+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Carpal tunnel syndrome. Does splinting work?

I've got horrid carpal tunnel in my dominant hand. Currently 38&1/2 weeks pregnant. Keep hoping to have this baby now and hopefully it'll go away but at night when it keeps me awake (like now) I think maybe I should buy a splint. I've seen them for around $30 but don't know if they're any good. Has anyone had success with splinting or any other treatment (not surgury - I'm not considering that at this stage)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had that with dd3 and not so bad with dd4 but it goes away sortly after bubs is born, try lying on your side with your hand dangling over the side of the bed. I didnt know about splinting but my MIL had the op and it made her useless for acouple of weeks (in a nice way she just couldnt do anything).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Splints didn't work for me, but tubigrip (tubular bandage) helped a bit. You can get it from the chemist, they usually sell it in a roll, and they just cut off the length you want. I had it from fingers to elbow, and cut a hole for my thumb.

It will get better after bub is here! I think it was about 2 weeks after birth when i noticed it wasn't hurting anymore and there were no more tingles.

Not long to go now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's the feeling you get in it at night?? Iv got it too ATM jut got it actually and my hand was aching last night a d then I woke up to a limp hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boysnpregnant View Post
    What's the feeling you get in it at night?? Iv got it too ATM jut got it actually and my hand was aching last night a d then I woke up to a limp hand.
    It feels like a cross between numbness and pins and needles. Also have lack of strength - cant make a fist to squeeze out a washer etc.

Thanks for the advice motheroffour and kiki07. Will try it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got CTS all throughout my first preg and was told to splint when I slept. I did find that when I put the splint on the pins and needles got worse. But they did help a lot during the day simply because it was rested in the same position for the night.

After the preg, when it should have gone away, it didn't. Even after a long time. In fact it got worse. When I had it checked out, it turned out I also had De Quervian's Tenosynovitis. Bit of a mouthful, but you'll know you have it if you can't use make a pinching movement with your thumb and fingers (like to pull a book off a shelf or hold a plate). I was overcompensating for not being able to use my thumb by overusing my other fingers, making it look like I had CTS.

I didn't want surgery either, I tried all the different types of physio and exercise treatments around and even a thumb splint wasn't helping. Eventually I got ultrasound treatment. I was very doubtful about it at first, but after 3 or 4 treatments, I haven't had a problem since!

Maybe ultrasound might work for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor you. I had it terribly with DD. Additionally, I was induced and had a drip in the affected hand for 12 hours which sent the pain out of the roof. (My hand hurt more post partem than anything else ).

For me splinting did help a lot and so did taking fish oil tablets. It didnt go away after birth so I spent nearly a year having cortisone (sp?) injections (which helped for a little while) before having to resort to surgery (which cured it immediately). It was incrediably painful and in the end I was totally unable to sleep without painkillers. Surgery meant 3 weeks of no lifting or getting my hand wet or changing nappies - no small task with a baby and a toddler! The strength in that hand is slightly reduced - need help with jars and really heavy lifting.

I had De Quervian's Tenosynovitis post partem with my first pregnancy - but that resolved itself.

The difference between the two wastthat the De Quervians was totally in the wrists and I felt it any time I tried to lift anything and the carpel tunnel was like cramps and pins and needles in my fingers (funnily enough - it doesnt affect your little finger - so no pain there is a sure fire indicator of carpel tunnel) which became significantly worse at night.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy - hope your hand feels better soon!
    Last edited by Raising Leprechauns; 15-07-2010 at 10:17. Reason: spelling

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    CTS in pregnancy usually resolves after birth, but you will need to go easy on that wrist for a while. Splinting works beautifully for some, not for 100% of people.

If you do try a splint it needs to have your wrist in a neutral position. That is, with the back of your hand making a straight line with the back of your forearm. Most of the commercially available ones have the wrist in an angled up position, which is no good and could make it worse. You can get some that have a metal insert that you can bend straight for the right angle.

As far as sleeping goes, again, keeping your wrist straight is the key and reducing pressure by not sleeping with it under the pillow.

Alternately, go to your GP and get a referral to an occupational therapist.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Splints helped me a lot. After the birth it went away but now I have pain in the thumb area, wonder if it's the same as the others have mentioned. At night I can barely pick up DD. Voltaren also helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I resorted to taking panadol twice last night which took the edge off and enabled me to get back to sleep. I dont think I can take voltaren while I'm still pregnant? Ultrasound? Interesting... I'm still hoping to have the baby soon ("due" in 2 days) and hope it'll go away on its own, but if not might look into the ultrasound. Thanks for all your feedback and advice, ladies