despite any question you had and we will definately be going back to him for our next bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to NWPH and apart from one Ob (not mine and not Dr Tui) I could not fault them. I was in high care and the staff were amazing. They are very pro-breastfeeding, and will not give formula unless you or the babies father signs a consent form. The rooms are nice, but don't be fooled - there are many shared rooms, and if it is busy then you will be in a shared room until a single room becomes available.
    Free parking on-site is a real winner too - we would have saved hundreds from that alone. I found all the midwives to be wonderful and let me do what I wanted through my whole labour. I ended up as FTP and emergency c-section, and they even gave me a councilling session before hand as I was so disappointed - very wonderful people there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Dr Tui and thought he was sweet. He was happy for me to have a natural, drug free birth if things went smoothly, and if they didn't we would discuss things as we went. So he's a kind of 'go with the flow' kind of dr. I ended up going almost 2 weeks over, and had my waters broken. The labour progressed really well after that and it was a lovely (yes painful too) experience. The midwives at northwest are exceptional, and I was so sad to leave them at the end of the week that I cried. They really were so kind and helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add I had my own room the whole time, and got upgradede to the queen room at the end of the week. They'll let your partner sleep over for a fee if you're not sharing a room. It's a first in best dressed system for rooms, most people seem to get their own, unless it's really busy.