ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I pay over $300 per week for child care and yet don't even get 1/4 of what you do - I say pay the school fees with that

CSA and your ex cannot tell you what to do with the money though as it is actually paid in arrears, therefore is just a reimbursement of what you have already spent on your son, spend it however because you pay for your son's needs either way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would use it for whatever you feel it needs to go towards, but wouldn't ask extra unless he offers to pay for other things. I have one friend with a very involved ex (not with her, with the child) and he pays the child support amount for her, pays her extra rent so she could afford a nicer area, and pays for the child's sporting and music. The mother works, but nearly all her money goes on rent and groceries while he lives quite well and lives with his mother rent-free. They both know that if he ever has to move out of his mother's house he may not be able to contribute as much.

However, she's the only one I've ever heard of with an ex like that!

As for me, mine has just gone from $2.30/week to $6.50/week so it won't cover school fees or anything else for that matter

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I put it towards everything. All the money goes into together and i just pay it out to whatever needs to be paid. If im struggling and and need more i will ask the ex and he usually pays up if he is able too.

No i wouldn't ask for him to pay the school fees if the child is in your care. If the child is in his care and needs to go to DC then he should pay for those times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure he has a right, to say how 20% of the child support is spent, as long as its over a certain amount, this happened in our case a year or two ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks for all the replies!

I will pay kinder fees with it, and by the time he is in 4 y.o. kinder (2012 as he's repeating 3 y.o.), it will be subsidised so hopefully there will be less to pay. Not sure how I'll go once I am living in my own place and paying off a mortgage, but I'll cross that bridge once I get to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jen023 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he has a right, to say how 20% of the child support is spent, as long as its over a certain amount, this happened in our case a year or two ago
    This doesn't seem fair since it's paid in ARREARS and is therefore reimbursement for what's ALREADY been spent on the child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would think that unless you have some other kind of documented agreement you are expected to pay the child care fees what whatever income you have coming in - child support, FTB whatever.
    XH and i have a private agreement drawn up with our solictiors stating that once DD is old enough to go to school he will pay child support and 75% of school fees and school associated bills (uniform, books, excursions). This is because XH insists that DD attend catholic or private school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    This doesn't seem fair since it's paid in ARREARS and is therefore reimbursement for what's ALREADY been spent on the child
    When we paid child support, we always were a month in front? I know other friends who also were in this situation, they either got a chocie of how 20% was spend or vice versa
    I think it's mainly for when you pay $200 or so a week, and the other person complains no money for new clothes, after school activities etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jen023 View Post
    When we paid child support, we always were a month in front? I know other friends who also were in this situation, they either got a chocie of how 20% was spend or vice versa
    I think it's mainly for when you pay $200 or so a week, and the other person complains no money for new clothes, after school activities etc
    I guess that could be because if someone is receiving $200/week in CS, their FTB would be at the base rate and the rent assistance at a nil amount. After a little bit of CS, the Centrelink payments for FTB and Rent Assistance (combined) is reduced dollar for dollar. So that money can also be to make up for the lost Family Tax Benefit.

This is where I don't understand it.

In my cousin's situation, they get the FULL amounts for FTB and Rent Assistance, yet if she left him (not that it would happen but we looked at it one day to see what would happen financially) she'd be receiving a nil amount of Rent Assistance, have access to only a small percentage of his income (one child under 18 together, the other 2 are adults) and the FTB would be down to the base rate. She also receives Austudy now but would get a higher rate of Austudy without his income, but would still not be able to survive on that amount.

So as a single person, on a very low income, she'd be receiving a fraction of what she gets now partnered with someone working in management. i don't get it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Child Support Payments
    $1,335/year, FTB Part A decreases for 50c/dollar
    Base rate is $50.12/fn Minimum.

Rent Assistance
    Rent Assistance is affected by child support in the same way that Family Tax Benefit Part A is affected.

This is taken from the Centrelink page. In essence, the payee loses dollar for dollar, so I also don't think it's fair to expect it not to go on rent when the recipient is not receiving Rent Assistance because of the Child Support amount.