+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time pregnant and sick

Ive been stalking the bubhub forum for 2 weeks getting answers to my questions by reading others posts. My doc told me to join when i found out i was pregnant as he said this is the best place to get little niggling questions answered that dont really require a doctor. He wasnt trying to get rid of me because i wasnt asking that many questions of him he just thought as this is my first time pregnancy but i have 3 step children and not alot of time to go to the doctors for little silly things this would be a good place. so far it has worked and ive had alot of my questions answered, even though im not the one asking.

So ive joined because as far as pregnancy symptoms go ive been pretty lucky ive had no morning sickness and only get queazy if i let myself get too hungry. I do have bad fatigue which is not great with 3 little kids running around and very sore breasts and mild like period pain cramping and headaches. This pregnancy was not planned my partner wanted to try in a few months i wanted to wait another two years but bam it happened now. So i wasnt on pregnancy vitamins before i got pregnant however i was on normal vitamins. As soon as i found out i was pregnant 4 weeks and 4 days i switched to the pregnancy vitamins. However my doc has decided to put me on ferro-f rather than the elevit and the extra folic acid i was taking.

Yesterday i got a severe headache and very lightheaded to the point i thought i would pass out my face felt very hot but my temp was normal/ I lied down later in the afternoon and just as i was about to go to the doctors because i thought there was something seriously wrong the light headedness started to fade and i started getting a bad cough and realised i was getting the flu. I have two sick step children at home but they have a tummy bug not the flu so i dont know how i got this. I ended up sleeping on the lounge last night because i couldnt cool myself down and the lounge is directly under the fan but i still did not have a tempreture. Ive woken up this morning and my cough is bad my chest is aching and im weak and feel lightheaded when i stand up still no temp though.

Ive search the internet a little this morning about flu's and the first trimester of pregnancy and all i can get is one site said it was normal because your immune system goes down while pregnant and another saying you should be careful. Ive only been taking panadol to make myself comfortable which is not working and really need something else to stop the coughing.

My first question is in the first trimester is a cold or flu something to worry about ?

and

what can i take to stop the coughing ?

This is gonna sound really stupid but bare with me im a first time pregnant. Im worried if a violently cough it could do something to the baby. I know how stupid that sounds particularly when my youngest stepdaughter climbs all over me and ive copped a couple of light knees to the stomach already but this thought crept into my head while i was coughing bad last night and know i cant get it out.
    Last edited by 1tpreg; 02-07-2010 at 05:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    congrats on your pregnancy. I don't have kids but from what i have seen on here some suggestions

Don't take any drugs unless you check with chemist including over the counter cough things

Pretty sure panafol is ok though?

Keep up your fluids. Dehydration is what risky for baby.

Coughing is uncomfortable but i think baby is pretty safe and protected inside. It's more dehydration and severe cramping that are the worry i think?

Sip on lemon and honey infused water for cough. Also gargle salt water several times a day. Don't swallow as salt water will make you sick.

Maybe go to doc to be safe.

Hope your feeling better soon. Xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh and almost everyone on here who is or was pregnant seem to have a bug cold flu thing early on. I think it's pretty standard as your immunity drop and it's winter. Just keep an eye on things and watch your temp maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i just wanted to add that i would go to doc to get checked out too. It's prob just a cold but better safe than sorry. And above is just my opinion i don't want to lead you astray.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    congrats on bubba!

This is #2 for me and ive been sick with various things moer often so far than been able to enjoy anything. Ive had 2 severe ear infections, a chest infection and i still have this gross chesty cough that i cant shake!

I was given an antibiotic to cure my ear as it was pretty bad, but other than that my doctor said to just sitck it out, as other than panadol there isnt alot else we can take to help.

I agree with countrymumma2b, i would def get your cold/flu checked by the doc, as anything else might make you sicker (but not necesarily affect bubs). Mine told me if anything is going around, im pretty much gonna get it! Oh and get your bp checked, it might have dropped if you are sick and thats what might cause your light headedness

Coughs are pretty much just uncomfy for us, as bubs have a lot of room when you arent far along, and me being 30 weeks all i have to do is make sure i dont wet myself from the pressure

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got over a cold with a really bad cough, I only drank warm water and the honey and lemon water which i made really hot before i went to bed and when i woke up (no cold drinks as they aggravate the cough trigger). I also took garlic tablets (not garlic and horse radish just garlic) which cleared up the mucus straight away other then that you just have to grin and bare it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive made an appointment im not having trouble with food or water but i got a sort of muscle weakness trembling. It only started when i was carrying my stepdaughter for a while who is about 17kg. I went to the chemist and they said they couldnt give me anything because its the decongestants in cough medicine that are harmful and over the counter medicines contain it. They told me panadol, butter menthols and lots of fluids so im doing all that but ill go to the doctors anyway. They also told me not to drink my tea, the doc said it was fine to have 1 regular tea per day (caffiene) but they said no because it will slow the process of getting better down. So i have to say goodbye to my beloved one cup of tea which i really do need so that im a slightly pleasant person in the mornings.

Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi 1tpreg !

First up, congrats on your pregnancy...! (as early as it is for you....)

I had a horrible cold a few weeks ago, and as you have already mentioned, was told I couldn't take anything for it... oh the joy of pregnancy! Beyond rest, panadol and fluids, there isn't much you can do...

My cold included a huge cough, and as annoying as it was (and occasionally brought up the odd even while 34 weeks pregnant!) I don't think it affects bubs at all. They are so protected in there.... keep in mind I'm not a Dr tho!

So glad you found this website. You get ALL your answers here. It was nice of your Dr to recommend coming here. My Dr forbid me to visit forums, but poo to him I say!

And remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, especially about pregnancy. As a first timer too, I've discovered there is SO much to learn, but at least we get 9 months to learn it all....