Closed Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OK I am adding my DD's B'day cakes & I made them both

This is her 1st birthday

Her 2nd birthday cake(which was today)
    Last edited by Cupcake; 19-02-2008 at 15:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always try making nice cakes for my kids birthdays too, this year i am stumped. We are having a birthday party for my son in 2 weeks he will be 3. I was going to make him a car cake and ice it in colors of the wiggles car cause he loves the wiggles but i cant find a nice car cake that i can go off of.

Catherine

Mum to Blaze and Bailey

subaruforestermum is offline Love me or hate me...that's your problem only....
    Vote for veve! Cheekiest Mod!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Terrible2, you can always buy the edible pistures for cakes to put on your sons cake....

They are easy to use, and you can still decorate it to make it your own....

Good luck, will keep my eyes out for suggestions for you....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that suggestion, might have to think about that one.

Catherine

Mum to Blaze and Bailey

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was a poohbear fan and so her birthday cakes followed that theme:
    1st Birthday
    2nd Birthday
    She had a Piglet cake for her third birthday but DP was in charge of the camera and we never got a photo of it.
    4th Birthday
    DD1 then grew out of poohbear and had 2 birthdays for her 5th birthday. I made a Blue my little pony with rainbow coloured hair for her australian party (Cant find the pic of it for the life of me) she then had a 2nd party in NZ
    I also made a tweety cake for a friends sisters 14th
    My sister had a diva cake
    And this is the cake I made for DD2's Christianing earlier this year.

I love the bday balloon cake and mentioned it to my partner for DD2's 1st birthday!

Sorry about the quality of the pics I dont have a scanner so did the digital camera thing, not very good quality....
    Last edited by NZMama; 29-08-2006 at 15:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    okay ladies...i need some help.

I bought some cool cookie cutters from Big W- $14 for a BOX FULL!!!

So i made my trial run yesterday...the cake turned out great. I bought orchard white icing and added some yellow food colouring and went on my merry way kneading it.

But it stuck to my kitchen bench. I used icing sugar on the bench and rolled the icing out using the rolling pin...went to lift it to put on the cake...and it was stuck to my bench!!! Any ideas as to why? OR what can i do so that it doesn't stick to the bench?

I'm going to do another trial run on the weekend.

Oh...and all those pictures of the cakes mummies have made...they are AWESOME....i'm impressed with how well you have all done!

Thanks guys.

Mrs Little & Son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Little View Post
    okay ladies...i need some help.

I bought some cool cookie cutters from Big W- $14 for a BOX FULL!!!

So i made my trial run yesterday...the cake turned out great. I bought orchard white icing and added some yellow food colouring and went on my merry way kneading it.

But it stuck to my kitchen bench. I used icing sugar on the bench and rolled the icing out using the rolling pin...went to lift it to put on the cake...and it was stuck to my bench!!! Any ideas as to why? OR what can i do so that it doesn't stick to the bench?
    I'm going to do another trial run on the weekend.

Oh...and all those pictures of the cakes mummies have made...they are AWESOME....i'm impressed with how well you have all done!

Thanks guys.

Mrs Little & Son.
    Ok, is it Pure Icing Sugar????? I had this same problem at first, cos I didnt have Pure icing sugar.....and you need to add a fair bit, the more you knead it, the softer it gets, so this is why it is becoming so sticky.....once it is kneaded, try dusting the icing sugar over the whole lot, then dust the rolling pin, and make sure before you roll it out the bench is still coated with icing sugar..........sorry to ramble. Oh, and you could possibly be rolling it out too thinly.....good luck

Also, is your bench smooth, if it is bumpy texture, it will stick cos it is uneven.....hope this has helped
    Last edited by subaruforestermum; 31-08-2006 at 08:32. Reason: had to add

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to add.....these cakes are really great ladies, and Im sure they will help others who are stuck for ideas....keep on posting the fantastic cakes Bub hub ladies make

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou soooooooooooo much Subaruforestermum.

I didn't realise there was much difference between pure icing sugar and other icing sugar. Will have to check that out. I was using the orchard icing.

My bench is a little lumpy- has texture...so maybe i should be rolling it out onto something else?

I will put heaps of pure icing sugar on the bench and rolling pin next time...yes i do think i was rolling it out a little thin. If you knead it less will that stop it from getting sticky? I was kneading it a bit to get the yellow food colouring through...maybe i need to be more specifc in where i put the food colouring?

Thanks again for your help. I'll try again on the weekend.

Mrs Little & Son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All your cakes look so fantastic!

Hope someone can help me out...

I am looking for a duck cake recipe! Does anyone know of one? Or where I could find one? My DD's first birthday is quickly approaching, and I would love to make her a duck cake.

Thanks heaps,

Rachel