+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational diabetes: needing less insulin at 32 weeks?

Hi guys! I've been a long time lurker, only just officially joined today. I've found this board incredibly useful when you have those three in the morning "What the hell is that" kind of symptoms. It's a lot like being able to have a chat with a friend and find out what their experiences are, without actually doing that at three in the morning and lose that friend!
    I've scoured the GD threads to try and find someone else whose had the same situation without any luck at the moment. I am a little different to other GD'ers in that I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance before pregnancy, so I guess I've more in common with Type II than GD. Anyway, had a great first tri when it came to blood sugar levels, if I could eat (MS!) it didn't seem to matter what I ate, my bgls were all around 5.something. My HB1AC was 5.0 which was awesome.
    As was to be expected, this has steadily worsened, with me being put on insulin about 8 weeks ago. My fastings were the ones which initially got worse, around 5.8-6.0, so was put on Protophen (26 units). Then in the last few weeks my after meals have been getting 8.0s, even with more and more carb reduction, so am now on Novorapid (6 units) after each meal for the past three weeks.
    This all seemed pretty normal to me and what I expected from reading extensively about GD. What's freaked me out in the past few days is all of a sudden I'm developing hypos (NEVER happened prior to this in the pregnancy and not for years pre-pregnancy) or much lower readings. I'm getting 3.0s, and after much bigger meals with a lot more carbs in them than I would normally allow myself. I have talked to my diabetes educator and lowered Novorapid dosage, especially in the morning when it seems to be at it's worst, but am really suprised at my increasing insulin sensitivity. Everything I've read says that you get worse and worse until just before the birth and then it gets better, but I still have a fair way to go!
    My concern is that the little info I have been able to find about lessening insulin needs is usually when the placenta is being broken down early. You produce less of the hormone that makes you insulin resistant because the placenta isn't working so well. This of course, freaks me out, baby is still moving around reasonably regularly and I am keeping an eye on movement just in case. I have brought this up with the DE but she kinda just dismissed it.
    Anyone else in the same boat? Or experienced something similar? Not sure if it's relevant, but I am measuring weeks ahead, at 31 weeks I was measuring 37 weeks (US and fundal, though of course, this can be inaccurate!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, as you posted a month ago or so, I guess you have resolved the problem. But if your hypos are morning ones it could be that the Protophane is still in your system and interacting with the Novorapid. So I wouldn't worry too much. Insulin is a tricky thing to be on!

I recall getting hypos around the same time in my 2nd pregnancy, and had them a lot in my 3rd but was on even more insulin then. I am one of those people who need heaps f insulin for GD but pass the GTT when not pregnant. eg Last pregnancy was on over 200 units a day! Its odd as I have no risk factors apart from age over 30.

Hope all is going well now.

Sue